Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
old hand
old hand
I enjoyed using save scumming when talking to Princess Gut to see all possibilities rather than needing to use multiple playthroughs.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Maybe they made the quick-loading times (at least past the "tutorial" area) that reasonably long (15-20 seconds on an SSD and a Ryzen) for a reason. laugh Otherwise who really cares. There's already healthy enough debate about how people cannot resist scumming given the nature of the dice rolls... that may defeat the original purpose, but it's their choice and time and money spent.

Now in multiplayer it may be a bit annoying and another topic.

Last edited by Sven_; 10/10/20 11:41 AM.
Yeah, the game takes too long to load to save scum!

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sven_
Maybe they made the quick-loading times (at least past the "tutorial" area) that reasonably long (15-20 seconds on an SSD and a Ryzen) for a reason. laugh Otherwise who really cares. There's already healthy enough debate about how people cannot resist scumming given the nature of the dice rolls... that may defeat the original purpose, but it's their choice and time and money spent.

Now in multiplayer it may be a bit annoying and another topic.

Try again on an NVME drive, takes like 5 seconds to reload.

Well ok, it took 15 seconds.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 10/10/20 11:59 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
I originally began playing as 'whatever happens, happens', until I realized some of the choices I made led me to life or death situations no matter how proficient at a skill I am. This pushed me to save scumming in my encounters and getting obsessed over the more heavier elements working out well.

But at the end of the day, why does it concern you how others play? I play single player. My story is however I want it to be. My experience is for me alone. That's a rather weak request to worry about other people's gameplay styles. Who cares. lol

journeyman
journeyman
I save scummed with the tiefling girl and the druids. I really wanted to get her out of that situation and I thought, like the tieflings thought, that druids are supposed to be good guys. That killing them even though that lady was horrible would be a bad thing.

On my second character, I failed the check and she died, decided fine, these druids are dying. This turned out to be a far more entertaining and enlightening outcome. I really don't like druids as is, being congratulated for killing them was great and I found out this game seems less black-and-white than BG1&2.

I don't care if people save scum but for me, this discouraged doing so.

stranger
stranger
People can play however they want.

S
veteran
veteran
S
if you feel you are beeing incentivized to savescum if the game features the option to do so then maybe you should limit yourself to one save.
Seriously thats on you.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Sordak
if you feel you are beeing incentivized to savescum if the game features the option to do so then maybe you should limit yourself to one save.
Seriously thats on you.

Oh this is actually very easy to implement, a lot of games offer an ironman mode as such that disables hsving any more than one save file.

Usually ironman challenges become a thing after mastering everything over hundreds of playthroughs in such a game, as I have done in BG2 a few times.

Things like having a full perfect custom party and knowing to have a full caster shutdown sorcerer and archer tag team trivialised BG2 without such challenges. Realizing as well just how powerfully broken the polymorph self spell was, and them making a fully buffed sword spider to just cleave through every encounter, while it was also immune to webs spammed by another caster ....

Good grief that fighter / mage I once made running around as nothing but a sword spider. Bite poison dead, bite poison dead, bite poison dead, bite poison dead.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard