Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Original title: Character creation feels very limited

I love the game so far! But I feel a little underwhelmed by the character creation. I would really like to see some way of customizing the facial features of our character in the final game. Or at least get more head types because the 6 faces that come with each race/gender feel very limiting. I saw a previous post that mentioned a body weight slider. I think that would be a really great feature. But I really hope there will be more in the way of appearance customization in the future since the d&d franchise is so focused the characters that we create.

Last edited by vometia; 08/10/20 10:25 AM. Reason: title
addict
addict
A body slider would be cool but it might also be painful to add. This way they would have to make every armor piece adjustable to that on top of races that are more...exotic and wild(?). And if there are any cinematics that has to do with interacting with our main character, idk how they would go about doing that around a body slider. Maybe it's easy and doable, im not too knowledgeable in that regard.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A slider might be difficult to add but it would be nice to at least choose between a couple diffrent body types. My biggest concern is the faces because at the moment it feels way too limited for a dnd game. I would like to at least be able to mix and match diffrent facial features to create unique characters.

veteran
veteran
Considering how often we shall see our protagonist, I think invensting in proper character creation would pay off. Ideally a full on slider extravaganza, and if it's not possible a wealth of pre-made faces and body types to choose from.

stranger
stranger
I think adding more cosmetic variations could be extremely helpful. Give us levels of beard stubble, different eyebrows, different colored eyes(heterochromia), more makeup options, more tattoos(that don't feel like South LA gang symbols),or even scars. I kept feeling like no matter who I made they were always baby faced.

journeyman
journeyman
Agreed to everything. We need some serious customization.

stranger
stranger
The priority for this is very low, but I hope some suggestion are possible to be implemented in the future of this game. Character Creation is a very important aspect for me. I love making the character my own. So the more options I have, the more I enjoy playing and immersing in the world. I already enjoy the great variety in faces, hair, colors for everything, horns, ... The characters look stunning and I think some of my suggestions might be difficult or impossible to implement, but I don't know.

For example the dwarves and halflings look a bit odd with their big head and body proportions, so I most likely will not create a character for this race. Also the noses for the Githyanki look odd and wrong. They look like shrunken noses that are too narrow with too small nostrils. I saw better looking noses in many drawings. The nose comepletly eliminates them as possible characters for me.

Here are some general suggestions/ideas:

Body types:
- body weight (large, muscular, skinny, ...)
- body height
- body width

Face/Head:
- head size
- burn marks and other marks
- scars
- accessories (earrings, piercings, eyepatch, ...)
- missing one eye/ear
- more tattoos/makeup
- Iris heterochromia

apprentice
apprentice
Would definitely like the option for an eyepatch, hook hand, peg leg, musculature/fat control, as well as sliders for hips, bums, breasts, and beard length.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes! I agree. I wanted to make my dream lady with a bit more muscle tone, but alas, that is not possible... yet (I hope). What do you think, Larian devs? smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'd love either, to be honest. Slider or body types. Especially for your dream romantic interest.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hear! Hear!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Give yourself some credit, as I think this not that low priority at all. This game is all about bringing characters to life that you can imagine. I specifically like the option for body types. Especially when it comes to creating your dream romantic interest!

T
stranger
stranger
T
So far loving what Larian is doing with BG3 and also allowing us to give feedback and mold the game.

With DO:S2 I had raised the issue that though there may be multiple fantasy races in the game there wasn't a lot of representation for facial features that represent other earth based ethnicities. Larian seems to be making strides to correct this in BG3 but a lot more should and could be done before the release of this game. I have gone through character creation thoroughly and noticed that besides changing skin.....if you want to be an elf you have to accept the more european looking facial features and even as a human there a very few facial features for asian/indian and african character creation. It would be preferential to have sliders or more "heads" that improve representation in character creation because changing the skin tone but being stuck with a "european" looking character is not really a "custom" character. Bethesda is really good at allowing its players the freedom to truly create characters that represent them because diversity is in the shape of noses, lips, cheek bones and jaws and it would be nice to see Larian make more strides in this direction.

Once again it is night and day between DO:S2 and BG3 but it still is night and day between BG3 and Skyrim/Fallout4 character creation.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My guess is: More is coming there. They did use actual face scans as basis for the character faces, and I doubt all of them are implemented yet, since the selection is rather limited in general right now.

That being said: Again - like in many other games apparently lacking "representation" - you also have to keep the setting in mind. In the Realm's northern/middle Swordcoast, European/Nordic and Arabic/Indian ethnic equivalents are the vast majority of the population, while Asian (Shou-Lung, Kara Tur) and black African (Zakhara) analogues basically are non existing, since their respective countries are far, far away and their people usually don't venture far from home... aside from the odd, wandering Shou monk or southern trader/mercenary, maybe.

journeyman
journeyman
As for elves, Elves have their own distinct look, sharp, high cheek bones angular. I don't WANT elves to be reduced to "humans with pointy ears" that cheapens elves

stranger
stranger
Yeah, it's pretty lacking currently. I think scars are a definite must and I think there should also be overlap with the face scan options. They are all human scans so I don't see why we can't just use some of the Elf options for the Tieflings or whatever.

Body types would be nice too, doesn't need to be slider or triangle-thing, but a small number of options would be cool. Although that will cause armour/clipping issues, as with height and other things.

They will add more options in the future, I'm sure. Just hope there is a barber or something to change some appearance options on an existing save.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by WarBaby2
My guess is: More is coming there. They did use actual face scans as basis for the character faces, and I doubt all of them are implemented yet, since the selection is rather limited in general right now.

That being said: Again - like in many other games apparently lacking "representation" - you also have to keep the setting in mind. In the Realm's northern/middle Swordcoast, European/Nordic and Arabic/Indian ethnic equivalents are the vast majority of the population, while Asian (Shou-Lung, Kara Tur) and black African (Zakhara) analogues basically are non existing, since their respective countries are far, far away and their people usually don't venture far from home... aside from the odd, wandering Shou monk or southern trader/mercenary, maybe.

The problem with "x racial analogue is too far away from the Sword Coast to be realistically included" is that it makes the assumption that there's no trade from those places - when there absolutely is. Adventurers are always the exceptions, and it's possible that they could be representative of many far flung places. Also, you don't have to go to Zakhara for African analogues, they also come from Chult which is just south across the sea from Calimshan.

Z.

Originally Posted by BrianDavion
As for elves, Elves have their own distinct look, sharp, high cheek bones angular. I don't WANT elves to be reduced to "humans with pointy ears" that cheapens elves

I've been barking that forever, but we are in a minority here, nobody seems to care, I guess only elf lovers. Elves are NOT supposed to look human, they are stated to appear 'haunting' and 'otherworldly', and it disappoints me the way they've been represented thus far.

As for diversity goes, considering there's 5-6 heads per race with only 1 or 2 caucasic looking heads, 1 mixed and the rest looking african or asian (even elves) they're doing a good job at that. Only we have too few faces to choose from atm.

Last edited by Goldberry; 08/10/20 06:58 AM.
addict
addict
Dwarves have two voices and neither sound like a dwarf. Lets talk about the nice trimmed beards, no thanks. Not one good dwarven beard or hair. As a matter of fact, they share the same as the human. So I know this cant be as intended for opening day...? is it?

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zandilar
The problem with "x racial analogue is too far away from the Sword Coast to be realistically included" is that it makes the assumption that there's no trade from those places - when there absolutely is. Adventurers are always the exceptions, and it's possible that they could be representative of many far flung places. Also, you don't have to go to Zakhara for African analogues, they also come from Chult which is just south across the sea from Calimshan.

Z.

Chult is more along the lines of middle and south America... but, as I said, sure, there could be the odd Zakharan trader or Shou monk as a player character, but I would understand when Larian doesn't allow that option for a game set on the northern middle Swordcoast. Besides: Personally, for me, Implementing the looks alone would not really cut it in the first place. Those characters would hail from very different cultures, sporting at least heavily accented common, if they speak it at all, and using completely different figures of speech, references to deities, etc. That's what's often forgotten when people talk about diversity... it's usually not as simple as they make it out to be.

On the elves: I hear ya! Elves should deffinatly not look like caucasians, not even in the Realms. Especially Eladrin (High/Sun Elves) should have: High cheek bones, almond shaped eyes, otherworldy dellicacy of facial features... etc. but I guess - with Larian so very proud of their face scanning job - they just took the easy way there too.

...and finally on the dwarves: Yea, well, they might be called shield dwarves, but they all hail from the Great Rift, if you catch my drift... wink

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard