Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Is true is a nice adition , better than a "liniar" game.

But i think Larian is overdoing it a bit more . The whole gamplay so far is about this now .

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cristaldragon

Nevertheles i hope we stop with this over usage of flying stuff in Bg3 as i've seen 4 gamplays and in each there was at least one enemy flying from a cliff or tower .
smile

D:OS1&2 appeal is moving status effects out of character sheet into the battlefield. While it won’t be quite the same for BG3 it seems they want to keep that part of intuitive interactivity - and they seem to latch to advantage that comes with higher ground. And they seem to provide quite a few tools to manipulate positions - push, jump, spells etc. Some of those do look rather silly.

I don’t see why wizard couldn’t jump. He should have better jumping capability then warrior in heavy armor with shield and sword. Still, I would hope for jump to be tied to skills - like acrobatics or athletics.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Because wizards read books and don't hit the gym and warriors hit the gym and lean into brute strenght .

( Edwin never had the makings of a varsity athlete ) smile

Rule 101 of the rpg - smile smile

But - the enemy takes the high ground and you have all the tools in the first turn to negate his said advantage. Becomes pointles if an ambush on high ground is 100% a ticket down . AI is already dumb, having him take extra hits is not helping .

Maybe in higher dificulties you would take some caution on finding enemies .

( than again i refer to like 3 gameplay videos on YT where the enemies were there just to take the beatings - )

Some penality on str , mobility , agility and battlefield coverage should be given to different classes ....even there is non in 5E .

And 5E is just an number , so that means sometime in future there will be a 5F or a 6A ..... you can always improve on rules sets as done before too

veteran
veteran
Because wizards read books and don't hit the gym and warriors hit the gym and lean into brute strenght .

And likely most wizards will have low strenght and won’t invest in athletic skills. Sill, if one want to make a more interesting build with multiclassing, I see no reason to create artificial limits.

Rule 101 of an RPG - allow players to create a character they want to create. If it’s muscled wizard then it would be nice if game had a use and benefit for that.

Also I remember Swen mentioning that unusually powerful jumps and pushes are tied to tadpole in our head. So there is that - you wizard is being changed into Captain Amer.., Mindflayer.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Tadpole actualy feed on brain power and you become weaker ( lore) . So thats out the window .

veteran
veteran
Tadpole actualy feed on brain power and you become weaker ( lore) . So thats out the window .

Tadpole in BG3 grants user special strenghts (like mind trick thing) and by succumbing to its power seems to have some form of consequence.

Those are not usual tadpoles and they have been created for the needs of BG3. What it exactly encompasses remains to be discovered, those there are some interesting bits and pieces spread as across various interviews.

I think what would impress me the most is if they are secretly creating a full story line for those that give in to the tadpole and become some form of mind flayer. Now, I know this isn't the case...the work required would just be too much and cost wouldn't be justified. BUT...if you went down an evil path, always giving in to the tadpole and then you turn...and then a whole new storyline appears...how.epic. Whatever BG3's endgame goal is...like killing x monster before it destroys (city, world, etc), then your new goal would be to kill the heroes that are trying to stop that from happening. or something like that.
And by 'some form' of mindflayer I mean something that is part of the mind flayer community but not necessarily an illithid, for obvious reasons (they can fly and don't have individual thoughts/goal, that'd make it difficult).

W
veteran
veteran
W

( Edwin never had the makings of a varsity athlete ) smile

Rule 101 of the rpg - smile smile

But - the enemy takes the high ground and you have all the tools in the first turn to negate his said advantage. Becomes pointles if an ambush on high ground is 100% a ticket down . AI is already dumb, having him take extra hits is not helping .

Maybe in higher dificulties you would take some caution on finding enemies .

( than again i refer to like 3 gameplay videos on YT where the enemies were there just to take the beatings - )

Some penality on str , mobility , agility and battlefield coverage should be given to different classes ....even there is non in 5E .

And 5E is just an number , so that means sometime in future there will be a 5F or a 6A ..... you can always improve on rules sets as done before too

There are wizard spells to make wizards faster, stronger, and jump further. Your physical attributes should depend on your physical attributes, not your class. Strength will be the dump stat for most wizards, but if you want to make a wizard with 18 Str then there should not be some arbitrary reason that you can’t.

Also, just an aside: 5E stands for D&D 5th Edition. After 5E comes 6E, 7E, etc...

Your ideas don’t seem to me to be an improvement on 5E. D&D has been moving more towards less restrictive, more customizable classes. You are just suggesting a bunch of pointless limitations.

veteran
veteran
I remember in Bg2 chars could perma die .

Iron Man mode with permadeath won't be in Early Access, but will be in the full release of the game.

https://youtu.be/S5__muccL1c?list=WL&t=3373

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I remember in Bg2 chars could perma die .

Iron Man mode with permadeath won't be in Early Access, but will be in the full release of the game.
https://youtu.be/S5__muccL1c?list=WL&t=3373

I don't think that's what he means. Some deaths would make it impossible to resurrect a companion - if the body wasn't intact (be it explosion or desintegration) or some death spells the characters would be dead - dead. I don't know if it's still in 5e. I am not terribly fond of those (failed save against this spell RELOAD) but I imagine it would be beneficial if we couldn't resurect our companions out of some situations - like vampire spawn sucking our companion dry.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I don't think that's what he means. Some deaths would make it impossible to resurrect a companion - if the body wasn't intact (be it explosion or desintegration) or some death spells the characters would be dead - dead. I don't know if it's still in 5e. I am not terribly fond of those (failed save against this spell RELOAD) but I imagine it would be beneficial if we couldn't resurect our companions out of some situations - like vampire spawn sucking our companion dry.

When I say permadeath isn't a thing in D&D, it has an asterisk, because depending on the magic and resources available, death can be permanent

Without a body or body parts, the only way to revive someone is through True Resurrection, which is a level 9 spell, so out of reach for all but the most high level characters, and it's super-expensive.

Resurrection is required for severe body damage or dead longer than like 10 days, or for those turned into undead (I think).

Raise Dead needs an pretty intact body dead less than 10 days.

Revivify only works for 1 minute after death.

S
veteran
veteran
S
>allowing resurrection in your campaign

Not in mine i dont...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard