Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#676434 01/10/20 04:17 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi everybody,

I read the rules of D&D because that's something I find really strange in the gameplay we saw about Baldur's Gate 3.

Short summary and exemple.
Let's talk about a character that have 18 in strengh, which represent an unusual and unnatural strengh.

According to the rules, this character will be able to long jump like this :
- if he moove at least 3m (10feet) on foot before the jump, he can cross 6m (18feet).
- if he's standing before it's jump, he can cross 3m (6feet).

About high jump, it's about strengh modifier. I guess it's a +4 with a strengh of 18, is that right ?

That would lead to :
- 2.3 m (7feet) if you moove at least 3m (10feet) on foot before the jump.
- 1.15m (3.5 fret) if you stand before thee jump.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about those rules.

What bother me is that we saw many exemple of totally differents things in the gameplay presentations.
This looks like impressive but not unrealistic The rules are fine to me.

In BG3 it looks totally unrealistic to me and I think they don't follow S&D...

What do you think of it ?

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/10/20 05:26 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Maximuuus #676435 01/10/20 04:27 AM
addict
addict
They are going to have video game characters have sex... I think your going to have to suspend reality my friend.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Doomlord #676437 01/10/20 04:46 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Doomlord
They are going to have video game characters have sex... I think your going to have to suspend reality my friend.

Maybe sex is out of reality for you... That's not the case for everyone wink

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/10/20 04:53 AM.

French Speaking Youtube Channel with a lot of BG3 videos : https://www.youtube.com/c/maximuuus
Maximuuus #676438 01/10/20 05:02 AM
journeyman
journeyman
maybe Toril has weaker gravity smile

Doomlord #676441 01/10/20 05:41 AM
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Doomlord

Yeah, I’m not going to lie, that was a weird comment.

Maximuuus #676442 01/10/20 05:48 AM
Banned
Banned
I think how jumps work is: you stand on a crack you break your or someone elses mommas back.

Maximuuus #676444 01/10/20 06:00 AM
veteran
veteran
If you meant Lae´zel, Githyanki has a racial psionic ability called "jump", amongst others, that allows you to ...er... jump farther, longer.

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/gith

In other gameplay some mages are using the spell "misty step" that teleports you farther away, or "feather fall" or "jump" spells.

Last edited by _Vic_; 01/10/20 06:02 AM.
Maximuuus #676449 01/10/20 07:26 AM
N
old hand
old hand
N
The length of the jump wouldn't be such a problem if they didn't do it in armor and with all their equipment. But it's a video game, so it's ok smile

_Vic_ #676451 01/10/20 07:51 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by _Vic_
If you meant Lae´zel, Githyanki has a racial psionic ability called "jump", amongst others, that allows you to ...er... jump farther, longer.

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/gith

In other gameplay some mages are using the spell "misty step" that teleports you farther away, or "feather fall" or "jump" spells.

I'm thinking more about Astarion during the Pax East that disengage a fight jumping far away from it's opponent. I think he also jump during the fire trap sequence but I have to check.
I also think about the custom character Sven played during, if I remember well the second gameplay presentation.

I'll try to find video exemples when back at home.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/10/20 07:52 AM.

Maximuuus #676458 01/10/20 09:41 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Here are the exemple.

Normal Jump : 11m, that's the basic skill of Astarion.
Don't know if his class/race has bonuses about that.
https://youtu.be/XJhawYZwvPI?t=2604

The sequence with the fire trap still with his basic "jump" ability.
Not sure about the distance but it's more than 3m, which is the value a character with 18 strengh can reach. Astarion probably don't have 18 in strengh.
https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=4590

Here it's Gale that jump in a hole with his basic ability.
This is a minimum 6m+ jump according to the scale of the room in which he jump.
https://youtu.be/gwYrmp3_6Nc?t=4904

Here is another exemple with Gale. His range is 3.5m, which means he have more than 18 strengh.
That jump don't look to consider long and high jump together.
https://youtu.be/bS7PsSuwY3I?t=3980

I like the idea of verticality and possibilites through jump but I don't really want my characters to jump like frogs everywhere.
Not sure the "plateform" genre suits a Baldur's Gate game.

The rules define what is possible or not in D&D and I think it suit the classic fantasy lore of the FR.
Super Heroes jump for everyone don't, according to me.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/10/20 09:47 AM.

Maximuuus #676464 01/10/20 01:19 PM
addict
addict
If I remember correctly it was said somewhere, that those jumps are one of tadpole effects. Our characters are getting a bit of super-powers from them.

Zellin #676467 01/10/20 01:55 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zellin
If I remember correctly it was said somewhere, that those jumps are one of tadpole effects. Our characters are getting a bit of super-powers from them.

This. Their natural abilities are enhanced because of the tadpole. I'm curious to see if those abilities will become stronger over time as it really roots itself in.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Zellin #676469 01/10/20 02:12 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Zellin

Yup this was the explanation during one of the live streams.

Maximuuus #676470 01/10/20 02:15 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
The "shut up it's magic" becoming a "shut up it's the tadpole"...
I find this very weak if that's it.

Stronger abililities such as a jump over 22m instead of 11m ? Seriously ?

Are we going to meet many other super heroes in the game or are our characters the only ones that have super tadpole abilities in the world ? Both cases are wierd.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/10/20 02:16 PM.

Maximuuus #676471 01/10/20 02:25 PM
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Maximuuus

Are we going to meet many other super heroes in the game or are our characters the only ones that have super tadpole abilities in the world ? Both cases are wierd.

If having access to the jump spell makes someone a superhero, and half the classes have access to the spell, then presumably we will meet other superheroes in the game. I don’t see what the problem is, though. Jump is a 1st level spell. Being a bhaalspawn also gave the character access to some special abilities, too.

Last edited by Warlocke; 01/10/20 02:26 PM.
Maximuuus #676472 01/10/20 02:28 PM
I'm surprised no one is questioning why jump height / distance is based on strength rather than dexterity to begin with. Olympic power lifter with 18 strength doesn't jump like Olympic high / long jumper with 18 dexterity. Just strange to me.
But I haven't really played since AD&D 2nd so....

Warlocke #676475 01/10/20 03:12 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke

If having access to the jump spell makes someone a superhero, and half the classes have access to the spell, then presumably we will meet other superheroes in the game. I don’t see what the problem is, though. Jump is a 1st level spell. Being a bhaalspawn also gave the character access to some special abilities, too.

Did you look at the exemples I gave ?
Maybe there's things I don't know from the rules and I'd be glad to learn about them, but here it's not about spells...

The basic "jump" ability allow characters to jump that far/high.

Last edited by Maximuuus; 01/10/20 03:16 PM.

Maximuuus #676478 01/10/20 03:24 PM
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Did you look at the exemples I gave ?
Maybe there's things I don't know from the rules and I'd be glad to learn about them, but here it's not about spells...

The basic "jump" ability allow characters to jump that far/high.

Yeah, that is the Jump spell. This is what the spell Jump let’s you do. Half of the classes in 5E have access to the spell (wizard, sorcerer, druid, ranger, warlock through invocations, lore bard).

So having the tadpole gives the host seemingly permanent access to the jump spell (there is also a warlock invocation that does the same thing) and some psionic abilities. And it lets vampires and drow endure sunlight.

Given all the other crazy superpower nonsense in the FR, I don’t see why this would be controversial.

Last edited by Warlocke; 01/10/20 03:28 PM.
Maximuuus #676480 01/10/20 03:30 PM
addict
addict

I mean, I don't see where anyone said to shut up, but if the idea of fantasy world video game characters who have been augmented to do extraordinary things bothers you this much, you're going to be shocked when you hear about a certain Italian plumber whose extraordinary acrobatics and pyrokinesis can't be explained away by magic. eek

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Maximuuus #676481 01/10/20 03:46 PM
veteran
veteran
Here are the exemple.

Normal Jump : 11m, that's the basic skill of Astarion.
Don't know if his class/race has bonuses about that.
https://youtu.be/XJhawYZwvPI?t=2604

For the record, the Jump spell triples characters' jump distances. So Astarion jumping 11m is reasonable for a 'normal' jump distance of a few meters, if we treat this as the tadpole permanently casting the jump spell on us. As previous posters have stated, this is not that powerful since Jump is a 1st level spell.

Personally, I find it more significant that jumping "acts as a disengage" as Swen states in that video. This will be huge for squishy characters who want to leave melee without wasting their action! Disengage via jump, move further away, then cast a spell/fire a bow from a safe distance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard