Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Loptr #677773 07/10/20 12:37 AM
journeyman
journeyman
For anyone with crashes, check in the games installed folder/bin. There, at least for mine, is a dump file. You will need something to open dmp files, since it is not normally an openable file. It should be gibberish if you try with notepad.

Loptr #677808 07/10/20 01:05 AM
stranger
stranger
I have found that I can get it to work if I update my NVIDIA driver and use DirectX 11.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by captainfish
THat was the answer for me, Thanks Bitterman.
I installed new Nvidia Drivers.
New C+ redistributable x64 drivers.
No luck
I even ran the shortcut as "Run As Administrator". No Luck
But for GOG install, go to your *\bin\ folder from wherever you had the game installed. You will find the "bg3.exe" and "bg3_dx11.exe" files.
Right click on them and running as Admin will not work.

YOU HAVE TO use "shift+right-click" and then select "run as admin" for it to work.

***EDIT: And oddly enough, you have to keep pressing down on SHIFT button while you click on the "run as administrator" for it to work. If you let go of SHIFT key, before you click on the "run as admin" it will also fail to run.
yeah, this is crazy. Esp considering that most of us are probably local admins on our machines.

Thank you!!! I was losing the wyll to live. Very odd that you have to hold down shift to get this to work, but it does! I'd been trying for hours to get this game to load, was about to buy it for a second time on stadia.

Last edited by Schuesseled; 07/10/20 01:29 AM.
Loptr #677839 07/10/20 01:29 AM
stranger
stranger
I had to use the RIGHT shift button, but yea...I'm at the menu now. Strange.

Loptr #677854 07/10/20 01:45 AM
stranger
stranger
what is "funny", is that even changing the executable's COMPATIBILITY property (right-click the bg3.exe or bg3_dx11.exe, and then select properties, then select Compatibility tab) and selecting the option at bottom to "run as administrator" doesn't work. Still locks on black screen with application returning "not responding".

The only method that seems to work is the Press Shift AND HOLD+Right-click and select "run as admin".

Welp, guess this is one way to get people to sign up for a forum account.

Loptr #677865 07/10/20 01:51 AM
stranger
stranger
Yeah, that doesn't work for me.

Loptr #677868 07/10/20 01:55 AM
stranger
stranger
Also tried installing Virtual C, nothing. Tried the press Shift AND HOLD+Right-click and select "run as admin", nothing

stranger
stranger

***EDIT: And oddly enough, you have to keep pressing down on SHIFT button while you click on the "run as administrator" for it to work. If you let go of SHIFT key, before you click on the "run as admin" it will also fail to run.
yeah, this is crazy. Esp considering that most of us are probably local admins on our machines.

Didn't work for me.

Loptr #677890 07/10/20 02:11 AM
stranger
stranger
Adding myself here as I have the same issue....SOS.... HALP

Loptr #677962 07/10/20 03:16 AM
stranger
stranger
Thanks Bitterman and Schuesseled, LeftShift+Run as Admin works for me too.

Loptr #677964 07/10/20 03:19 AM
stranger
stranger
One thing I did to start off with was to download the most recent Nvidia driver v456.55, yours may be different vendor. I then installed it custom, not express, and had it install FRESH.
This driver for me caused my "explorer.exe" to crash and I had to load Ctrl+Alt+Del, and then File>New Task-RUN and typed in "explorer.exe". Once I had my icons and Start button back, I then restarted my system.

Also, check to see if you Administrator account is enabled. If not, enable it, then give it a password that you know. Sometimes programs do not like to do the "run as admin" if the administrator account is not enabled. Just a thought.

Last edited by captainfish; 07/10/20 03:23 AM. Reason: clarification
stranger
stranger
No luck
But for GOG install, go to your *\bin\ folder from wherever you had the game installed. You will find the "bg3.exe" and "bg3_dx11.exe" files.

YOU HAVE TO use "shift+right-click" and then select "run as admin" for it to work.

This was the only thing that worked for me. So strange that holding down shift makes any difference but it works! Thanks!

Loptr #678061 07/10/20 05:19 AM
stranger
stranger
Nothing is working for me.

I
stranger
stranger
I
No luck

LOL Holding shift while launching worked! Thanks for the solution. Never seen a bug like this before:D

That work-around worked for me, thanks a lot captainfish!

I haven't seen any official explanation about why it is necessary to maintain the shift key pressed, I suppose it's a security measure.

In any case, it's very surprising we have to run this as admin (and were not told to do so...). I don't really feel comfortable with it, not knowing exactly what elevated access this program requires. I hope Larian can clarify this point.

Last edited by Redglyph; 07/10/20 06:38 AM.
stranger
stranger

No luck

Worked for me as well. Thank you both bitterman and captainfish

Last edited by vometia; 07/10/20 07:59 AM. Reason: bbcode
Loptr #678209 07/10/20 07:39 AM
stranger
stranger
Needing to hold Shift goes against my views about how computer works so I investigated the issue and found the article from Microsoft ifself: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20140624-00/?p=673

"In Windows 7, the “Run as administrator” option was moved to the primary menu, so you no longer need to hold the shift key to get it. Well, except that sometimes you still need to hold the shift key. The deal is that there are two “Run as administrator” commands. One of them is for running shortcuts to regular applications as administrator. The other is for running shortcuts to MSI applications as administrator. Shortcuts to MSI applications are weird because they aren’t shortcuts to EXEs but rather are shortcuts to an entry in the MSI database. When the decision was made to move the “Run as administrator” command from the extended menu to the primary menu, the person who made the change moved only one of the “Run as administrator” commands (the one for regular application) and forgot to move the other one (the one for shortcuts to MSI applications). As a result, you still need to hold the shift key to run MSI applications elevated.
The problem is fixed on the Windows 8 Start menu. "

So, if I understood correctly just running as Admin only allows this application to have privileges and holding Shift also give it access to other applications or something. I bet it have something to do with 3-party launcher or DRM - it can't be started separatly and breaks the process. And it's Win7-specific problem which they didn't really test so it makes sense. Win8+ must work by default (different issues).

Last edited by CrestedPilot; 07/10/20 07:40 AM.
Loptr #678713 07/10/20 01:52 PM
stranger
stranger
Unfortunately, this thick with shift+run as admin does not work for me (neither left or right shift) frown

Loptr #678769 07/10/20 02:25 PM
stranger
stranger
Keep pressing that SHIFT until the game starts showing you logo of Laria or until you see mouse cursos; gauntled hand. Didn't need to "run as administer" or right click it or nothing. Just hold that SHIFT down and normal double clik on bg3.EXE or dir11.EXE. That finally worked for me in my win 7

Loptr #678987 07/10/20 04:11 PM
stranger
stranger
Shift (left, right, no shift, run as admin, change compatibility properties, etc.) running bg3.exe and bg3_dx11.exe both just open up the launcher for me. Launching from the launcher crashes after a few seconds. I cannot bypass the launcher.

Win10 v2004

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard