Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PUR3ICE Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
In the worlds of DnD there is a certain set of rules for lost limbs and prosthetics.
While is something more or less rare, it could add something new and intresting for the game. (if not allready planned)
For example, you could sacrifice one of your arms in one act of helping in a quest very early in the game. For example pulling out a child from a burning building where no options are left to recover it in a safe way.
You find yourself in a situation of survival with little to no means of food. Struggling to live and feed yourself, you find a magical beast in the same situation in the same area. You could kill and eat it. The beast so weak it allmost cannot defend itself. Or you could sacrifice your leg and offer it as food for the beast.
Dealing with the underground wheels, thievery and lords of drugs and crime. You betray them / you work with them- and the punishment for that ? You can choose yourself. Be it your arm, be it your legs?

This would create another background for your character and dialoge options for some of the best and the worst smiths, trader of high and rare quality, legendary mechanical craftmanship from the gnomes, undead arms from hidden necromancers or just a wooden replacement or the typical hook arm from the carpenter as the first step.
Maybe you have to sacrifce the most important part of your character, be it your right arm (or left arm, not to punishing) for the fighter, the leg for a rogue or monk and only these classes can sacrifice limbs.
It would open your personal questline to improve that limb as you progress.
You maybee sacrifice early game power for lategame scaling (the magical beast returns a great gift to you, the child was a kid from a mighty noble, you gain massive respect and reputation among the people for betraying the crime lord or befriedning with him and be punished by the law)
You could get situational strong early game power (summoning the magical beast), but beeing weaker on longer fights without the ability to rest and regain the ability to summon one beast, once a day.
It could give you dialoge options to beg, to persuade, sacrificing will not stop you to achive what you want.
There could be limbs linked with items that only such a person can use. A legendary crossbow arm, only for those who walked the path of sacrfice.
The beast returns and brings you the claws of a dragon.
Your undead leg gives you the ability to kick the enemy as a free or bonus action with necrotic damage after you attacked your enemys.

Forgive me for my rusty english skills.
This is just some kind of idea that could be really cool and depending on the way you play and the paths you choose.
Or DLC giftbag worthy smile

Last edited by PUR3ICE; 10/09/20 12:52 AM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
I’m going to be honest, this is a pretty weird thing to include and it’s probably not going to happen.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I’m going to be honest, this is a pretty weird thing to include and it’s probably not going to happen.

I dunno, maybe it's a bit more realistic than the usual RPG thing of "I'm almost fatally injured, I'll just drink this potion or use the Magic Spongeâ„¢ and now I'm completely healed!"

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
This is the kind of thing which can work well in the tabletop, with a human GM providing all the content and reactivity. I kinda think Larian has enough problems with getting reactivity to work as it is for all the existing backgrounds without adding in brand new "artificial limbs" backgrounds and personal questlines.

Originally Posted by Warlocke

To be blunt, this.

PUR3ICE Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ahh i wasn't thinking about it as a consequence of some hard battles with injures that are so fatal that you lose your arm.
But decisions you make and options you take.
You give something up and get something else.

(unless a consequence of a hard boss fight, he does die but tries to take something away from you)(((reminds me of the naruto scene with Sarutobi vs orichimaru)))

It is indeed very weird and very optional. It could be even restricted to a class, to make this class more intresting. If, for whatever reason your fighter/monk run seems to boring. There would be an option to spice it up abit.
A deal with the devil and you lose your arm by magical means with no way to recover it, but getting an artifical replacement.
Just one of many ideas i have and this one wanted to be spilled out.

journeyman
journeyman
There are official 5e implements for this sort of thing, though they're specific to Eberron IIRC, and don't apply directly to Forgotten Realms.

EDIT: Actually I think I'm confusing something from an older edition or Pathfinder, gonna go double check myself.

Last edited by Annyliese; 10/09/20 01:35 AM.
veteran
veteran
That`s usual in games like Warhammer & W40k RPG, where you have long-term injuries and as Annyliese said it´s from the Eberron setting. It´s also used in campaigns with the "Gritty rules" or "Dark ´Dungeons" variant ruleset.

The Prosthetic limbs are also artificers items, and since the artificer would not be in the EA at least, I do not think we would see it.

As an idea for an Artificer DLC that would be awesome. They would have to create a "permanent injuries" mechanic that does not seem to fit the kind of game Larian use to talk about in interviews but could be interesting to use it in high level difficulties or maybe an ironman/survival mode.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard