Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chasm83 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So I am 20 hours into the game and I am getting CONSTANT crashes to desktop. Sometimes every 20-30 minutes. Sometimes every 5 minutes. 30 minutes into a fight and about to land the killing blow on the final NPC? Crash. Very last dialogue choice after a 5 minute dialogue tree with a party member? Immersion destroying game crash. It is bordering on unplayable or at the absolute least destroying any desire to play the game. Ive sent somewhere near 20 crash reports to Larian and have probably spent half my playtime researching article after article trying to resolve the issue. The crash is always during gameplay and directly to desktop with a pop up to send Larian a crash report- never a system hardlock.

My system is as follows-
Asus MG279Q 1440p freesync monitor
Windows 10
Intel 4790k CPU, Corsair H110 AIO cooler
Power Color Red Devil Radeon 5700XT gpu
16GB of Corsair RAM
EVGA 1000W PSU
EVGA Z87 Classified motherboard.

I've already been through the sticky in this sub forum and tried most if not all of the suggestions. This includes updating drivers, disabling Steam cloud saves, launching from the executable in the game's directory, verifying the files using Steam, turning on and off frame cap limits at 90fps since thats the maximum hz of the monitor, reinstalling Direct X and uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft C++. I do have whatever Radeon software comes packaged with the drivers but I am not overclocking the card at all. To my knowledge Powercolor doesnt even have their own software suite for that like MSI/EVGA do.

What makes this exponentially more frustrating is I can't see whatever information is in the crash report before it is sent. I don't know where it goes. It might as well be a pop up box that says 'Lol your game just crashed!' for all the effectiveness it does for me to try and research the issue additionally on my own. So if it is forum etiquette for me to post crash dump files, I gladly will if I'm told how to access and share them. Trying to look for crash reasons with Event Viewer like the FAQ suggests does not list any errors specifically naming DOS2. Please help. I'm at my wits end here and would rather not just uninstall.

Support
Support

In the Event Viewer, try searching for EoCApp.exe.

The crash reports are sent directly to the programmers, and are reviewed when preparing new game updates.

CrashDump files are (usually) created in the install folder '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin'. Zip a few together, along with the gold.log file in the same folder, and email it to supportdos2@larian.com. Alternately, you can email / post / PM a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc.

Did you try a lower FPS cap, such as 60?
Did any of the troubleshooting (lower graphics settings, windowed mode, a clean boot, etc) seem to affect the frequency of the crashes?

Chasm83 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So Im back. Nothing has improved. I was one of the insanely lucky few to have an order go through and actually get an Nvidia 3080 gpu. 80% of the reason for purchasing the card was to eliminate crashing thinking it was something with my 5700XT. Crashing has not improved at all. In fact, sometimes I'm lucky if I go 6 or 7 minutes without another crash.

Originally Posted by Raze

In the Event Viewer, try searching for EoCApp.exe.

The crash reports are sent directly to the programmers, and are reviewed when preparing new game updates.

CrashDump files are (usually) created in the install folder '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin'. Zip a few together, along with the gold.log file in the same folder, and email it to supportdos2@larian.com. Alternately, you can email / post / PM a Dropbox or Google drive link, etc.

Did you try a lower FPS cap, such as 60?
Did any of the troubleshooting (lower graphics settings, windowed mode, a clean boot, etc) seem to affect the frequency of the crashes?

I have tried lowering the frame cap to 60 in case it was some kind of weird conflict with my monitor. I have also tried a fresh install of the game. Neither have reduced the frequencies of crashing. In fact Ive even tried changing things in Regedit according to these posts due to supposed conflicts with certain game engines-

https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/gpu-drivers-crash-with-long-computations-128745489.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/a080d2/dxgi_error_device_removed_i_dont_think_its_my/

Nothing has worked. The only change after changing over to the 3080 is that more often I have gotten a specific Direct X error after a crash saying something along the lines of 'Device removed' which is why I tried the Regedit solutions above. I just now experienced yet another crash. Here is one of the crash reports from Event Viewer if that helps-

Faulting application name: EoCApp.exe, version: 3.6.69.4648, time stamp: 0x5f1df8f0
Faulting module name: nvwgf2umx.dll, version: 27.21.14.5638, time stamp: 0x5f5fc55e
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0000000001114b3c
Faulting process id: 0x1024
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6a8040f91ac24
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity Original Sin 2\DefEd\bin\EoCApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_bd1e27f8bb4a9e01\nvwgf2umx.dll
Report Id: e4adda8f-995a-44be-a347-e03f84807824
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Its a testament to how much I like the game that Ive continued to play it after dealing with rampant crashing where any gaming session is half dealing with research or making up lost progress due to a crash. The main reason I wanted to play through DOS2 was to finish it before Baldurs Gate 3 but if that game has anything approaching the same issue, count me out.

Support
Support

There are other things you can try for the DirectX device removed error.

A clean install of the drivers can help, but you presumably would have done so already for the video card upgrade. Given the latest crash in the video drivers, it couldn't hurt to try, though; see here or here, for example.

Several people have reported fixing this error by using MSI Afterburner (topic / download) to slightly underclock their graphics card ('lower both the "Core Clock" and "Memory Clock" options by around 100 (so they say -100). Apply and close.'). Generally that is enough, though one person reported that the initial test didn't help, but a slightly more aggressive underclock did (IIRC it was something like -200 or -250).
If the GPU / CPU / RAM are currently overclocked, just returning to stock values may help.

There are a couple D:OS EE topics on this error (it seems to be rarer in D:OS 2; it has been reported a couple of times for Baldur's Gate 3, once caused by overclocking):

DXGI ERROR Crash - turned WIN 10 conflict (reverting back to Win 8 avoided the problem)

DXGI device removed error/CreateTexture2D failed (fixed by a clean reinstall of the video drivers)

As mentioned in the second topic, there is a program called TDR Manipulator that can change a Windows setting to control if and how Windows restarts the video drivers. Telling Windows to stop the resets may eliminate the crashes with the game, though if there is an actual problem causing the resets it will not be fixed, and could potentially lead to the computer freezing.

Do you have a spare hard drive you could try a clean install of Windows on (10 again, or 7/8 if available)? It is a little extreme if you are not having any problems with other games/software, but might be easier than continuing to troubleshoot semi-randomly.
Installing to a new drive would let you easily revert to the original configuration if it didn't help, and if it does you could set up a dual boot and reboot to play, or take your time migrating exiting programs and settings/data to the new install.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard