Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#677926 07/10/20 02:46 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Familiars are really exploitable. The Imp warlocks get can invis stealth into a group of enemies, attack one, fly away without provoking opportunity attacks, and then hide as a bonus action. Then next turn they can invis and stealth back in, and the next turn start the whole thing over again. After the familiar hides the AI dont look for it or anything. Im able to send my familiar across the map alone and solo encounters with no cost since it doesnt use a spell slot.

This could be solved by not letting the familiar hide as a bonus action. While the process might sound tedious, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and I was even able to solo the four level four gnolls outside the blighted village with JUST the familiar.
Even if you mess up and the familiar dies, you can just try again for free. The only case you wouldn't be able to do this is in an enclosed environment or there being so many enemies there is no place you can feasible go to hide even with flight and movement.

apprentice
apprentice
+1 Familiars are wayyyyy broken

stranger
stranger
Quasit has a fear ability that resets on short rest. You can work around this by simply summoning a new one.

The whole game is broken and exploitable, try chain rezzing, its painfully bad...

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Lillypaddle

This could be solved by not letting the familiar hide as a bonus action. While the process might sound tedious, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and I was even able to solo the four level four gnolls outside the blighted village with JUST the familiar.

That should be solved by just making the AI search for it. I've managed same trick *in combat* (just need few corners and dark room) so not like fixing familiars will remove the exploit.

journeyman
journeyman
Familiars are really exploitable. The Imp warlocks get can invis stealth into a group of enemies, attack one, fly away without provoking opportunity attacks, and then hide as a bonus action. Then next turn they can invis and stealth back in, and the next turn start the whole thing over again. After the familiar hides the AI dont look for it or anything. Im able to send my familiar across the map alone and solo encounters with no cost since it doesnt use a spell slot.

Even if you mess up and the familiar dies, you can just try again for free. The only case you wouldn't be able to do this is in an enclosed environment or there being so many enemies there is no place you can feasible go to hide even with flight and movement.

This is yet another example of how what would be considered a rather small change to someone not knowing D&D5 can snowball into something really broken.
Rogues (and other subclasses exceptions) should be the only ones featuring hide/dash/disengagement as a bonus action.
Opening up those things to everyone makes the game broken and it doesn't feel like a D&D5 based game should.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Temperance
This is yet another example of how what would be considered a rather small change to someone not knowing D&D5 can snowball into something really broken.
Rogues (and other subclasses exceptions) should be the only ones featuring hide/dash/disengagement as a bonus action.
Opening up those things to everyone makes the game broken and it doesn't feel like a D&D5 based game should.

Totally agree

stranger
stranger
Hi guys will add another 5 coins to this:

- Familiars should not be "Spell slot" and "Concentration" based, they are pets who can scout and some of them should give advantage on atk like in real D&D 5e rules.

Last edited by Nefrit; 08/10/20 03:15 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

This is not a familiar problem; a lot of what they have done with familiars is actually fairly understandable, and allows for a lot of tricks. The problem is that combat stealth is totally broken. Try stealthing on a ledge, shooting an arrow at foes, then hiding again as you end the turn. The enemy will do the same thing - just stand around and wait to die. This has been reported multiple times already.

stranger
stranger

There is bigger problem here and familiars are only a side effect.

Enemies just don't follow you reliably when you hide. You can do similar shenaningans with companions, the problem is that enemies will not group out and "check out" the place they got attacked from

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gabriel Farishta
This is not a familiar problem; a lot of what they have done with familiars is actually fairly understandable, and allows for a lot of tricks. The problem is that combat stealth is totally broken. Try stealthing on a ledge, shooting an arrow at foes, then hiding again as you end the turn. The enemy will do the same thing - just stand around and wait to die. This has been reported multiple times already.

Yup, spotting/perception and line of site have major problems in general.

I still think they should have made familiars somewhat autonomous entities, not ongoing "spell effects".

Link Copied to Clipboard