Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Loptr #683010 09/10/20 06:53 AM
Still not solved in hotfix 2, and I think their support has not seen this 5-page thread, I'm not sure how to report that to them.

Loptr #683020 09/10/20 06:57 AM
stranger
stranger
I was able to launch today - once - game was really pixelated (is that a word - was able to create character etc and start the game. I chose to try to exit and reload since the graphics were really distracting. I could not load at all - multiple attempts

Loptr #683054 09/10/20 07:11 AM
stranger
stranger
same here - all drivers updated - I have been able to load 3 times once per day Oct 6, 7 , 8 - last time was really pixelated - I tried to reload and absolutely no luck - goes to black with both - it is early access so I am patient and was really happy that it loaded today (once) and I was able to create a character and was able to choose magic missile...

Originally Posted by Feanoraldain
same here - all drivers updated - I have been able to load 3 times once per day Oct 6, 7 , 8 - last time was really pixelated - I tried to reload and absolutely no luck - goes to black with both - it is early access so I am patient and was really happy that it loaded today (once) and I was able to create a character and was able to choose magic missile...

You can try and just insist with the SHIFT+admin start describe earlier, kill the process and try again. Now for me it only launches correctly once in ~5-10 attempts, I don't know what kind of black magic was used so we have to jump through all those hoops but it's really strange.

Loptr #683673 09/10/20 01:22 PM
stranger
stranger
Well so far I have it working. I've played about 20 minutes, watched the opening cut scene, and no issues.

I had to uninstall AMD Radeon, and reinstall it (and update it...AGAIN) for the game to work.

So if the game is not working for you essentially unplug your graphics program, and plug it back in. That at least worked for me.

Loptr #684696 09/10/20 09:17 PM
T
stranger
stranger
T
Had crashes with the black screen constantly both with vulkan and dx 11 exe files. Then I have read here about launching the game with Shift > admin rights , it helped, but not much .Game still crashed in most cases.

occasionaly found the workaround that allows me to start the game in most cases :

1. before you launch the game have any folder open in a file explorer
2. start the game from the launcher using dx11
3. immediately after that grab the explorer window with the mouse and start dragging it randomly all over the screen
4. .... and voilà , game starts in the background.

seems that the game has got problems with initializing fullscreen on startup and needs to start with window not in focus
i run the game on win 7 with GTX 660
hope this will be of any use to smb else.

Loptr #684844 09/10/20 10:41 PM
stranger
stranger
I tried the left shift trick and it launched - was able to fix the graphics as well - thanks

Loptr #684857 09/10/20 10:47 PM
C
stranger
stranger
C
So I have the game files on my C drive and Steam on my E drive. Larian launcher won't boot up but i can go into the game with the BG3 and BG3_dx11 files but have no access to online play. how can i fix the issue thats causing the larian launcher to boot up?

D
stranger
stranger
D
Same issue here Chok Sun Dik ,

If you start it from BG3_dx11, basically steam doesn't notice it, this is why you don't have the multiplayer option. Steam client is here to blame, if you have crushes when starting with BG3_dx11 just make sure steam is shut down so it doesn't mess up you game.

Loptr #689088 11/10/20 07:55 PM
G
stranger
stranger
G
(Steam version)

When running on vulkan i can get as far as the part of the first quest where i have to activate the Nautiloid's transponder to teleport.
however, upon doing so. the game goes into a loading screen once the cutscene gets to the bit where the pc is about to pluck the tentacles. then it just crashes.

when i'm running it on DX11 it doesn't even get that far, the game immediately crashes and yields the box in the attached screenshot
[Linked Image]

what do?

Last edited by ghostyraven; 11/10/20 07:56 PM.
Loptr #705125 18/10/20 06:34 PM
Game is still not starting after applying patch 1 (actually, re-installing the whole game).

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by BlastRadius
I had to use the RIGHT shift button, but yea...I'm at the menu now. Strange.

this worked for me

This seriously needs to be fixed

Loptr #718786 27/10/20 02:00 PM
Anyone could get the attention of Larian on this blocking problem?

Loptr #719205 27/10/20 06:20 PM
Well, I'm not a pc gamer.

I have Stadia on my phone and can play the game there to some extent. I am trying to get past issues mirror casting it onto my TV and I've just borrowed someone's spare Chromecast, but neither has proven decent enough in operation to be able to do much beyond seeing it upon a larger screen. Still have a couple of other technical possibilities to explore, fingers crossed?

I love the look of the game and if (or once) I can succeed in getting to actually play more of the game in a format where I can see better, it will be my first "sandbox-style" experience after third person console rpgs.

“This year the utopian candy shell has melted away to expose a hard center of bizarre reality.”
Originally Posted by Capt.Wells
Well, I'm not a pc gamer.

I have Stadia on my phone and can play the game there to some extent. I am trying to get past issues mirror casting it onto my TV and I've just borrowed someone's spare Chromecast, but neither has proven decent enough in operation to be able to do much beyond seeing it upon a larger screen. Still have a couple of other technical possibilities to explore, fingers crossed?

I love the look of the game and if (or once) I can succeed in getting to actually play more of the game in a format where I can see better, it will be my first "sandbox-style" experience after third person console rpgs.

Why are you posting that here, it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread?!

Loptr #720786 28/10/20 08:30 PM
stranger
stranger
I downloaded the latest patch when it was released and this issue still hasn't been fixed for me. Anyone else have new updates on how to fix it? I haven't been able to play it since I bought it frown

Loptr #721101 29/10/20 12:31 AM
stranger
stranger
Having the same problem, i eventually got it to work though. Larian has this post that i found helpful:

https://larian.com/support/faqs/crash-on-startup-new-install_59

In the end what made the game work for me was NOT starting it in full screen (fake full screen is fine). In order to get it to start in window mode simply download the file from the link above. The file is located toward the bottom of the article and is marked "this download" in bold text. Follow the instructions for it.

That alone did not do the trick though, i still had to hold shift when starting it as admin to get it to work, but it now starts every time I boot that way. Even after i changed the setting to "fake full screen". Hope that helps someone out! Now, I've got some role playing to do, so peace!

Loptr #721443 29/10/20 08:42 AM
That's a lot of workarounds to try, but better than nothing I guess.

It's not entirely accurate, the 'admin' part, so the content of this thread, is not as much for Windows 7 than for the Professional versions of Windows 7 & 10. I'd rather them remove the fancy code that requires this, because it's really not safe to run a beta program as admin, I never had to do that for any other game (or user application for that matter).

Well, at least they saw the problem exists, even if they haven't reacted anywhere else to say so. It would be good to add that link into the pinned FAQ of the forums though, not sure everyone saw those new pages.

Enjoy the roleplay smile

Last edited by Redglyph; 29/10/20 08:44 AM.
Redglyph #722208 29/10/20 09:04 PM
stranger
stranger
I totally agree with you about them fixing the code, i am glad i found a way to make it work on my computer though. So i had to share about it, so anyone who wants to try it can. I felt i was "just doing my civic duty" (Pirates of the Caribbean anyone?) lol.

By the time i got it working it was close to time to sleep (had work in the morning) so i didn't get to play too far. I ended up spending an hour in the character creator plus an extra 20mins in the "who do you dream of" part. lol pretty much par for the course.

Loptr #725805 02/11/20 11:07 AM
FYI: Apparently there's an update #4, though as usual it's not listed on GOG patch notes.

EDIT: now I see there's a sticky post with it here as well.

This hotfix addresses Windows 7 start up issues,

Maybe there's a chance it fixes the Windows 7/10 Pro issue at startup discussed in this thread as well smile
I had to uninstall the game after all the update problems with Galaxy, so I can't tell right now, I'll download it once again further down the road.

Last edited by Redglyph; 02/11/20 11:11 AM.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard