Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 138
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 138
In Baldur's Gate III, have developers provided the tools players would need to create their own custom modules? For example, players might want to kiss the foot of an Orc instead of a Goblin, and would like to include an alternative or additional event where an Orc's foot is kissed. Fans might want a series of foot kissing side quests, where Kobold and Hobgoblin feet were kissed too. Or you might prefer to kiss the Goblin lips, or some other part of the body...

This aspect of taking control of the events/creating modules was a vital part of the success of Neverwinter Nights, which had the Aurora Toolset:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_toolset

Allowing players to create their own dungeons and script the behaviour of the monsters would enormously leverage the hard work Larian have made.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,340
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,340
My understanding is that modding tools will be made available some time after the full release. Larian are generally pro-modding so while I can't say for certain what will happen (nor when) I would expect it to be a thing.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 690
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by Languid Lizard
For example, players might want to kiss the foot of an Orc instead of a Goblin, and would like to include an alternative or additional event where an Orc's foot is kissed. Fans might want a series of foot kissing side quests, where Kobold and Hobgoblin feet were kissed too.

Hello Mr. Tarantino.

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 138
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by vometia
My understanding is that modding tools will be made available some time after the full release. Larian are generally pro-modding so while I can't say for certain what will happen (nor when) I would expect it to be a thing.

Thank you, vometia, Duchess of Gorgombert.

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 138
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Languid Lizard
For example, players might want to kiss the foot of an Orc instead of a Goblin, and would like to include an alternative or additional event where an Orc's foot is kissed. Fans might want a series of foot kissing side quests, where Kobold and Hobgoblin feet were kissed too.

Hello Mr. Tarantino.

laugh

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 589
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 589
I have high hopes that not only will there be an excellent modding toolset, but that there will be an export character option to easily play stand alone adventures/modules. I'll go ever further to say what I really would like to see are officially released modules that we can buy and piece together, just like you might with a table top group.

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,340
Duchess of Gorgombert
Offline
Duchess of Gorgombert
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,340
Originally Posted by Emrikol
I have high hopes that not only will there be an excellent modding toolset, but that there will be an export character option to easily play stand alone adventures/modules.

I'm fairly confident there will be. One thing nobody has mentioned (at least that I've seen so far) and which is often overlooked is that a savegame editor would be really nice: your "export character" reminded me of that but in addition there's often a benefit to adjust stuff or to be able to look things up to assist with modding. I'd be nice to not have to resort to a hex editor or strings and hope for the best (I've had more than one headache using that approach, which has typically not been very fruitful).

Originally Posted by Emrikol
I'll go ever further to say what I really would like to see are officially released modules that we can buy and piece together, just like you might with a table top group.

Hmm. From a personal perspective I am not a fan of anything that looks like a microtransaction or other chargeable piecemeal content; I would hazard a guess that Larian might curate some of the more popular user-made mods as has happened with DOS2.


J'aime le fromage.
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 17
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 17
Dev tools could potentially make this game huge. D:OS had dev tools that didn't really catch on but this being D&D might make a big difference. I hope lots of good modules come out in the likes of what was produced on the NWN toolset.

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 589
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by vometia
From a personal perspective I am not a fan of anything that looks like a microtransaction or other chargeable piecemeal content; I would hazard a guess that Larian might curate some of the more popular user-made mods as has happened with DOS2.

I definitely don't like anything at all about microtransactions. But I don't see potential modules that way (such as being able to buy equipment would be). D&D has rulebooks (i.e the toolset) and modules. So why not BG3 and official modules too?

Last edited by Emrikol; 13/09/20 05:52 PM.
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 157
member
Offline
member
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 157
Depending on what game(s) they have in the pipeline to start once BG3 is 'done', if they see a big enough push for modules they might be financially swayed to do an official one. What I mean is that if they see a massive surge in modding and huge population of people playing those mods, and IF they judge that it would be financially worth it for them to spare the resources to create a module, like Storm King's Thunder, then I could see them doing it. It shouldn't take them anywhere near as long to make as the base game because they wouldn't need to create any new systems, though they would have to create new models for creatures/monsters they haven't built yet, the whole world for the mod, voice acting, so it still wouldn't be 'quick' but shouldn't take as long as the base game took.

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 589
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 589
Originally Posted by deathidge
Depending on what game(s) they have in the pipeline to start once BG3 is 'done', if they see a big enough push for modules they might be financially swayed to do an official one. What I mean is that if they see a massive surge in modding and huge population of people playing those mods, and IF they judge that it would be financially worth it for them to spare the resources to create a module, like Storm King's Thunder, then I could see them doing it. It shouldn't take them anywhere near as long to make as the base game because they wouldn't need to create any new systems, though they would have to create new models for creatures/monsters they haven't built yet, the whole world for the mod, voice acting, so it still wouldn't be 'quick' but shouldn't take as long as the base game took.

Nothing I disagree with, though I think it would be a shame if the cost of creating official modules ended up being too much because of voice acting and Cinematics. Nice features, but completely expendable (user made content won’t have them, of course).

Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 157
member
Offline
member
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by Emrikol
Originally Posted by deathidge
Depending on what game(s) they have in the pipeline to start once BG3 is 'done', if they see a big enough push for modules they might be financially swayed to do an official one. What I mean is that if they see a massive surge in modding and huge population of people playing those mods, and IF they judge that it would be financially worth it for them to spare the resources to create a module, like Storm King's Thunder, then I could see them doing it. It shouldn't take them anywhere near as long to make as the base game because they wouldn't need to create any new systems, though they would have to create new models for creatures/monsters they haven't built yet, the whole world for the mod, voice acting, so it still wouldn't be 'quick' but shouldn't take as long as the base game took.

Nothing I disagree with, though I think it would be a shame if the cost of creating official modules ended up being too much because of voice acting and Cinematics. Nice features, but completely expendable (user made content won’t have them, of course).

Sure. I could see a separate official mod have no, or reduced, voice acting to save on resources (money + time). The same for cinematics, though I think the system they built for cinematics, automating them, would be a boon in that situation. We just wouldn't get things like the intro video that wasn't made in the game engine.

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 138
member
OP Offline
member
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by deathidge
Depending on what game(s) they have in the pipeline to start once BG3 is 'done', if they see a big enough push for modules they might be financially swayed to do an official one. What I mean is that if they see a massive surge in modding and huge population of people playing those mods, and IF they judge that it would be financially worth it for them to spare the resources to create a module, like Storm King's Thunder, then I could see them doing it. It shouldn't take them anywhere near as long to make as the base game because they wouldn't need to create any new systems, though they would have to create new models for creatures/monsters they haven't built yet, the whole world for the mod, voice acting, so it still wouldn't be 'quick' but shouldn't take as long as the base game took.


I hope you are right. I think once the game is released, one of the priorities apart from bug fixing ought to be making the modding/scenario creation in Baldur's Gate III so enjoyable and easy that there is a huge amount of new content created. D&D players are highly imaginative. It Larian provide the infrastructure and tools for Dungeon Masters to jump into, the game will take on a life of its own.

I hope Larian look at the game from the potential DM's perspective. What friction could be removed that would get modules into motion? For example, mods benefit from each other if they are interoperable. Larian could maintain and official matrix of module compatibility. (Modules A, B, C, D. A is compatible with B and C but not D. B is compatible with A, C and D, etc.) To have a place on this matrix, it would have had to have passed some sort of Larian ocverseen quality control. There might be some goodies for people who produced widely used mods, etc.

Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 69
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by Rlyeh
Dev tools could potentially make this game huge. D:OS had dev tools that didn't really catch on but this being D&D might make a big difference. I hope lots of good modules come out in the likes of what was produced on the NWN toolset.


I have great memories of playing in a persistent world from NWN back in the day.

I'm really more interested in what was said about converting existing modules/campaigns into the engine. i.e. Campaign Raven Loft or Modules like Shadow Dale etc.

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,592
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,592
Originally Posted by vometia
My understanding is that modding tools will be made available some time after the full release. Larian are generally pro-modding so while I can't say for certain what will happen (nor when) I would expect it to be a thing.


I wonder how realistic it is.



Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 690
addict
Offline
addict
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

I wonder how realistic it is.

It's their engine, so I think it is quite realistic if they want to do it.

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,592
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,592
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

I wonder how realistic it is.

It's their engine, so I think it is quite realistic if they want to do it.



Let me rephrase that: realistic chance of happening.

Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 78
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

I wonder how realistic it is.

It's their engine, so I think it is quite realistic if they want to do it.



Let me rephrase that: realistic chance of happening.



Like vometia said, they've stated they plan to support modding. But Swen has been pretty consistent their main goal is to first get the actual main game completed, before they start switching focus to things like modding, DM mode, porting to consoles or anything of that nature.


“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.”---Dale Carnegie.
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,592
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,592
Originally Posted by Tyndaleon
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

I wonder how realistic it is.

It's their engine, so I think it is quite realistic if they want to do it.



Let me rephrase that: realistic chance of happening.



Like vometia said, they've stated they plan to support modding. But Swen has been pretty consistent their main goal is to first get the actual main game completed, before they start switching focus to things like modding, DM mode, porting to consoles or anything of that nature.


Did they? I missed that, last I checked was "we don't know yet"

Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 876
Moderator
Offline
Moderator
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 876
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

Did they? I missed that, last I checked was "we don't know yet"


Yes, hinted at during Panel from Hell, and verbally confirmed by Swen during the Dropped Frames interview iirc. Mod support some time after full release (1.0).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5