Print Thread
Page 42 of 49 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 48 49
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Archaven
if i may add, the chain system also make it more inconvenient and annoying if you were have more party characters (via a mod?). of course i would like to have an official method of playing the game with 6 party characters only if larian permits it.
For what is worth this was already said several times since the first pages (but it doesn't hurt repeating at this point, since no one is going through 40 pages or more of reiteration of the same arguments).

Honestly right now between the group/ungroup shortcut and the group stealth toggle is not even AS BAD as it used to be.
Still FAR from ideal, though. But it feels more and more we are on the losing side of history here.

which begs a question why didn't larian just allow the click and drag selection of the party members for players that uses the keyboard and mouse? is there a specific reason why they need to have this chain system for KBM?

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Your guess is as good as mine.
I've been complaining about this crap since the DOS days, the overwhelming majority of people who ever bothered commenting about it every single time the topic comes up seem to agree (if with different degree of care) that the system is simply bad...

But Larian seems to be quite adamant about sticking to it no matter what and at best putting some stitch on it.
And what's worse, I can't remember a single time they ever acknowledge publicly that they are aware of the criticism or why they are so stubborn about it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
Sorry, I haven't read all 40+ pages of this thread, but... I agree, this is one of the more frustrating aspects of the game.

Does this seem to be worse in Patch 7 than 6 to anyone else but me?

Climbing seems to be the worst. I'll have 4 characters chained, click on a ladder, and the results are often ridiculous. Characters climbing up and down multiple times over each other.

Chaining characters in stealth mode seems spotty at best, with some following some of the time, but not at others.

During normal movement the party seems to follow very slowly.

I would prefer the older method of setting a party configuration/marching order and them moving in lock step.

veteran
veteran
It would be nice to get an official reply to this.

Been playing patch 7 -- first time in new area, I skipped patch 6.

The art in patch 7 is amazing, the music is really good, the battles are really fun and challenging but -- Mystra perverse -- this new area highlights everything that I don't like the movement system. Group jump -- lost Wyll and Shadowheart. Characters walking into lava.

After playing WotR and Solasta I just feel the movement system is a battle, one the players will always lose.

Don't fix this movement system, start from scratch. Pull the weed by its roots.

Last edited by KillerRabbit; 01/03/22 01:54 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
It would be nice to get an official reply to this.

Been playing patch 7 -- first time in new area, I skipped patch 6.

The art in patch 7 is amazing, the music is really good, the battles are really fun and challenging but -- Mystra perverse -- this new area highlights everything that I don't like the movement system. Group jump -- lost Wyll and Shadowheart. Characters walking into lava.

After playing WotR and Solasta I just feel the movement system is a battle, one the players will always lose.

Don't fix this movement system, start from scratch. Pull the weed by it's roots.

Lol. Couldn't have said it better.

veteran
veteran
Ugh! I can see what people are saying here. It seems the movement mechanics and companion pathing is WORSE! Right at the very beginning, I have Shadowheart, my Drow Mage, Astarion and a Raven Familiar in my party. Not big. Nice, small group. I jump down to go to the little cove where the Harper stash thing is not far from Astarion's pod. Everyone follows. All is working well.

Go back. I'm in the nautiloid and stop. Wait. Where is everyone?

Ah. They be waiting back by the little jump up from the path to the Harper stash. They decided that jumping is too hard and they're going to just take a break there for the rest of the day.

So I go back. I select Shadowheart. My Mage drops down and joins them. Shadowheart jumps up and my Mage joins her. We start off. Astarion and my Raven don't follow - I call the Raven Rendzer.

So I ungroup. I select Astarion. Get him to jump up and join the others. Regroup. Raven still won't follow. Yep. Had to do each character one at a time.

But that's not all. We're going around on normal terrain. Everyone was following just fine. I get to Lae'zel. Wait! Where's Rendzer? Hmmm. For some reason, he's decided to stop. He's too tired to keep going. He's way back in the nautiloid still where the fishermen were.

So I have to select him AGAIN all by himself and have him join us.

All throughout the Dank Crypt, Rendzer kept stopping and would not follow. I had to keep getting him to rejoin the group manually.

Then Rendzer died. Why? Because he followed me for once into the room with the stupid fireball traps and grease that springs up out of the floor plates. After I triggered the trap and ran for it, my Mage was clear and I turned off Turn-Based mode not realizing that Rendzer had followed even though I ungrouped everyone. Not only did he follow me into the chamber, but when I turned off Turn-Based Mode, he didn't even try to rejoin my Mage, who was clear of the chamber. He just hovered there by the sarcophagus and let the fireballs blow him to smithereens. RENDZER NO!!!!

Then, just because, I regrouped everyone with my Mage by the door, and they all ran dutifully behind my Mage INTO THE EXPLODING CHAMBER. Fortunately, I realized the error of my ways in time. Before the explosions caught anyone who'd just entered the chamber in a fiery death, I ran towards the other side - and fortunately, this time, they followed.

Sheesh! What a mess!

Larian! PLEASE make the next main thing you fix be the movement mechanics. You gotta fix the whole darn thing. It really is bad - not all the time, mind you, but it really really seems to be getting worse, not better, and again, especially when zoomed in.

veteran
veteran
I think it has gotten worse. In the grymforge if a low strength PC makes the jump onto the platform near the dormitories, the rest of the party will fall. If you aren't micromanaging the trail on the final boss battle your characters will walk into lava. Same goes for the mephit fight. I even had shadowheart miss that first infamous fire jump near the nautaloid crash. And, yeah, In that corridor before Shadowheart's pod I somehow walked into the mind flayer - cambion fight. Not getting better . . .

I'm serious about a root and branch reprogramming. Areas like grymforge are fun if you feel in control of your party but are slogs otherwise. With the chain system I never feel in control of my party.

I get that the games with good controls -- WotR and Solasta -- are unity engine games and this is the unreal engine but with the amount of talent that Larian has assembled they should be able to find *someone* able to replace some of the gears in this machine.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit
I think it has gotten worse. In the grymforge if a low strength PC makes the jump onto the platform near the dormitories, the rest of the party will fall. If you aren't micromanaging the trail on the final boss battle your characters will walk into lava. Same goes for the mephit fight. I even had shadowheart miss that first infamous fire jump near the nautaloid crash. And, yeah, In that corridor before Shadowheart's pod I somehow walked into the mind flayer - cambion fight. Not getting better . . .

I'm serious about a root and branch reprogramming. Areas like grymforge are fun if you feel in control of your party but are slogs otherwise. With the chain system I never feel in control of my party.

I get that the games with good controls -- WotR and Solasta -- are unity engine games and this is the unreal engine but with the amount of talent that Larian has assembled they should be able to find *someone* able to replace some of the gears in this machine.

I hate the jump mechanics. I can never tell if a jump is going to hurt my characters, or if a jump is needed or not unless it says, "Can't reach." Characters jump up 30+ feet into the air, etc.

My Drow Mage jumped down at a spot that looked like a maybe 5 foot drop. She lost HP. Why? I can scoot off the edge of a 5 foot drop and land just fine in real life, and I am NOT athletic.

I REALLY REALLY think they need movement mechanics that are more like Solasta. I click on a spot, and my character gets there in the most normal way possible. If they need to jump to get there, they jump - provided they can actually do it. If the jump requires a roll, the game tells me, "DC 10 Athletics Required". Something like that. And if the jump is up and its ridiculously high, they just can't do it. None of this Gale jumping up 15-30 feet business. Come o. Don't make jumps like that. Make the characters climb instead.

No jump button necessary (though available for some cases, like in combat, where you might need to jump over something as opposed to going around, like a box is in your way and it's less movement to jump over than go around). Example: You are at Grymforge. You need to jump from one platform to another. No jump button required. You select the platform you want to go to, and your character jumps across automatically. No button necessary. If a roll is required because it's a considerable distance, it says, "DC 10 Athletics." Boom. Now you know that it's a big jump and you could take damage. You need to drop down 15 feet? Select the spot you want to go to. Game makes you climb down instead of jump because that's a bit further of a distance. Or, if they think it shouldn't be able to be climbed, the game warns, "DC 10 Athletics." Hmmm. Now you know if you select that space you'll potentially get hurt.

And for the love of all that is holy, PLEASE make it so characters can move through other friendly characters. I got stuck AGAIN in the Dank Crypt trying to fight Mari and Barton and their mercenaries. Guy at the front entrance, Shadowheart won initiative and was stuck behind everyone else, so she couldn't move through them to get to a blank spot to attack. She had to use a Bonus Action to Jump to the free spot, as if she was jumping over their heads. Why? Just let them pass through friendly spaces. Don't make me waste a Bonus to move through someone. Astarion was the same. Instead of using 2 weapon fighting, I had to use a Bonus Action to Jump over everyone's heads so he could get to a free spot to attack the one guy they were all fighting.

And the climbing up and down thing is still happening. Happened to me twice. One time was outside the crypt. Climbed down the ladder, and Lae'zel, Astarion and Shadowheart climbed down and right back up again. At least they didn't jump down this time.

And in Patch 6, man, so many times people caught on fire from Grymforge or just died because of pathing issues. The last time I did the area where you go mine mithral and go to the little island near the elemental, I had to just leave everyone behind and only send my main. They were all dying because of exploding bubbles or just plain landing in the wrong spots and getting set on fire. It's not fun.

addict
addict
Still no lassso select??? i guess we need to use the chains in strategy games now because the system is that good... can't wait to see it in TW warhammer heh.Why is this system still a thing in any game.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
If Larian gets anything from the community at all out of EA/these forums it should be that the Chain/Autofollow system currently implemented makes for terrible gameplay and usablility and needs more work.

N
N
+1 for movement rework

addict
addict
Say no to the toilet chain!

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
J
stranger
stranger
J
+1 to go with a classic - going all the way back to Baldur's Gate for goodness sake! - movement style

addict
addict
Originally Posted by jfjohnny5
+1 to go with a classic - going all the way back to Baldur's Gate for goodness sake! - movement style
Maaaaaybe not all the way. Just a tiny bit.

Alt+ left click in the inventory on an item while the camp stash is opened transfers the item there. Make it a reality.
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Wrath of the Righteous/Pillars of Eternity 2 would be "far back in time" enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
J
stranger
stranger
J
Originally Posted by Tuco
Wrath of the Righteous/Pillars of Eternity 2 would be "far back in time" enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. Don't go allll the way back to the beginning. There are modern examples (those two in particular) of good design in this respect.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Oh, don't get me wrong, there's nothing particularly bad about the original two BG in terms of controls and UI, I just wanted to stress that there's absolutely no need to go back twenty years to find more virtuous examples of what Larian is doing so poorly.

veteran
veteran
Copying these up-to-date statistics over: highlighting mine. Thanks @Flooter
Originally Posted by Flooter
It's all there in Maximuuus' post. He's very diligent in explaining how he computes the figures.

If you paste the whole thread in Excel and start sifting through the data, you may find some slight mistakes in the post. That's not an enditement of Maximuuus's work, on the contrary. It's thorough and honest enough to let anyone see exactly what he did and how. Saying you flat out don't believe it kinda blows my mind.

For the record, here's what I found by checking the math. Feel free to check mine, so we may collectively approach the truth.

There's a typo in the number of accounts expressing dislike of the movement system (it's 127, not 147) which means only 181 seperate accounts had commented on that thread by the time of Max's post. By my count, this is correct. However, this is a little lucky because the post only lists 172 unique accounts. Notably, some accounts are listed twice while others are missing.

Names listed more than once, and how totals change when the duplicates are removed:
anfindel - 1 no opinion
blazerules -1 dislike
Charod -1 dislike
dunehunter (x4) -2 dislike, - 1 no opinion
KingNothing69 -1 dislike
sharp -1 no opinion
ulvgaar -1 no opinion

Unlisted names, and how totals change when they are added to the list
cleric of innuendo (mod) +1 no opinion
da michi +1 no opinion
Darkhain +1 dislike
DragonMaster69 +1 no opinion
Elessaria666 +1 dislike
GamerSerg +1 dislike
Pandemonica +1 dislike
Sadurian (mod) +1 no opinion
Zarna +1 dislike
For some reason, the errors cancel each other out. This means that the category totals are correct, typo notwithstanding. Because of that typo, the total number of accounts used to compute the percentages is off by 20. Here are the updated percentages:

RESULTS (out of 181 accounts)

- 127 (70%) of them give a feedback that you can't missunderstood : they don't like this system
- 6 (3.3%) said that they're pretty ok to deal with the system but they have issues with it
- 1 (0.6%) seems to like it, but honnestly it looks like a troll ("get good")
- 47 (26%) disccussed issues related to this system or give related feedbacks, suggestions etc...but didn't clearly wrote "I like it" or "I don't like it"

For good measure, here are the updated lists I used to come to this result.

WHO DON'T LIKE THIS SYSTEM (127)

00zim00
1varangian
AceVentura
Agi
Akari
AlanC9
Albi
andreasrylander
Anfindel
Argonaut
Arrowmaker
ash elemental
Athann
BadgerMan
Baldurs-Gate-Fan
Baraz
Black_Elk
blazerules
Bluthtonian
Bossk_Hogg
brosephhstalin
Bukke
cgexile
Charod
Claudio_420
clavis
Clawfoot
Dangerman33
Darkhain
DiDiDi
DistantStranger
Dogmatis
Dominemesis
Doomec
Doomlord
Drath Malorn
Druid_NPC
dunehunter
ElComunista
Elessaria666
Emrikol
etonbears
Etruscan
Firesnakearies
FrankHunter
Fuz77
Gaidax
GamerSerg
Gassygunslinger
Gothfather
Gray Ghost
Gustavo R
guy
Ianthebea
ImSuperCereal
JDCrenton
Jebble
Jimmhel
jinkaroo
joste89
Jun
Kal Spiro
kanisatha
KillerRabbit
KingNothing69
Lastman
lethe
LoneSky
Lunar Dante
Marcus Artorius
Martyn
MasterRoo09
Matey
Maximuuus
Minsc1122
mithril
Mogan
mr_planescapist
mrfuji3
Nagfar
nation
ngcwwolf
Nibel
Night_Mask
Pah
Pandemonica
Pantoufle
Peranor
PumatsHole
radioactive_lego
Ramshine
Redglyph
RKLimes
Roarro
RobinLefebvre
Saryle
Scribe
Sestuna
Sharet
Sharp
Sigi98
Sir Sparhawk
Skjoldur
spectralhunter
Suhiira
SymposiumX
The Ranger
theedge771
TheFoxWhisperer
Topgoon
Traycor
tsundokugames
Tuco
Turglayfopa
ulvgaar
UnknownEvil
VhexLambda
VincentNZ
vitfast
Vynticator
WarBaby2
Warlocke
Willyto
Wormerine
YelloB
Zarna

WHO IS +- OK WITH THE SYSTEM (6)
(meaning they "deal" with it, but don't necessary find it good or don't have any issues with it - pathfinding, QoL,...)
UnderworldHades
Dagless
DragonSnooz
Judex
Nyloth
Starsmith
UnderworldHades

WHO LIKE THE CHAIN (1)
Skin Overbone

WHO GAVE FEEDBACK OR DISCUSSED RELATED ISSUES WITHOUT GIVING STRONG POSITION (47)
(AI, stealth, group command, suggest something, auto jump, console.....)

alice_ashpool
Ankou
Boblawblah
Bufotenina
Buttery_Mess
CAGE
cleric of innuendo (mod)
Creslin321
daMichi
Dark_Ansem
Dexai
DragonMaster69
Ellynrie
Gabriel Farishta
Gnopi
Grantig
grysqrl
Iviene
Jermz238
jfutral
jonn
ldo58
LukasPrism
Meeshe
Newtinmpls
Ole Draco
OneManArmy
Praetox
Raflamir
Rhobar121
Riandor
robertthebard
RumRunner151
Sadurian (mod)
Seleniumcodec
someoneinatree
SpiritChaser
Stalkingwolf
Surface R
SwordSaintSilver
tangelo1023
TimVanBeek
UncleBoss
Veilburner
Vortex138
YT-Yangbang
Zellin

This doesn't take into account pages 30 to 42 of the thread, so let's look at those right now. Here's a list of all users who posted in that thread for the first time after Maximuuus had done his analysis, along with the category under which I place them.

Aaezil dislike
Anthraxid dislike
Archaven dislike
Blackheifer dislike
booboo dislike
Califax dislike
CJMPinger dislike
colinl8 dislike
crashdaddy dislike
daMichi dislike
Dr.serkan85 dislike
Duchess of Gorgombert (mod) no opinion
dukeisaac dislike
Dulany67 dislike
EvilVik dislike
fylimar dislike
gaymer dislike
GM4Him no opinion
Ivan_Ho dislike
JandK no problem
JeneralBen no problem
jfjohnny5 dislike
JiruoVX dislike
jmos dislike
JoB dislike
Kryldost like
Mikus dislike
mystakai dislike
Pupito dislike
RagnarokCzD like
Ranxerox dislike
RutgerF dislike
Saito Hikari dislike
Scales & Fangs dislike
schpas dislike
SerraSerra no problem
ShimmerUK dislike
Soul-Scar dislike
Tarorn no problem
Taylan dislike
Terminator2020 dislike
The Composer (mod) dislike
timebean no opinion
virion dislike
vometia (mod) no opinion
WebSpyder dislike
yetkopempo dislike
This comes out to 47 accounts, who break down as follows : 37 dislike, 2 like, 4 more or less fine, 4 no opinion.

This brings us to updated percentages:

RESULTS (Out of 181 + 47 = 228 accounts)

- 164 (72%) of them give a feedback that you can't missunderstood : they don't like this system
- 10 (4.4%) said that they're pretty ok to deal with the system but they have issues with it
- 3 (1.3%) seem to like it
- 51 (22%) disccussed issues related to this system or give related feedbacks, suggestions etc...but didn't clearly wrote "I like it" or "I don't like it"

You can have issues with the methodology, or how I classified accounts, or anything else. If you do, please point to specifics.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Thanks @Flooter
Is it wrong to feel this validated by a forum post? By the way Maximuuus took the time to read 29 pages of posts, which I certainly didn’t do, so most of the credit goes to him. Also, his categorization is probably more accurate than mine.

Here’s my grain of salt on the movement system. It used to smell like butts and cooties. Ladders used to drive the PCs mad, leading Wyll’s imp to destroy wooden ladders on occasion. Many, many other things were wrong with it, in and out of combat.

It’s gotten better, though it desperatly needs four things:
1. Group formations. I don’t care how eager Gale is to fight, he needs to park his ass at the back of the line, away from the sharp things.
2. The group sneak button needs to set everyone to hiding if at least one PC is not hiding, This stops the dance routines where pairs of PCs take turns crouching.
3. There needs to be a better way to select a portion of the party. Ungrouping then merging feels more like a hack than an UI choice.
4. Characters need to stand still unless I’m actually walking away. If it means they’re walking a few meters behind, all the better to keep Gale away from the metal bits.

I’d also like a preview of what I can reach with my movement during combat. The game sort of tells you, but it’s contextual and not entirely reliable.

Last edited by Flooter; 27/05/22 09:38 PM.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Flooter
It’s gotten better, though it desperatly needs four things:
1. Group formations. I don’t care how eager Gale is to fight, he needs to park his ass at the back of the line, away from the sharp things.
2. The group sneak button needs to set everyone to hiding if at least one PC is not hiding, This stops the dance routines where pairs of PCs take turns crouching.
3. There needs to be a better way to select a portion of the party. Ungrouping then merging feels more like a hack than an UI choice.
4. Characters need to stand still unless I’m actually walking away. If it means they’re walking a few meters behind, all the better to keep Gale away from the metal bits.

I’d also like a preview of what I can reach with my movement during combat. The game sort of tells you, but it’s contextual and not entirely reliable.
While I don't disagree with ANY of these observations, I hope it's clear to anyone reading this (and to you writing it) that these are all roundabouts ways to remark once again that, yeah, in the end to be actually comfortable it needs to be a typical CRPG "RTS-like" control scheme that allow multiple unit selection.
At least out of combat.

Once in combat it doesn't really make a significant difference, since the game is turn based and the control gets to a "one unit at the time" regardless.

Page 42 of 49 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard