Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#677482 06/10/20 09:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
After creating a custom character, you're then promoted to create another character, the one your custom character is dreaming of.

I hope that you get to pick the nature of your relationship with that character. A character seeking another could have many different possibilities.

  • A lover/spouse
  • A friend
  • A mentor or teacher
  • A colleague or co-worker
  • A parent
  • A sibling
  • A child
  • An enemy or tormenter, or someone you want revenge on


I really hope that you will be able to pick the nature of your relationship with that person, because there's more relationships than just "lover". You should probably also be able to pick that before you finalize creating them, because the choice of your relationship with them could influence what you want them to look.

Joined: Feb 2020
member
Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2020
I am wondering what that is supposed to add to the game, I haven't read anything anywhere yet.

My wild guess is that it affects the party romance mechanics depending on what gender and race you pick (Some sort of sexual orientation selector.)

Joined: Mar 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Mar 2020
I find it very strange to create another character that we don't know anything about.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
I initially thought that they were the "narrator" but at this point I'm thinking it will be an NPC that ties into the story in a surprising way. As Stabbey mentioned, I hope they don't immediately just stick with lover as there are plenty of much more interesting relationships to choose from. I guess we will see someday!

Joined: Sep 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Sep 2020
hmm... so you guys think that the dream of character we might meet along our travels?

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
I'm looking forward to meeting that dream character.
Even if they ended up just being used for Illusion spell against your character.

Joined: Sep 2020
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2020
Wild guess… but I thinks that's how Rafael (or some another trickster) gonna look for us now. So it's lover there to seduce us, not someone we actually know.

Joined: Jan 2009
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Originally Posted by Zellin
Wild guess… but I thinks that's how Rafael (or some another trickster) gonna look for us now. So it's lover there to seduce us, not someone we actually know.


That could be the case, certainly, in which case what I'm asking for may not make sense.

However, Larian has said that Custom Characters are supposed to be improved from D:OS 2 in terms of story integration. I think I heard that the Background you select won't have any dialogue tags associated with it, so if this "dream character" is only going to be there as some kind of lure or trick and your only possible relationship with them is "lover", I'm not sure how to reconcile that with "Improved custom characters".

Joined: Oct 2020
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Oct 2020
The mystery made it really fresh. I liked it a lot. You are just gonna have to find out. I think it works well in a d&d game.

Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Sweden
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
Location: Sweden
This thing I can easily see a DM do at the start of a pnp campaign. You have no idea why but you will, hopefully, learn about it further down the line.

Joined: Oct 2020
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Oct 2020
Agree with OP, if it's actually a character we meet I would like to choose the nature of the relationship.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
I'm not really a fan of designing my character's "dream character". By all means have us choose some preferences for race, gender etc but to design them as if it was another PC just seems a bit weird to me.

I get that romances between characters are a good way to increase immersion but having us design a whole new character is a bit far. Chances are by the time you encounter then in the game you'll have completely forgotten what they look like anyway.

Joined: Jan 2018
W
old hand
Offline
old hand
W
Joined: Jan 2018
Originally Posted by jonn
I'm not really a fan of designing my character's "dream character". By all means have us choose some preferences for race, gender etc but to design them as if it was another PC just seems a bit weird to me.

I get that romances between characters are a good way to increase immersion but having us design a whole new character is a bit far. Chances are by the time you encounter then in the game you'll have completely forgotten what they look like anyway.


Maybe there is a good reason for this.

I’m more than willing to bet that it is a succubus who approaches your character in a form your character most desires.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by jonn
I'm not really a fan of designing my character's "dream character". By all means have us choose some preferences for race, gender etc but to design them as if it was another PC just seems a bit weird to me.

I get that romances between characters are a good way to increase immersion but having us design a whole new character is a bit far. Chances are by the time you encounter then in the game you'll have completely forgotten what they look like anyway.


Maybe there is a good reason for this.

I’m more than willing to bet that it is a succubus who approaches your character in a form your character most desires.


Maybe, but I don't see how having you design the character yourself beforehand will make the in game encounter more effective. Chances are you yourself will recognise them so regardless of how your character reacts in the game you'll be going "hey it's that other character I designed in the beginning". If the intention is to deceive your character then it won't work because you'll know something is about to go down.


Joined: Jan 2018
W
old hand
Offline
old hand
W
Joined: Jan 2018
Originally Posted by jonn
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by jonn
I'm not really a fan of designing my character's "dream character". By all means have us choose some preferences for race, gender etc but to design them as if it was another PC just seems a bit weird to me.

I get that romances between characters are a good way to increase immersion but having us design a whole new character is a bit far. Chances are by the time you encounter then in the game you'll have completely forgotten what they look like anyway.


Maybe there is a good reason for this.

I’m more than willing to bet that it is a succubus who approaches your character in a form your character most desires.


Maybe, but I don't see how having you design the character yourself beforehand will make the in game encounter more effective. Chances are you yourself will recognise them so regardless of how your character reacts in the game you'll be going "hey it's that other character I designed in the beginning". If the intention is to deceive your character then it won't work because you'll know something is about to go down.



Deception doesn’t need to have anything to do with it. It could just be that such a character always approaches you in a form your character most desires. Every player will have a different conception of what that is, so why not just let the player tell the game what that is?

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by jonn
Originally Posted by Warlocke
Originally Posted by jonn
I'm not really a fan of designing my character's "dream character". By all means have us choose some preferences for race, gender etc but to design them as if it was another PC just seems a bit weird to me.

I get that romances between characters are a good way to increase immersion but having us design a whole new character is a bit far. Chances are by the time you encounter then in the game you'll have completely forgotten what they look like anyway.


Maybe there is a good reason for this.

I’m more than willing to bet that it is a succubus who approaches your character in a form your character most desires.


Maybe, but I don't see how having you design the character yourself beforehand will make the in game encounter more effective. Chances are you yourself will recognise them so regardless of how your character reacts in the game you'll be going "hey it's that other character I designed in the beginning". If the intention is to deceive your character then it won't work because you'll know something is about to go down.



Deception doesn’t need to have anything to do with it. It could just be that such a character always approaches you in a form your character most desires. Every player will have a different conception of what that is, so why not just let the player tell the game what that is?


I see your point, but IMO they could have saved all the man hours implementing that feature and just had the succubus approach you as the same race etc as your character (if that is what they intend to do with it of course). Wouldn't detract from the encounter in any way whatsoever.

I'm hoping they do have something really nifty up their sleeve for this feature though, I'll be disappointed if it's purely for a romance aspect.

Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Stabbey
After creating a custom character, you're then promoted to create another character, the one your custom character is dreaming of.

I hope that you get to pick the nature of your relationship with that character. A character seeking another could have many different possibilities.

  • A lover/spouse
  • A friend
  • A mentor or teacher
  • A colleague or co-worker
  • A parent
  • A sibling
  • A child
  • An enemy or tormenter, or someone you want revenge on


I really hope that you will be able to pick the nature of your relationship with that person, because there's more relationships than just "lover". You should probably also be able to pick that before you finalize creating them, because the choice of your relationship with them could influence what you want them to look.


Your entire premise fails because it is an incomplete representation of what it is actually asked of you.

The games asks, "Who do you dream of ?Who ATTRACTS you?" It is stated right on the character appearance panel. These two questions automatically preclude most of your options, at least in western RPG. jRPGs may very well include you being attracted to children and family members.

The game isn't asking you who you are dreaming of generally speaking, it is specifically asking, show me your dream lover. Why? I have no idea and wont praise or complain until i know more. hell if this was just some round about way to ask about gender preference sexually speaking for a love interest I'd be fine with it. The first games were heavy on the romance, in fact they were ground breaking in adding romance to RPGs. And i assume BG 3 like the BG 2 can have the player ignore romancing characters if they want. The truth is, this wouldn't be a faithful sequel to the series without romances even if some players want nothing to do with them.

Joined: Jan 2018
W
old hand
Offline
old hand
W
Joined: Jan 2018
Originally Posted by jonn


I see your point, but IMO they could have saved all the man hours implementing that feature and just had the succubus approach you as the same race etc as your character (if that is what they intend to do with it of course). Wouldn't detract from the encounter in any way whatsoever.

I'm hoping they do have something really nifty up their sleeve for this feature though, I'll be disappointed if it's purely for a romance aspect.


Yeah, I hope they are going to do something interesting with it. You can already romance your companions so a waifu/husbando builder would be pretty superfluous. We will see.

Joined: Jan 2009
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Originally Posted by Gothfather

Your entire premise fails because it is an incomplete representation of what it is actually asked of you.


That's not my premise failing, it's the game (possibly) failing by constraining the apparent story for a custom character to "you are attracted to this person". My point is that there are more possible relationships and connections between people. I'm not sure how they're going to handle that without it feeling shallow, where every custom character will have the exact same story every time.

EDIT:

Another post on this forum had suggestions for Warlocks interacting with their patrons, where the conversation options dictated what their relationship with them was like and such.

The "Dialogue Boss Battle" from Knights of the Old Republic 2 was used as an example of how a player's dialogue choices could establish what the relationship between two characters is.

Of course, that would be far too long to do in character creation, so it's not a perfect fit. But I'm not sure that this single option is going to be that interesting. Especially for a second playthrough with a custom character.

Last edited by Stabbey; 08/10/20 06:13 PM. Reason: expanding the options
Joined: Oct 2020
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Oct 2020
Originally Posted by Stabbey
After creating a custom character, you're then promoted to create another character, the one your custom character is dreaming of.

I hope that you get to pick the nature of your relationship with that character. A character seeking another could have many different possibilities.

  • A lover/spouse
  • A friend
  • A mentor or teacher
  • A colleague or co-worker
  • A parent
  • A sibling
  • A child
  • An enemy or tormenter, or someone you want revenge on


I really hope that you will be able to pick the nature of your relationship with that person, because there's more relationships than just "lover". You should probably also be able to pick that before you finalize creating them, because the choice of your relationship with them could influence what you want them to look.


play the ea and you will find out, I dont want to spoil anything, but there is a good reason for it.

Last edited by Akari; 08/10/20 06:17 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5