Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#677672 06/10/20 11:26 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Wanted to start by saying I'm really enjoying everything! Here are some things I've noticed I think could be tweaked.

1. Enemy/Friendly Indicators will still show during in-game cinematics. (i.e. (SPOILER) when running to get to the nerve connectors to phase out, that little cutscene is where I noticed it.)
2. It doesn't automatically end your turn if you have nothing left you can do. (Maybe a personal preference thing.)
3. Perhaps have a tutorial popup for the autosaves. (After I saw the first one I assumed they would happen often enough, ended up dying about 30 minutes later and realized my mistake. Pop up would be more so that I know what to expect with the autosaves, and that ideally I should be saving more often.)
4. Hitting a crit is awesome, a crit failure didn't have the same feel though at least from what I saw. (Game seems hard as is, but I wouldn't mind getting hurt for a crit failure.)
5. I'm a big fan of click and drag for moving my camera around, didn't see an option for it but not a big deal, adjusted to the WASD rather quickly.

Loved the character creation, the dialogue options, the skill checks, all feels really great!

FlecherdsNasty #677818 07/10/20 01:12 AM
apprentice
apprentice
I also came here to suggest offering the option to toggle click/drag vs WASD. So far I am loving the game, having a great time all things considered. However, my most immediate gripes were with camera control and then...much to my dismay, the autosave function.

The one major thing that bothered me though, was the autosaves thing. I have no idea how to trigger them on or off I guess? I played for four hours, leveled up, made camp, had a full party, etc...Only to die in the ruins when 7 dudes suddenly burst out of the hall to gank my party. You mentioned something previously about how they target DOWNED characters immediately and while I understand it is an advantageous tactic it makes the game overly difficult right out of the bat. Every single NPC in the game shouldn't be acting on the same mastermind strategist wavelength. Any way...following points I'd like addressed are as follows:

1. FIX AUTOSAVES. I have no idea why my game hadn't been saving at the very least after I had rested at camp. I lost 4 hours of progress and had to start back on the spelljammer. Very upsetting.
2. Enemy AI is much too intelligent across the board. It's odd that every single enemy knows the ultimate strategy at all times no matter what. Watching an entire group of enemies run up to down and then kill 3 party members before they could roll a saving throw is preposterous.
3. I noticed I had the option to respond to Astarion that I was going to stay up with him to keep watch. There seemed to be no option to do this, unfortunately.
4. Add options to toggle things such as:
a. Hiding your helmet.
b. Autoskip turn if there's nothing you can do.
c. Switch to click/drag mode to browse environment.

Last edited by vometia; 07/10/20 01:16 AM. Reason: Formatting
King Qyote #677845 07/10/20 01:31 AM
stranger
stranger
Good feedback. I've gotten so use to F5 quicksaving every 5 minutes, its not a major issue for me (Habits from the old days of BG1/2). But, there should be perhaps options to set when you want to autosave. I'm use to most games that autosave do it at least when you change maps (going into interiors of buildings, etc.)

FlecherdsNasty #677869 07/10/20 01:55 AM
stranger
stranger
Bugs :

Talking to Shadowheart with Astarion (non-avatar) for her recruitment conversation will lead to her telling Astarion that she wants to speak with the one in charge (your custom character),
Comply, and then the character she's conversing to will switch to your custom character. But, then your custom character will introduce themselves as "Astarion", and at the end of the conversation Shadowheart won't be recruited, even if the conversation hints otherwise.
And you'll need to repeat the conversation, with your custom character to recruit her.

Suggestion :

1. I would love a name generator in character creation. Name generator that generates fitting name for my character's race.
2. Showing modifiers during checks might feel better for the player, since it'll make them feel that they rolled high numbers. Personally, failing a high DC checks feels more bearable than rolling low skill checks.
3. I wish, changing subrace wouldn't reset my choices for appearance.
4. I would love to have more non-combat Wizard's school, like Divination or Enchantment.
5. Prestidigitation to clear status like Acid could be swell

I'll post more feedback later after I play the game some more.

Last edited by Iveriad; 07/10/20 02:28 AM.
Iveriad #677920 07/10/20 02:38 AM
apprentice
apprentice
Thanks for the tip Martij7au, I will definitely try to build this habit. I guess I was most surprised that leveling up or resting at camp didn't result in an autosave but oh well. I'll get used to it until they implement something different.

Great suggestions Iveriad! I second the name generator, showing modifiers, and prestidigitation to clear acid status. Also, great catch on the bug, that's an odd one! As far as the qizard schools, I'm sure they'll be added to the final game, and the subrace changing the appearance default is a minor annoyance but I'm sure will be fixed soon.

FlecherdsNasty #678554 07/10/20 12:41 PM
stranger
stranger
Found more bugs :

If you talk to the caged goblin a second time, you'll be locked in an infinite loop.

Link Copied to Clipboard