Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Sozz
"The intrepid heroes after their long fraught journey strike down the corrupted hivemind that has been pulling the strings all along. And as they rejoice the camera slowly pulls back from moonrise tower to reveal it is in fact a minature replica, as the camera pulls out further we see, indeed Moonrise Tower, Baldur's Gate, and all points between are but a exquisitely recreated replica within a child's bauble, a snow globe."

I'm on board but we can get crazy with anything if you question the very nature of existence.

How would all the forgotten gods fit in, and Gale's quest in particular.

I've been treating Netherese magic as an easy way for them to hand wave (literally) some inconvenient rules regarding magic in D&D but I can get behind something weirder

Dealing with your fears and pains plays very well in with the origin characters but what about Cust M. Char?

And how do the Gith fit in?

Oh yes, this is definitely questioning everything, but nothing so far gives me the idea that there is a clear plot.

It makes me feel like it's a plot for players, play with the past and possibly affect your relationships and strength of deities, maybe even strength of shadow or mystra/silvanus over Baldur's Gate?
I mean, the entire conflict between goblins and druids doesn't make sense; you can just go to Moonrise Towers on your own, once you, the player know it.
And obviously Minthara will never go fight the druids on her own, especially if this is some play on memory or possibly even changing past.

We don't even know, if we can actually safely become mindflayer. We could possibly be 'The Adversary', but what if we actually can't abuse the powers as much on full release?
What if we actually lose control of our character and die? If we knew that much, it would be clear. And I feel like the interviews with the devs are suggesting that...
I tried to be friendly with the Illithid and his thralls at the shipwreck. It didn't go well. They don't care for anything (well maybe Omeluum).
When an Illithid undergoes ceremorphosis, it can occasionally take on some elements of the absorbed host creature's former mind, such as mannerisms. This typically manifests as a minor personality feature, such as a nervous habit or reaction (e.g., nail-biting or tapping one's foot), although the process that determines the type and number of traits so inherited appears to be stochastic. Some adult Illithids have even been known to hum a tune that its host knew in life. Usually, when a mind flayer inherits a trait like this, it keeps it a closely guarded secret, because, were its peers to learn of it, the Illithid in question would most likely be killed. This is due to an Illithid legend of a being called the "Adversary". The legend holds that, eventually, an Illithid larva that undergoes ceremorphosis will take on the host's personality and memory in its entirety. This Adversary would, mind and soul, still be the host, but with all the inherent abilities of an Illithid

I think that we won't be able to get the tadpole out, ever. It's a DM plot to make us twitch and squirm.
What would it be like to have a tadpole in your head? Just keep thinking about tadpole in your head, that is your main problem, nothing else matters right?

And than imagine we don't RP a good cleric as good cleric we might face a very dark world outside, our god might not refresh spells, who knows...
It's a really cool concept imho, but I don't know how doable it even is.

I am not really sure how Gale fits in yet, I think his quests might have something to do with the history of Telamont Tanthul and Karsus though.

The Gith are clear ones - everyone bitched about this encounter, it's hard because it's supposed to be. You will likely have a big problem if you kill those Gith there. It might mean that you change the past and Gith are weaker, or else... No idea.
Gith are clear enemy of Mindflayers.

Originally Posted by Ellenhard
I wouldn't believe into Jander=Astarion ( or close to), because Jander is portrayed as a character of firmest morals, capable of stopping even the evilness of the undeath and not losing faith even in Ravenloft and Avernum; Astarion is a survivor, instead.

Other symbolism you've mentioned is too unstable as a theory for me personally, but interesting nonetheless (spiders and Minthara especially so).

You are completely right, it doesn't really fit the character. But people affected by shadowfell do go a bit insane... I think that there are some twisted story similarities there, even just based of wiki.
I don't even know which version of Jander would we be dealing with, but I do feel like Astarion's character is a mask and there is a lot more to him than a poem on his back in infernal.

Last edited by Vamathi; 08/11/20 08:03 PM.

“There is only one thing we say to Death:
Not today.”
veteran
veteran
Probably better continue this discussion in a new thread we shouldn't bury BladeDancer's hard work

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sozz
Probably better continue this discussion in a new thread we shouldn't bury BladeDancer's hard work

I worked really hard on this, thanks

N
old hand
old hand
N
So this seems like a good place to ask. On the Nautiloid there is a data dive drive that holds the last 1000 years of history any idea on big players form year 500?

old hand
old hand
4e FR campaign guide is 1479 DR, Year of the Ageless One, didn't see it in the list and wasn't sure if you was including it or not at all.

Last edited by fallenj; 09/11/20 07:23 PM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Decent into Avernus IS finished before the start of this game, even if it's not a direct prequel. In game you learn that the tieflings are refugees from elturel, that the other residents drove them out after the city returned calling them devils.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
So this seems like a good place to ask. On the Nautiloid there is a data dive drive that holds the last 1000 years of history any idea on big players form year 500?

What do you mean?

Last edited by FaultyValve; 09/11/20 08:04 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by FaultyValve
Decent into Avernus IS finished before the start of this game, even if it's not a direct prequel. In game you learn that the tieflings are refugees from elturel, that the other residents drove them out after the city returned calling them devils.

That sums up everything.

E
E
Originally Posted by BladeDancer

That sums up everything.

No, as discussed before: we know that the game says that tieflings are refugees and were driven out by others after the city has returned from Avernus. But, as you've written yourself, "the book says that the current year is 1492 DR, which would lead you to believe Baldur's Gate 3 is set two years before Baldur's Gate Descent into Avernus".

We see a mistake with the dates, made by game writers here.

veteran
veteran

That sums up everything.

That makes sense, but I still think Zevlor's line about filling the night sky with faerie fire (sic) being a custom they picked up in Avernus is odd.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Yeah, I don't know about that one. I didn't play through it, I watched a youtube narration of the module that assumed the "Good" ending. The whole thing seemed like a high tempo race to save the city before it was destroyed more than like they were there long enough to try to "re-create" the night sky for some reason.
But I didn't read to much into that during that scene. I just watched it as part of them celebrating.

Last edited by FaultyValve; 09/11/20 09:40 PM.
old hand
old hand
I vote for these Chronologies to be stickied.

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by TrollishMcTroll
It seems to be taking place immediately after (or days or weeks after) Elturel was returned to the Prime Material Plane - refugees provide evidence of that.

Also, Zevlor was a member of the Riders of Elturel, one of the tieflings who deserted Zariel. I can't imagine him being with the Hellriders in less than a few months or a year.

I don't think he did abandon her. He was in Avernus with the city wasn't he?

E
E
Originally Posted by TrollishMcTroll
It seems to be taking place immediately after (or days or weeks after) Elturel was returned to the Prime Material Plane - refugees provide evidence of that.

Also, Zevlor was a member of the Riders of Elturel, one of the tieflings who deserted Zariel. I can't imagine him being with the Hellriders in less than a few months or a year.

I don't think he did abandon her. He was in Avernus with the city wasn't he?

Then how come she (Zariel) is still ruling in Avernus, and hunting Karlach? He did abandon her, if we look at canon storyline, where Zariel's army first have some deserters (with a reason of her pretentious crusade to turn out a folly, but still), and then she is trapped there and loses the battle, switching sides and swearing oath of fealty to Asmodeus. So either Zevlor is one of those who deserted and left Avernus with others thus speeding her turncoat action, or he has returned after the city was saved by the unknown adventurers (but Zariel herself remained a fallen one). In that case, he is one of those who remained by Zariel and was saved by those adventurers. No other Hellriders are possible - they all followed Zariel or wouldn't be called as such. Could Zevlor stay away from this campaign which was supposed to be larger-than-life of every paladin and his comrade-at arms gathered for such a crusade? Theoretically yes, but doubtful.

In any case, that story happened in 1494 in the canon module. We have 1492 year in-game. I'm raising that issue for the third time in this thread, seeing no explanation except for the mistake of BG3 writers, who didn't check the canon thoroughly enough in that case.

Last edited by Ellenhard; 10/11/20 08:15 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard