Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#676833 04/10/20 12:45 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Have you noticed that in the latest update on character creation, Patron Deities and Domains are not tied together for Clerics.

I mean in RAW, certain gods only have access to certain portfolios hence only grant certain domains but in the update it seemed you can combine anything with everything (Myrkul cleric of Life Domain).

I am not sure I like that. It can create fun combos but I think I prefer the canon Gods-Domains restrictions. That could be just me, though.

What do you think?

Last edited by spacehamster95; 04/10/20 12:45 PM.
I was wondering this exact thing too, but I think we've seen too little of the character creator to say. Perhaps choosing a deity will lock some domains, perhaps choosing a domain will lock some deities. I agree that would be very good. Player choice is nice and all, but lore consistency is more important imho. Being allowed to play a light domain priestess of Shar would be complete nonsense.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
My thoughts ecaxtly. I thought maybe when creating a character in EA, choosing a deity will lock out domain choices.

I do hope for this, cause I am more lore-oriented, like you said.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Sorry, I am missing something: what makes you think you can combine any domain with any deity?

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
If you check out the community update, you can see the dwarf as a Cleric of Myrkul with a Life Domain. Or A tiefling cleric of Tempus with Trickery domain. Stuff like these, but I am not sure if these are really playable options or just the screenshots make it look like so.

Last edited by spacehamster95; 04/10/20 01:43 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Ooooh, this is in the .gif. I can’t make out any of the text from that on my phone so I forgot about that. 😁

Yeah, they should really lock gods to the three or so domains associated with them.

Good catch by the way, I completely missed that.

To be fair, there isn't really any good domain in the 5e PHB for clerics of a necromancer god. Perhaps they chose life domain because necromancy == manipulating life energies? Still, the light domain's overall theme is healing and radiant damage, which is the exact opposite of what I'd expect from a cleric of Myrkul.

Perhaps they'll add a more fitting domain later on? Death domain from the DMG would be a good choice.

W
veteran
veteran
W
Oooh, I just thought- they probably haven’t added all of the domains, yet. Maybe that has something to do with it.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah, I try not to make overt assumptions about the update. It is not even EA yet. We shall see in two days (It felt so good to type that, EA in 2 days, guys :DDD ).

Last edited by spacehamster95; 04/10/20 02:09 PM.
Originally Posted by spacehamster95
We shall see in two days (It felt so good to type that, EA in 2 days, guys :DDD ).

Don't you dare jinx that! laugh

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Llengrath

If it doesn't happen, we'll all know who broke it. I'll pin "it's spacehamster95's fault!" if no EA materialises.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Dead man walking :DDDDDDDDDD

addict
addict
The EA only has 3 domains at release: trickery, life and light.

I wouldn't look too much into it at this stage.

veteran
veteran
If you check out the community update, you can see the dwarf as a Cleric of Myrkul with a Life Domain. Or A tiefling cleric of Tempus with Trickery domain. Stuff like these, but I am not sure if these are really playable options or just the screenshots make it look like so.

That does sound a tad implausible

veteran
veteran
The game is in Early Access, and it is highly likely that they haven't gotten around to implementing in all the restrictions yet. Especially because there aren't even that many domains in at all.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Yeah, you are right, guys. I am not nervous bout it, it is probably just a pre-release glitch.

What disappointed me the most was the absense of other gods besides those of the human pantheon. I understand there are way too many deities to include all of them in a meaningful way, but an elf worshipping a human god instead of the seldarine, their direct ancestors, is cringe :'D Same for the other races.

They could at least have included a few of them, or just two, Corellon and Sehanine.

Last edited by Goldberry; 04/10/20 10:24 PM.
old hand
old hand
Hi Guys,

Have you noticed that in the latest update on character creation, Patron Deities and Domains are not tied together for Clerics.

I mean in RAW, certain gods only have access to certain portfolios hence only grant certain domains but in the update it seemed you can combine anything with everything (Myrkul cleric of Life Domain).

I am not sure I like that. It can create fun combos but I think I prefer the canon Gods-Domains restrictions. That could be just me, though.

What do you think?

By RAW Life Domain is unique in that any deity can grant the Life Domain, even if it's not one of the deities domains. It's because Life Domain is the default domain for clerics and the only domain in the SRD, so its not governed by the usual Domain restrictions.

Although for FR AL now ignores Domain restrictions entirely, mostly likely because WotC doesn't always remember to publish a God's Domains when they appear in a book.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I think Moradin and Corellon will show up eventually as patron deities. They are really essential figures in the lore.

mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Llengrath

If it doesn't happen, we'll all know who broke it. I'll pin "it's spacehamster95's fault!" if no EA materialises.

Prepare the custard!

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard