Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
stranger
stranger
R
So I've managed to rein in the crashing a bit. First of all I've rolled back my drivers to version 451.67, as it seemed to help in some crash cases. I start Dx11 version, and I play on high maximum. This allows me to load the game and play for around 20-40 minutes, untill it will inevitably crash again. It is possible that the fix helped a little bit.

A crude solution but I can at least experience the game. No idea if it will work for others

Last edited by Ratzing; 07/10/20 11:15 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I decided I would just play on medium, got through the first fight with the little mind beasts in the crashed ship on the beach, leveled up, went to level up my character... crashed. Repeated and same effect. Timing was much shorter the second time as I just ran right to the fight to test it. So at least for me it doesn't seem time based, it's triggered.

stranger
stranger
Interestingly, after the hotfix, the game seems to finish loading(bar filled) as opposed to about 30% progress for me before crashing on Vulcan. Will try on DX11 and update this post.

Edit: DX11 crashing too.

Last edited by arctic; 08/10/20 05:26 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
In regards to original post, this also happens on my machine.
Windows is updated and rtx2070 updated
Will try patch and other settings mentioned when I get home later.

MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I
CPU: Intel core is 9700
MEM: x2 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2666MHz CL16 DDR4
VID: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070

Last edited by Debugnus; 08/10/20 10:05 AM. Reason: Added computer details

MEM: x2 Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2666MHz CL16 DDR4
R
stranger
stranger
R
Okay after further tinkering I'm certain that in my case, the RAM usage is an issue. I literally have to have at least 13GB of ram free in order to load in the Wilderness map, when I have Chrome in the background and the free RAM is around 10-11 GB it will crash. I've also assigned some Page File to my drive C since I had that at 0, but I don't know if it will further stabilize the game - maybe I will be able to play for more than 30 minutes at a time.

The funny thing is, it's not like Baldur is taking up the RAM - the average load is around 50% when I'm playing, so I don't know what the hell is going on with those free 8GB.

Last edited by Ratzing; 08/10/20 09:54 AM.
stranger
stranger
I had no crashes so far, I've checked my Ram usage only once (didn't paid attention out of excitement laugh ) it was over 8gb which is quite much i guess. Though it may be only caching when it found free space or EA garbage collection could be bad.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

AMD Ryzen 7700X, 64GB Ram, Rtx 3080 12GB, lg-34GK950F-B,Logitech Z906 Thx.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Debugnus

Ok I was able to choose Medium quality settings to get to the beach area, however, choosing Camp from the map screen made it crash.
On a lighter note im actually loving the game and reckon it will be so awesome in the future ♡

Last edited by Debugnus; 08/10/20 11:35 AM.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Quoting Shane Moffatt from Steam forums:

Found a fix (fixed my game, loaded fine and let me play without crash) courtesy of:

Originally posted by Maitrepof:
In my case i found the problem, by looking a bit aroud the forum in the downtime.

That loading screen take a huge amount of memory (my guess is for the map), i had only 2gb of memory swap (had to set it like that a long time ago to play another game) and that's what cause the crash the game try to take all the memory, in my case something like 6gb and then try to get more for swap (it need about 16gb in total for that loading) and get killed by the os because it is not allowed to.

So my fix was to increase the memory swap by letting windows handle it (default option).

here hows to do it.
https://www.x-plane.com/kb/increasing-virtual-memory-on-windows/
and you also need a good amount of free space on your HDD. Something like at least 20Gb.

The loading will still take a huge amount of time, something like 2 minutes maybe more. But at least it can finish.

Hope it helps.

This also works for me, so maybe it will fix your game as well. Ain't gonna hurt to try.

stranger
stranger
Good find Ratzing, this allowed me to get to the next (crashing ship) cutscene. Eventually crashed during it though. . . Does look like it's a RAM isse, sad that my measly 12 gigs isn't enough even on low/medium settings at 720p.

D
stranger
stranger
D

Ok I was able to choose Medium quality settings to get to the beach area, however, choosing Camp from the map screen made it crash.
On a lighter note im actually loving the game and reckon it will be so awesome in the future ♡

So I've had a few more crashes along the way from landing on the beach. One at the people trying to save the mindflayer, which I got past with a reload, but can't get past a crash when we meet Gale. ♡

stranger
stranger
16GB RAM here, does not seem to be enough to load the map after the transponder cutscene. I don't really have 20GB free on my SSD that I could use to increase virtual memory. This is kinda stupid because 16GB of RAM had been well enough for every single game until Baldur's Gate 3.

D
stranger
stranger
D

So I've had a few more crashes along the way from landing on the beach. One at the people trying to save the mindflayer, which I got past with a reload, but can't get past a crash when we meet Gale. ♡

It all seems to work find with Medium quality settings for now.

R
stranger
stranger
R
Having same issue. downloaded the hotfix today. no change. downloaded new gefore drivers. no change. trying on very low settings. verified game files. virus checked my computer. ran as admin. dx11 and vulkan. nothing helps. been stuck here for over a week.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I'm having this problem, too. I'm on a Mid-2019 MBP, AMD Radeon 5500M, 8-core, 32gb memory. Have tried a number of different graphics setting and made sure nothing is running in the background.

stranger
stranger
Same issue here. Complete system crash, forced kernel reboot when activating transponder. This is happening on Steam after Patch #3 and I'm running a 2020 Macbook Pro with 16G Ram, Intel Iris Plus Graphics (all significntly better than both Minimum and Recommended specs).

Since this is still being reported since first release and has continued across 3 patches, I'd venture to say this qualifies as a major issue.

Last edited by shmeck; 06/12/20 10:24 PM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
Just want to chime in I have the exact same issue, and the ram increase fix posted here sort of does fix it, at the expense of 20gb virtual memory increase so yeah...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard