Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
Second gen Core Ix CPUs were the first to include AVX instructions and several other updated features that will at least allow programs to open and run.

Bringing up features is a good point. Intel had only introduced AVX2 for instance with the Haswell series (of which the listed i5 4690 is a part of); but then the FX 4350 doesn't support it either. Maybe it's about FMA3 instructions, which earlier Core CPUs are lacking (but the i5 4690 supports): https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1745594817430106268/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun..._cpu_lacks_the_fma3_instruction_monster/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1745594817430154788/

At the moment it's anyone's guess why in terms of raw performance the minimum CPUs are leagues apart.

Still only Larian can answer this for sure.

Last edited by Sven_; 03/10/20 10:40 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sven_
Second gen Core Ix CPUs were the first to include AVX instructions and several other updated features that will at least allow programs to open and run.

Bringing up features is a good point. Intel had only introduced AVX2 for instance with the Haswell series (of which the listed i5 4690 is a part of); but then the FX 4350 doesn't support it either. Maybe it's about FMA3 instructions, which earlier Core CPUs are lacking (but the i5 4690 supports): https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1745594817430106268/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun..._cpu_lacks_the_fma3_instruction_monster/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1745594817430154788/

At the moment it's anyone's guess why in terms of raw performance the minimum CPUs are leagues apart.

Still only Larian can answer this for sure.

As far as features go, Im not aware of anything else as dramatic as programs / games that need to use AVX not being able to at least launch on older than second generation Core processors, but it could be that a lack of later features completely cripple performance, like trying to run ray tracing on my 1080 Ti.

I actually tried that with community made ray traced textures in Minecraft and enjoyed playing a cinematic slideshow of 1 FPS just to take pretty screenshots.

'I bought an RTX 3080 just to play Minecraft lol' - it literally sounds like a joke until you download and try to run the ray traced shader and texture pack. Im going to try wait another year for the equivalent of the 3080 Super or Ti now though.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 03/10/20 10:47 AM.
Support
Support
Originally Posted by BeyHiveTom
Is there any chance theres going to be an agreement for GeForce Now during Early Access?

I do not know.

Originally Posted by BeyHiveTom
I was also wondering about Remote Play Together on Steam, is that going to be available during Early Access or full release?

Controller support and split screen co-op will not be initially available on PC for Early Access, but will be added at some point.

enthusiast
enthusiast
[quote=Sven_][quote=DumbleDorf]
I actually tried that with community made ray traced textures in Minecraft and enjoyed playing a cinematic slideshow of 1 FPS just to take pretty screenshots.

Yeah, raytracing without hardware support seems tough.

If I'd be on a i5 2500k, which is still a popular CPU, I'd simply try it, or wait until others did. Aside of the lack of FMA3 instructions support, I currently can't find any reasons why it shouldn't run.

(Actually, upgrading my Mobo with a 2500 or 3570 was one of the options I had considered 3 months back, but then I went with an all new Ryzen combo.)

Minimum requirements which don't belong to the same tier of performance meanwhile aren't uncommon. It's like game makers go like "OK both CPUs have four cores, so let's list them". Going with the 4690 is also pretty arbitrary from the get-go, considering how superior the 4xxx Haswell series is to FX CPUs. Why not say the i5 4460? i5 4430? Also superior CPUs to the FX 4350. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4430-vs-AMD-FX-4350/m1920vs2880 This is all pretty damn confusing for customers. (And that's not talking yet about that nobody much ever posts target performances for their listed systems, e.g. 30 fps 720p, 60 fps 1080p , etc.)

Last edited by Sven_; 03/10/20 01:41 PM.
Support
Support

The game was tested on an i5-2400 and it ran fine (minimum of 30 FPS; not sure what the GPU was, or game resolution). For Early Access it was decided to list higher tier CPU, to be safe (apparently not as much of an issue on the AMD side, possibly related to the market share difference).

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Raze

The game was tested on an i5-2400 and it ran fine (minimum of 30 FPS; not sure what the GPU was, or game resolution). For Early Access it was decided to list higher tier CPU, to be safe (apparently not as much of an issue on the AMD side, possibly related to the market share difference).

Any chance you went the same route with Nvidia GFX cards? The GTX 1050/tis for instance are amongst the most popular cards in the Steam surveys, for instance (the GTX 1050ti occupies spot #2 behind the GTX 1060). Yet technically, they are somewhat slower than what is listed as the minimum despite being newer. I'm going to test the game this week on a GTX 1050ti either way. hehe

Last edited by Sven_; 04/10/20 08:19 AM.
old hand
old hand
In General a 2500K and 1050 Ti should be a solid minimum spec setup.

I have a backup computer with a G4560 and Radeon RX 550 64 bit that just runs 2D games and web browsing, I sometimes try to run stuff on it and bechmarked my 1080 Ti on it for fun some time ago.

I don't know if I will bother trying with this game, but surprisingly it could comfortably handle Civ 6 on medium settings at 40-80 FPS, barring any later game slowdown between turns that I didnt test.

And then some 3D indie games ran really well, but others didnt - Banished played perfectly at max settings with just 2x AA, Mashinky wouldn't even manage 20 FPS at minimum settings.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, the RX550 must be able to handle some entry-level gaming as well. Mind you, ten years ago for its price tag you could buy cards that could even play AAA games such as Skyrim at medium settings (such as the HD 6670), but that's another topic. laugh

Last edited by Sven_; 04/10/20 02:52 PM.
stranger
stranger
Similar boat...just revived a dead gaming PC I’d built in 2012... i7 3770k and a GTX 660 Ti...fortunately it does have 16 GB Ram...though not the fastest stuff...2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600.

So o/cc’ing the cpu to run at 4.2 to 4.4ghz should be fine along with them 16gb ram...but trying to figure out what GPU to go with. Have a 600w Corsair PS.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to run 1080p with high setting at acceptable frame rates...with a moderate upgrade.

What I’m thinking about though is getting a 2k monitor and appropriate GPU to run that...but not sure if I’ll be bottlenecked with the 3770k.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Raze
[quote=BeyHiveTom]Controller support and split screen co-op will not be initially available on PC for Early Access, but will be added at some point.

Ahh dang, was holding out hope controller support would be available tomorrow - my PC gaming setup is 99% played via couch time (arthritis in the hands, not so great for KB+M) - will manage till it rolls out in a patch further down the line smile

Just as a side note, of the 4 people now who I know IRL playing this in early access, 3 are planning on playing couch side with controller - it's feeling like the new normal for a lot of gamers it seems, really interesting.

New Zealand's finest Gith with a dark urge for KFC XX
veteran
veteran
This would take lots of hacking -- unlocking bios and the like and you would run the risk of bricking the laptop and you would probably need to work with a local computer recycler or someone else with lots of cards hanging around but this is a hail mary option -- put an desktop GPU in your laptop:

Discusses success and failures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDyL2tPyXFA

How to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3D3cZmqn0

But you would need on of those bed table things -- not actually on your lap.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by STR3T
Similar boat...just revived a dead gaming PC I’d built in 2012... i7 3770k and a GTX 660 Ti...fortunately it does have 16 GB Ram...though not the fastest stuff...2x 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600.

So o/cc’ing the cpu to run at 4.2 to 4.4ghz should be fine along with them 16gb ram...but trying to figure out what GPU to go with. Have a 600w Corsair PS.

I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to run 1080p with high setting at acceptable frame rates...with a moderate upgrade.

What I’m thinking about though is getting a 2k monitor and appropriate GPU to run that...but not sure if I’ll be bottlenecked with the 3770k.

Why would it bottleneck?

The only i5 that is faster than i7 3770k is 8th gen cpu.

7th 6th 5th and 4th gen i5 are no match for the i7 3770k. And the game runs on a 2nd gen i5.

Last edited by Mongoose; 06/10/20 02:59 PM.
stranger
stranger
[quote=Raze][quote=BeyHiveTom]Is there any chance theres going to be an agreement for GeForce Now during Early Access?[/quote]
I do not know.

Raze, there is no agreement needing to be made. Someone at Larian just needs to opt in like you have for your Divinity Games. We would not be purchasing BG3 EA through Nvidia, we would be purchasing the game through Steam.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Originally Posted by STR3T

Why would it bottleneck?

The only i5 that is faster than i7 3770k is 8th gen cpu.

7th 6th 5th and 4th gen i5 are no match for the i7 3770k. And the game runs on a 2nd gen i5.

What I'm saying is what GPU would go well with this 3rd Gen i7? Not a question about i5 at all... I know, intuitively, I shouldn't be looking at the most recent released cards that can't be bought anyway due to lack of supply. But should I look to a 1650...1660 Super...RTX 2060...RTX 2080? My hunch is, the RTX 2080 will be looking for more power than my 3770k even at 4.4Ghz will provide. So why waste $100's on a card that the CPU won't push to full use...or perhaps even BG3.

Would going 2k monitor be possible...and would that compel an RTX purchase?

Last edited by STR3T; 06/10/20 07:12 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Meanwhile the GTX 1050 ti, despite being somewhat below specs, still seems to be good for 30min-45ish fps in 1080p Vulkan on "medium" plus a few extra bells and whistles (only seen the Tutorial area so far though).

Last edited by Sven_; 07/10/20 06:35 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger

What I'm saying is what GPU would go well with this 3rd Gen i7? Not a question about i5 at all... I know, intuitively, I shouldn't be looking at the most recent released cards that can't be bought anyway due to lack of supply. But should I look to a 1650...1660 Super...RTX 2060...RTX 2080? My hunch is, the RTX 2080 will be looking for more power than my 3770k even at 4.4Ghz will provide. So why waste $100's on a card that the CPU won't push to full use...or perhaps even BG3.

Would going 2k monitor be possible...and would that compel an RTX purchase?

Gtx 1060 6gb for 1080p

Gtx 1070 or 1660 ti for 1440p

Not sure if 3770k can handle 4k.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard