Next Thread
Print Thread
#677588 06/10/20 10:09 PM
raTlik Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi!

I've played the game for an hour or two and something I was worried that will bother me since the first gameplay release does bother me.
When you make an ability or skill check (i.e. deception roll) you are introduced with the Difficulty number that I need to beat with D20 die plus any modifiers and proficiency (if any).
I need to note that before selecting a dialog option that is roll-based it does show what kind of bonuses I will get by choosing it and I like that feature.
But, when I get to the roll, all I see if the number to beat and a D20 die. Once I roll the die, the number of that D20 is the total number, which is confusing as we players know that it is D20 + bonuses.
So when I have to beat 10 and on a roll, I see 9 I assume that it should be 9+(bonuses ex. 4) thus it should be 13 and I beat the roll. But the bonuses are not displayed.

Would it be possible to separate the D20 roll and the bonuses on the Ability/Skill check screen? And what would happen if I roll 19+4, the die would not display 23.
I am aware that this is not a 1:1 tabletop DnD game, but I really love and miss to see added all the modifiers from abilities, proficiencies, weapons, spells (blessing, etc.) at least as one combined number.

[img]https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2250246684[/img]
In the picture (if it loads) it looks like I rolled 6 to beat 8, but I have +4 to the roll (2 proficiency + 2 deception) so by the look of it I should have passed it with a total of 10. That is what bothers me :(

Any thoughts about that?
Anyone feels the same or am I the only one :)
Thank you.

raTlik

veteran
veteran
Yes, it probably would be a good idea if when selecting an option in dialogue, you get to see your modifiers to that skill. That's a very good idea.

I think the "number to reach or exceed" displayed already takes into account your modifiers. So if your total amount of modifiers to the roll is +4 and you see that you need to beat 8 on the die, it means the actual DC is 12. If your total modifiers was +3, it would say you needed to beat 13 on the die, and so on.

apprentice
apprentice
+1

I agree with Stabbey too, I think the modifiers reduce the DC offscreen but still want to see them.

raTlik Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you Stabbey,

thanks for the detailed explanation. That would indeed explain what I see and how it behaves.

Though, I would still be up to see it. As many players won't have a DnD background, seeing +n number which will get deducted in the background might be confusing.
I am sure that no UI change will happen at this stage unless it's critical. But perhaps this would be doable:
The user hovers over the DC and sees a small pop-up window with Original DC and other numbers affecting the DC and in what way (deducted or added). Just as a small overview.
I am sure the player can find it in logs, but I believe it is a major part of the game itself (rolls) so having them nicely visible, easily found would be appreciated. At least from me hehe smile

Fingers crossed that someone will find time to look into it. Perhaps for some Day-1 patch or even at later stages.
Thank you

raTlik

journeyman
journeyman
I am back and forth on this. As a pnp player, I am used to thinking of rolling as: D20 + modifiers. However, a new player doesn't necessarily think that way.

If you had a character with +2 persuasion and it was a DC10 to pass the persuasion check, removing the +2 from the D20 roll and making the DC 8 instead is effectively the same.

raTlik Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
My Apologies.

The pop-up is there. It shows the Original DC. Though, the following sentences mentioning that 1D20 + modifiers needs to meet the DC. Maybe it would not hurt to mention there that the modifiers are deducted from the Original DC.
Even though, it is kind of obvious. I don't know. Just when I see +n that are used as -n it just gets a bit... Not as clear as it could be I suppose.

Bottom line, what I was bothered with is no longer an issue for me.

Link Copied to Clipboard