Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Now I haven't played far yet, so I could be wrong. Gale is a wizard and I attempted to make him learn a spell, but it cost gold?
We have to pay gold for the wizards to learn spells, what is this from? I was expecting it to be like in 5th edition, where they do an intelligence check to learn spells from scrolls. A quote:
"When a spell is copied from a spell scroll, the copier must succeed on an Intelligence (Arcana) check with a DC equal to 10 + the spell’s level. If the check succeeds, the spell is successfully copied. Whether the check succeeds or fails, the spell scroll is destroyed."

I don't see the logic behind paying gold to learn spells from scrolls. It'll also drain the party's gold having to put gold aside to learn spells, which could make players reluctant to use this feature. Thoughts?

stranger
stranger
Player's Handbook, 5th Ed., Wizard Class Features:

Copying a Spell into the Book.

[...]

For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells.

I haven't seen a rule that would make it free to copy from a scroll. Your quote is just another obstacle when trying to copy a spell.

Last edited by Meto; 07/10/20 12:07 PM.
stranger
stranger
Usually Wizards need to use high quality ink and paper to copy spells into their spellbook. Deciphering a Spellscroll takes an Arcana Check as you described, but the material components to copy the spell are still required.

"Copying that spell into your spellbook involves reproducing the basic form of the spell, then deciphering the unique system of notation used by the wizard who wrote it. You must practice the spell until you understand the sounds or gestures required, then transcribe it into your spellbook using your own notation.
For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells."

The gold cost is simply streamlined in the game, because otherwise you would constantly be on the lookout for someone selling paper and ink. At least that's what I would assume.

enthusiast
enthusiast
yeah what Sproll says, the mechanics in 5e requrie you spend gold per level of the spell being learned, so thats what its the way it is

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Meto
Player's Handbook, 5th Ed., Wizard Class Features:

Copying a Spell into the Book.

[...]

For each level of the spell, the process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells.

I haven't seen a rule that would make it free to copy from a scroll. Your quote is just another obstacle when trying to copy a spell.

I must've looked at the wrong 5th edition site, because I also found my quote on someone who were explaining 5th edition rules.

Thanks for clearing that up!

veteran
veteran
Wizards will also eventually not be allowed to learn from scrolls that aren't on their spell list.

Originally Posted by Sproll Incredibl
The gold cost is simply streamlined in the game, because otherwise you would constantly be on the lookout for someone selling paper and ink. At least that's what I would assume.

Yes, that would be a pretty difficult thing to do at the start, I wouldn't expect a refugee camp hiding in a hollow to have a large quantity of expensive paper and ink. Streamlining it is fine.

stranger
stranger
Spells are fairly powerful and having a wide selection is a good thing. The gold cost is purchasing the magical inks and materials to copy a spell. I found I could learn spells not in my class list and even characters who don't have a spell book.

veteran
veteran
Wizards have the widest spell selection in the game already. They should not be able to usurp the roles of other classes.

Link Copied to Clipboard