Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
So I played about five hours last night and I was extremely impressed with this EA. The game is very immersive and I really feel like I am in the world of DND. One thing that I noticed and thought could be improved is the way that the dice roll works for skill checks. Right now skill checks seem really lackluster, and not very informational. You roll a d20 and hope for the best, but I thought that this could be greatly improved. I think it would be smart to show a breakdown of the dice roll, which would include your roll + any proficiency bonus' added.

For example, I had to make an opposed Dex roll of 13 in a certain interaction. I happened to roll a 15 on the die, but I didn't see or notice if my Dex modifier was added to the roll. I have a +4 to my Dex, so in this instance did I roll an 11+4? Or did I just roll a d20 and get 15 with no added bonuses? I think that providing this information will make rolls feel that much better, and allow us to know where we stand when it comes to passing skill checks and such. I thought that the screen could look something like this...

[Linked Image]

I don't know if there are already plans for this or what, but it would make me feel a lot better if there were a clear breakdown of rolls. Let me know what you guys think, I am sure many of you have a similar opinion.

stranger
stranger
If you hold your cursor over the difficulty check before you roll, you can see the starting difficulty check Minus your skill modifier. So the difficulty check shown that you need to reach accounts for your modifier. That way your only rolling a D20. I think though it is less satisfying this way than adding your modifier after you roll, but that’s just preference.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Kaldon
If you hold your cursor over the difficulty check before you roll, you can see the starting difficulty check Minus your skill modifier. So the difficulty check shown that you need to reach accounts for your modifier. That way your only rolling a D20. I think though it is less satisfying this way than adding your modifier after you roll, but that’s just preference.

Really? I hadn't noticed that yet. I also find that very unsatisfying. I think the traditional way of rolling as you would in the table top would be a better approach, and it gives me a shot of serotonin when its done that way xD

veteran
veteran
For example, I had to make an opposed Dex roll of 13 in a certain interaction. I happened to roll a 15 on the die, but I didn't see or notice if my Dex modifier was added to the roll. I have a +4 to my Dex, so in this instance did I roll an 11+4? Or did I just roll a d20 and get 15 with no added bonuses? I think that providing this information will make rolls feel that much better, and allow us to know where we stand when it comes to passing skill checks and such. I thought that the screen could look something like this...

Modifiers are already taken into account for the target. The DC you had to hit was 17, but your +4 Modifier reduced it to 13. You rolled You rolled a 15 and passed.

Here's how the explanation from your screenshot should look:

Base DC: 10
Modifier: +2
Target = Base DC - Modifier = 8
Roll: 6

Last edited by Stabbey; 07/10/20 02:12 PM.
L
addict
addict
L
It would be great if the combat log could be accurate and more detailed.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Are we playing the same game?

Outside combat the die roll - with two dice if Advantage - is animatws, the bonuses or detractors listed below. Once the d20 stops rolling around and stills the bonuses/detractors fly to the dice with a WHOOSH, altering the number on it.

Bypassing the animation and skipping to the final result requires clicking on the rolling dice.

Or did I misunderstand the OP?

Last edited by Buba68; 08/06/23 11:48 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Hi folks, just pointing out that this is a thread from 2020 that was necroed by a spammer whose account has now been banned and messages deleted (I was suspicious of the user from the start but sometimes it’s not 100% clear so I need to wait and keep my eye on them until they actually add spam links to a post).

Given the changes in the game since 2020 I’m going to lock this old thread. Anyone is of course free to create a new thread critiquing the dice roll feedback as it is now.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"

Link Copied to Clipboard