Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Enjoying the EA so far. After BG3 Black Hound got cancelled back then, I didn't even get my hopes up for a possible third installment, like ever.

However, I am a little dissapointed in the variety of faces we can choose from.

I don't have an issue with no sliders and I was so excited to read that you guys photo scanned over 150 faces just for the main character - yet ingame upon browsing the male options for most races (subraces), it seems to be almost always the same selection (features wise):

4-5 almost same looking pasty white dudes and 1 black guy.

That's it. And I am not even exaggerating that much.

I tried to recreate my tabletop Half-Elf Warlock from Kara-Tur (so think asian/oriental), but it's pretty much impossible with the current selection, since there is no asian looking preset for the dudes within any race. :c

So my question is, are you guys planning on increasing the number of faces? Can we expect some more facial variety/presets in the future? smile

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Deathstruck
EDIT: For some reason I cannot hyperlink the article

New users had a restriction on things like links and so on; you can now do so though I've edited it anyway.

As far as the number of faces goes, though I personally don't know what lies ahead, I would imagine this will be (probably significantly) expanded by the time of the main release. At this point most stuff is still at a relatively early stage of development.

J'aime le fromage.
W
veteran
veteran
W
I would like it if the included a few sliders and what not. The faces we have look great but there really isn’t enough variety.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by vometia
EDIT: For some reason I cannot hyperlink the article

New users had a restriction on things like links and so on; you can now do so though I've edited it anyway.

Thank you! Are you also the same vometia from the old Bioware Social forums, by any chance?

I also finally managed to find the elusive asian preset. There is literally just one, hiding under face 5 for the High/Wood Elf. grin

[img]https://imgur.com/a/iszFgvg[/img]

Here's hoping we get to find some more (and variety in general) in the future. For the rest of the races too, maybe?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Thank you! Are you also the same vometia from the old Bioware Social forums, by any chance?

I am. I'm still in touch with a few people from back in the day.

I also finally managed to find the elusive asian preset. There is literally just one, hiding under face 5 for the High/Wood Elf. grin

[img]https://imgur.com/a/iszFgvg[/img]

Here's hoping we get to find some more (and variety in general) in the future. For the rest of the races too, maybe?

That does look pretty good. I think there's a fairly wide breadth of options to be found though I would also like to see some fine-tuning, whether it's more heads, morphing or however it's going to be implemented. I'm pretty confident there will be more choice though.

J'aime le fromage.
S
veteran
veteran
S
There definitly needs to be Sliders now.
Ok theres few faces per race, maybe, but the bigger issue is that most people seem to gravitate towards the same ones. that tends to be a problem with attractiveness and how spread out the faces are in terms of ethnicity, that means that you pretty much have one or two faces per ethnicity. Which realy means that "choice" is a big word for what youve got in terms of faces

the other users pointed this out already. basically theres "the asian one". And when you then add the fact that people probably arent going to pick the unattractive ones, you end up with not a lot of variation for any given archetype you could go for.

we know how the faces are made.
Face scanning real people and then changign them in the software.
So how is this different from sliders?

The only reason not to have sliders appears to be that the Developer team wants *their* vision of what those faces look like be the ones you can pick from.
Im not implying ill intent here, and i guess implementing sliders isnt as easy as implementing whatever user interface the devs use since its probably not fit for purpose for the end user.

But still, from what ive seen of the Early Access right now, Sliders are a must have.

Last edited by Sordak; 08/10/20 01:23 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by vometia

That does look pretty good. I think there's a fairly wide breadth of options to be found though I would also like to see some fine-tuning, whether it's more heads, morphing or however it's going to be implemented. I'm pretty confident there will be more choice though.

Fingers crossed for more, then. But if it comes to the worst, I guess I could always mod around it and make that face available for Half-Elves. I think there were even mods like these for DOS2. laugh

Originally Posted by Sordak
There definitly needs to be Sliders now.
Ok theres few faces per race, maybe, but the bigger issue is that most people seem to gravitate towards the same ones. that tends to be a problem with attractiveness and how spread out the faces are in terms of ethnicity, that means that you pretty much have one or two faces per ethnicity. Which realy means that "choice" is a big word for what youve got in terms of faces

the other users pointed this out already. basically theres "the asian one". And when you then add the fact that people probably arent going to pick the unattractive ones, you end up with not a lot of variation for any given archetype you could go for.

we know how the faces are made.
Face scanning real people and then changign them in the software.
So how is this different from sliders?

The only reason not to have sliders appears to be that the Developer team wants *their* vision of what those faces look like be the ones you can pick from.
Im not implying ill intent here, and i guess implementing sliders isnt as easy as implementing whatever user interface the devs use since its probably not fit for purpose for the end user.

But still, from what ive seen of the Early Access right now, Sliders are a must have.

You bring up some good points about people always picking the most "attractive" face, which then ends up with everyone choosing the same.
I of course wouldn't mind sliders myself, but like you said: I am also unsure as in how difficult their inclusion would be in combination with these photo scanned faces.

Come to think of it, Character face creation has always been pretty lackluster in Larian games. Heck, a body slider would already be a tremendous improvement for starters. :P

Banned
Banned
It seems odd that they are restricting certain faces to certain races. Why not just have all the face shapes available for everyone? I presume that most of the real-life people those faces they scanned were human (though I have no idea where they found githyanki), so surely they should all make reasonable human faces. And the difference to an elf is surely just pointy ears.

W
veteran
veteran
W
I just read an article that addressed this on Kotaku. They are planning on adding different heads already in the game to different body rigs, add new faces and new hair options throughout EA.

veteran
veteran
I do not know if they are going to make more, because according to the last update readme even if you have half-demons and drows at the end of the day....

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1086940/view/2896336186738209915
"Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.

Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!"

It seems we do not need horns, tails or beards, people just like the classic recipe: shaved, shorthaired default human commander shepard.

(Read as /joke laugh )

Last edited by _Vic_; 09/10/20 09:06 PM.
S
veteran
veteran
S
that one game journo article that praised bg3 for not letting the players have sliders almost made me wan tto slam my head into a wall.

never listen to journos, theyre always wrong

Originally Posted by _Vic_
I do not know if they are going to make more, because according to the last update readme even if you have half-demons and drows at the end of the day....

"Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.

Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!"

It seems we do not need horns, tails or beards, people just like the classic recipe: shaved, shorthaired default human commander shepard.

(Read as /joke laugh )

I'm not surprised at all, I think most people like to keep it classic and vanilla when it comes to making a character. Myself included :'D

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by _Vic_

(Read as /joke laugh )

I know that article was more of a joke/jab, but that defo did not suprise me at all. laugh

... also it's not like the current (very limited) character selection helped the matter much, either.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Sordak

That's a terrible reason. Once the player gets the game, the developers no longer have a say in how that content is consumed.

The creative element in RPGs is a collaborative effort between the developers and the player. The devs should not be trying to protect the player from himself.

Sliders are definitely more work, so I can see why they're not included yet. I won't judge the game for its lack of slides until full release, but even then games rarely offer as much customization as players would like. Just look at Skyrim and how much more detailed the character creator has been made with mods.
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I just read an article that addressed this on Kotaku. They are planning on adding different heads already in the game to different body rigs, add new faces and new hair options throughout EA.

I'm already genuinely impressed by the hair options.

Last edited by Sylvius the Mad; 11/10/20 07:54 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard