Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Cyka Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Brought this game in an instant because i know Larian games produce quality without all the microtransactions but for all thats holy please discourage save scumming like the divinity series.

Larian games always have this weird feature that you get a tremendous benefit of save scumming or meta gaming in multiple ways:

1. you know ambush and can pre-set up your team to make any encounter an easy breeze.
2. you can reroll a drop over and over for better loot, this is counter productive in a game where you usually have fixed encounters and non spawning mobs.
3. Metagaming - if you reroll a save or know what to do you can always get the best options, then kill the quest giver you always get max exp to the point you are several levels above boss.

Seriously this is so frustrating to play with in their usual game because you either miss huge chunk of exp/quest/content, or go "Path to Victory" style gameplay where everything is beneath you because you set out your entire game path by repeatly save scumming, but this also makes you gotta follow a guide nearly step by step.

It also discourages roleplaying since most of the quests have one path that give you best exp or options, or you get nearly nothing at all.

Obisidian did much better with Pillars of Eternity series where you mainly get exp from quests and legendary items are fixed spawn and locations, really reduces the power of save scumming.

Last edited by Cyka; 07/10/20 02:05 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I never really understand this request; I mean if you don't want to, then don't.

If it's more about "the legendary stuff *should* be there somewhere... if only I could find it" I kinda see the point but I guess it depends on whether or not it should be a guarantee or a dice-roll. But if it's just "I could've got better equipment" it really comes down to whether or not you want to deal with what you're given. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, doesn't really matter either way. Ultimately I just end up modding stuff in anyway, though it'll be a while before that happens here...

J'aime le fromage.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Save scumming is fine for people who want it. I don’t and never felt like I missed out on anything is the Original Sins.

C
Cyka Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Legendaries behind a quest or dungeon is a must for CRPG where encounters are fixed, because it makes lore sense and it gives an incentive for you to interact with the game. It is in my opinion a must, both from a healthy gameplay perspective and immersion.

In dragon knight saga (divinity 2) i found a random purple axe with +8 magic missiles on a random trash mob and was insta shotting act 2 bosses, thats just dumb.

Same thing happens in Original sin where you find a random wand off a trash mob and you are shredding mobs immediately after.

Also the quests in Larian games all encourages alot of investigation and deep diving, which is great if you are roleplaying that kind of character but im completely stuck if im a brute, usually i find myself 2 levels below enemies if i dont investigate the hell out of everything even crates and boxes. That limits choice.

Last edited by Cyka; 07/10/20 02:15 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Cyka
Brought this game in an instant because i know Larian games produce quality without all the microtransactions but for all thats holy please discourage save scumming like the divinity series.

Larian games always have this weird feature that you get a tremendous benefit of save scumming or meta gaming in multiple ways:

1. you know ambush and can pre-set up your team to make any encounter an easy breeze.
2. you can reroll a drop over and over for better loot, this is counter productive in a game where you usually have fixed encounters and non spawning mobs.
3. Metagaming - if you reroll a save or know what to do you can always get the best options, then kill the quest giver you always get max exp to the point you are several levels above boss.

Seriously this is so frustrating to play with in their usual game because you either miss huge chunk of exp/quest/content, or go "Path to Victory" style gameplay where everything is beneath you because you set out your entire game path by repeatly save scumming, but this also makes you gotta follow a guide nearly step by step.

It also discourages roleplaying since most of the quests have one path that give you best exp or options, or you get nearly nothing at all.

Obisidian did much better with Pillars of Eternity series where you mainly get exp from quests and legendary items are fixed spawn and locations, really reduces the power of save scumming.

When I read your post, I figure you save scumming like mad, cheesing your way to godmode, and at the same time cursing and moaning "Why! Why are you making me do this Larian!". Made me chuckle.

C
Cyka Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
C
Like, actually make an effort to reply you know. You bring 0 qualities to a discussion. Be an adult.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's unclear what you want, how you want to be solved. Maybe you need a "no save game" mode or don't allow saves just once every 5 hours or what?
I don't mind any such option, as long as I can save between every encounter and every 5 mins.

Fun is subjective. I have fun using "god mode" and really need a guide for a perfect playthrough, step by step, with pics included if possible. So far I don't have any of these, but I understand it's just early version.

Maybe later will be a "mindless easy mode" and also an "expert iron man maximum difficult mode" as well.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vometia
I mean if you don't want to, then don't..

This. Only play with other people who hate save scumming. I someone playing single play likes to save scum, so what? Why should their fun ruin yours?

stranger
stranger
I don’t like to save scum. But I don’t care if others do. What does it hurt me? I mean this is not an MMO... I’d have a lot more of an issue if it was an MMORPG.

It’s your game okay the way you want. I know I have missed a ton all ready. Astorian sketched me out so I told him to take a hike. Probably not the optimal option but I don’t care I’m playing how I want. You should play the way you want.

addict
addict
I very rarely save-scum, and only if I'm at around hour 200-300 of something and multiple playthroughs in.
It's as simple as not doing it if you don't want to.
I don't see why the entire design principle should change by putting playstyle restrictions in place just so that a handful of people can pat themselves on the back for accepting every consequence and outcome.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

Banned
Banned
Oh come on. Let people play the game the wayy they want.

old hand
old hand
I used save scumming already, because I made a Wizard with 16 base int, the highest it could go and I still keep failing the Intelligence checks. I dont want to have to play through the whole game again on the same character just to see what might have been different in such cases if the roll had passed.

Also what about if you die? Are you allowed to reload or do you start a new game? If you don't play ironman then you are also save scumming.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 07/10/20 08:12 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Wait, you want the game to keep your behavior in check because you keep failing your willpower save irl?

addict
addict
Ok I’ll bite...

I kinda see where the OP is coming from. IF(!) you have too many dice rolls with instant results, get something good vs do not, then that design promotes save scumming.

If however the results aren’t immediately recognizable, or failure isn’t always bad but just different, then you save scum less.

But yeah at the end of the day it’s about the player.

Banned
Banned
Originally Posted by Skallewag
Wait, you want the game to keep your behavior in check because you keep failing your willpower save irl?

Spot on there. OP has no self control.

mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Thanks to OP I have decided to use f5 more frequently and make as many saves as I want.

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
Originally Posted by vometia
I mean if you don't want to, then don't..

This. Only play with other people who hate save scumming. I someone playing single play likes to save scum, so what? Why should their fun ruin yours?

Exactly. I also really get aggravated when I hear demands like this one. Nobody is forcing the OP to save-scum. They can play their game exactly as they want. So why try to take away someone else's ability to play the game their way? Seems extremely selfish and narcissistic. For me, this game especially screams for save-scumming, and I will do it profusely.

apprentice
apprentice
If you don't save often this game will be very short and require starting over at the beginning. Game is pretty unforgiving at the start but I have no idea how it will be , I have yet to get past the second area.

stranger
stranger
I sold him out to the hunter than was on his tail. No love lost there.

journeyman
journeyman
regarding random items, all the magic items I've found thus far have been clearly "pre-genned" so I don't think random item loot is something we need to worry about

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard