Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Every time I use the helm of the Mindflayer ship, cutscene plays fine, loading screen into next cutscene, then it crashes, whether I try to let the cutscene play or spam Spacebar to skip it.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz
Radeon RX570
16 gigs RAM

stranger
stranger
Same here, happened once during the cutscene and second time during the progress bar preparing for the cutscene.

Intell i5-6400 2,7 GHz
Nvidia GTX 760
8GB ram

stranger
stranger
Having the same issue. Attempted 3 times, first time it loaded as soon as the loading bar got to the end, 2nd time when I got about 2 seconds into the cutscene, 3rd time I was about 10 seconds into the cutscene before it happened. Gonna continue trying because it seemed like I was getting farther the more I tried.

stranger
stranger
I am also seeing this issue. I might try and reduce graphical settings, I was crashing at opening cinematic till I locked framerate to 60.

journeyman
journeyman
I saw somewhere else about switching to dx11 vs vulkan to fix some things. Going to try that.

That allowed me past.

Last edited by seikojin; 06/10/20 11:25 PM.
stranger
stranger
Ok switching to DX11 (gear next to play button in the larian launcher) allowed me to get past the fight, but it crashed in the following scene,

stranger
stranger
It seems that capping my framerate at 60 doesn't fix the problem. Next step I took was to drop my graphics settings all the way to the lowest setting they could go, the default "very low". I guess this somehow skips the entire cinematic that occurs after the loading screen and you're set into the next area right away, so I'm not entirely sure if it actually fixed the issue or not, but I was at least able to get past it.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So, after reading all the suggestions here, I played around with it.

Switching between DX11 and Vulkan didn't help me.

Changed settings to ultra low, was able to get through cut scene, turned back up to ultra and started walking around. *Crashed*

Changed graphics settings to High. Crashed.

Changed graphic settings to Medium. Held up for 2 minutes of running around but I needed to get off the computer.

This is kinda ridiculous, I can play much more graphically intensive games on higher graphic settings. But hey, if Medium lets me play...

P
stranger
stranger
P
Having same issue, except I'm seeing it more often after and before this cut scene.

Windows up-to-date. Nvidia 1070ti up-to-date.

Switched from using Vulkan to DX11 almost immediately.

All settings on medium.

Tried changing settings in Discord, NVIDIA control panel, verified install integrity on Steam, nothing working.

stranger
stranger
Having the same crash when using Vulkan; using DX11 gets me through the load, but something bugs out with the subsequent cutscene - I am able to move around, but the game thinks I am mid-dialogue (and resultingly won't allow saves). I am unable to interact with anything, including the
dying mind flayer
I am presumably supposed to be speaking to.

stranger
stranger
I have a similar problem on Stadia where the second cutscene never plays I just start on the beach. When it happens I am not able to save game it is darkened out and says a party member is in a dialog but thats when I dont even have a party yet. Finally when I pick up items like the clam or the fisherman corpse I cant loot the item and I cant walk away or do anything. I become stuck. I had to replay the transponder fight over 3 times and then it finally loaded properly with second cutscene and able to save and pick up items. Very frustrating as this was my first experience with BG3. I know EA but still frustrating...

R
stranger
stranger
R
Same problem here, tried running as administrator, updated drivers and vredist, nothing worked. Messing with graphical settings allowed me to get through the cutscene once by putting eerything on very low, but on second attempt it crashed. I've got GeForece 1060, i7-7700HQ and 16gb ram, and something seems to be choking up on the second map even though it should not.

stranger
stranger
Same problem here. Never made to the beach. Lowering everything just made the falling ship cutscene visible for a few seconds then crash again. I tried also switching character before using transponders, nothing worked. I suppose I'll wait for an hotfix.

stranger
stranger
Switching from Vulkan to DX11 got me off of the helm and onto the beach, after 3 crashes. I'll post here again if I experience more crashes to verify whether it is a long term fix or not.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I actually managed to get through the helm, only do discover that it's the Wilderness map that actually crashes the game when loading. I must load it on freshly restarted PC, on lowest settings, can play for a bit, and then the game will inevitably crash again. Something weird is going on with resource management I think.

stranger
stranger
Okay, new day, started testing again. I've been on the beach for a while but I went back to an old save after switching to DX11 with maxed settings to see if I could get through the cutscene, and I could not get any farther into it than I did before. Plus the game seems to look a hair worse so I just switched back to Vulkan (no real major difference, pick whichever you like best.)

It must be something about the areas outside of the beginning tutorial ship that's causing the game to crash with max settings, as it doesn't happen even once throughout the entire area, only during the cutscene and anything past it seemingly at random.

All of my settings consist of:

2560 x 1440 (16:9) 144hz
Borderless
Vsync Disabled
Framerate Capped at 144hz (ive tried capping it at 60 and uncapping it, neither changed the result
Overall Preset is on Ultra

I've now attempted to play the game by turning off one setting at a time and getting as far as I could. So far I'm down to everything to the lowest setting itll go (or off) except for
Model Quality, Instance Distance, Texture Quality and Texture filtering.

I turned Texture Quality down to Very Low and was able to play the game for about 15-20 minutes (everything else is back to max settings), which is much longer than it usually took before it crashed before. I had to stop there because I've got things to do, but I will continue testing it by increasing the quality until it crashes again, and then setting it to max and dropping the quality of the other 3 options and see if that prevents the crash as well. It's like the game itself can't handle it own graphics so it crashes.

stranger
stranger
Encountering the same problem here. When I used the transponder with the companion(while my char was downed) the game was stuck loading after the cutscene forever(tried twice). No crash though.

The game simply crashes at about 30% loading if I use it when both are alive. The one time I used DX11, it crashed at the loading screen(after using transponder) too. I am playing on my laptop at potato settings, originally thought it was a problem related to that.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I've narrowed the problem down to two things:

1) The bigger Wilderness map loading causes some major issue that crashes the game. The only workaround that I found to fix stuff for me is to restart my PC, don't turn anything on except BGIII, drop everything to very low then load. This usually works and the map loads. Then I can change the settings back to Ultra and I can play....

2)... but there's another thing - playing the game for 30-40 minutes on Ultra will inevitably crash the game. Also I just crashed on another cutscene in a particular dungeon after pressing one of the buttons in there, but I have no clue if the crash was due to playing for 30 minutes or the cutscene that triggered.

So my best guess is that the game has some sort of issue with CPU/RAM usage. I've got i7 7700 HQ and 16 GB of RAM, so there shouldn't be any problems, my load on both isn't very high when playing (around 30-60% on both). The game clearly can be handled by my laptop, but some sort of issue is maybe cause mishandling of RAM and this leads to the crash? It's pretty telling because if I use the PC for a bit, or already crashed, I cannot load Wilderness map anymore even when using very low settings.

I think that for me that might be the underlying issue, not some particular spot of the map or particular cinematic. Perhaps cinematics push the game resource usage higher than normal game play and this is why it crashes on them so often.

D
stranger
stranger
D
[quote]So my best guess is that the game has some sort of issue with CPU/RAM usage. I've got i7 7700 HQ and 16 GB of RAM, so there shouldn't be any problems, my load on both isn't very high when playing (around 30-60% on both). The game clearly can be handled by my laptop, but some sort of issue is maybe cause mishandling of RAM and this leads to the crash? It's pretty telling because if I use the PC for a bit, or already crashed, I cannot load Wilderness map anymore even when using very low settings.[/quote]

I think this may be my problem right here, my game runs perfectly on ultra with no problems or lag whatsoever, and then it will crash randomly like clockwork every 10 or so minutes. It didn't crash at all in the beginning of the game (on the ship), and then started crashing when I got to the larger wilderness map. It will crash at literally any time, during cutscenes, combat, or even on one occasion while I was just standing there checking a text message. My computer is working harder to run it than it does some games but I shouldn't be having as many crashes as I am, so I think it's an issue with the game processing.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Still having same issue after patch today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard