Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
stranger
stranger
A
the more i read about rest the more i think perhaps spells should go on a "per encounter" like it is in pillars of eternity, i really dont see the point in having a per rest limit if rest can be used after every combat

or the entire rest system needs limitations

apprentice
apprentice
There is exhuastion mechanics in D&D - if you don't eat, drink, sleep when you need it

There is ambush events in D&D (again) - it's a good mechanic to punish player by Surprise rounds and bad tactic possitioning.

But most important, that Camp is somewhere, like "Pocket Dimension"... this is bad

And, this game needs day and night swapping.

It'd be interesting if time was an important element, and each short rest took 1 hour. If nearly every quest had an implicit time requirement, time would become part of the "action" economy, and while we -could- short rest whenever, it might be impossible if we needed to rescue someone by the end of the day or remove a tadpole by the end of three days, for example. Then long rests could only happen once per day - and maybe 8 hours would pass per long rest regardless of when it began, night or day.

The game would have to be designed from the beginning incorporating time as an element of the economy. Wishful thinking. Fun how it is, though.

I think 3 short rests is worth testing. One long rest per long play period.

Originally Posted by The Drow Warlock
It'd be interesting if time was an important element, and each short rest took 1 hour. If nearly every quest had an implicit time requirement, time would become part of the "action" economy, and while we -could- short rest whenever, it might be impossible if we needed to rescue someone by the end of the day or remove a tadpole by the end of three days, for example. Then long rests could only happen once per day - and maybe 8 hours would pass per long rest regardless of when it began, night or day.

The game would have to be designed from the beginning incorporating time as an element of the economy. Wishful thinking. Fun how it is, though.

I think 3 short rests is worth testing. One long rest per long play period.

I'm not a big fan of quests with time requirements, especially if they're not explicit. Sometimes they make sense, but not for every quest. 3 short rests does sound good though, it should be upped.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Ricardanilevs
There is exhuastion mechanics in D&D - if you don't eat, drink, sleep when you need it

There is ambush events in D&D (again) - it's a good mechanic to punish player by Surprise rounds and bad tactic possitioning.

But most important, that Camp is somewhere, like "Pocket Dimension"... this is bad

And, this game needs day and night swapping.

I was really surprised to see how the camp was handle in this game. It should have at least a mechanic with resources behind it. "The pocket Dimension system is not immersive at all at the moment and should have some adjustment.

Maybe it could also have a system which impact your relation with the others characters if you rest toi much.

I'm not for Time requirement because it put some unnecessary stress on the player, and will be hard to equilibrate.

Last edited by Diemove; 11/10/20 05:15 PM.
addict
addict
DOS 1 and 2 use a logic where there is no time system as such, but there are action triggers.
Hence also why there is no pause button needed.

Example : you meet a fellow on the road who is poisoned... You could stand there for hours, without consequence, but if you leave 30 seconds, the game considers that you chose to let the fellow die there.

I agree a compromise or trick should be found in BG3, which could also be action-triggered.

Examples :
* characters could gain an "exertion point" every time they hit 0 HP (ie. not necessarily a Fatigue Level as defined in the TTRPG) ;
* a character could gain a Fatigue Level when they have done x number of attacks (i.e. a big number, like 100 attacks) ;
* doing a Short Rest is about 1 hour : so after a few Short Rests, your characters would gain an "exertion point" or Fatigue Level ;
* Long Rest is 8 hours, which is the trigger currently for the day/night cycles (though Larian has not implemented any limit in terms of days it would seem).

A real timer between Long Rests is not great for many reasons, but there needs to be a limit or consequence. It could be that you need a few "exertion points" before being allowed to do another Long Rest. By the way, exertion points do not exist: it is just something I am inventing here, that characters would gain after doing *a lot* of attacks and checks. The Long Rest needs to be possible in case a party gets crushed, so again not simple.

I do support there must be a limit to how many Long Rests you can do and it must be explicit (visible and clear).

it is really tricky though and hard to find the fine line where not too many people would be annoyed by the system.

Last edited by Baraz; 11/10/20 05:34 PM.
D
old hand
old hand
D
I font feel a 'per encounter' thing is justified. Cadters have limited uses of their spell slots per rest. Wizards even have an ability to regain some as part of their class.

Thr narrative does say its a race against timr though so I do yhink using long rest to much should be really discouraged.

stranger
stranger
Per encounter??? Hell no. Per encounter powers/spells are so D&D4e. Thank god this edition is no more.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I absolutely agree. There shouldn't be any limit on short rests as long as you are out of combat and in a safe area, some chance of being found and attacked if you are resting in an area with enemies nearby would be good to handle the short rest in the middle of a dungeon situation. But allowing the player to select short rest and give them the chance to choose how many hit dice to roll to recover hit points during that short rest and track how many hit dice are being rolled would be ideal as opposed to limiting short rests to 1 or any other number.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Just got BG3, been playing several hours and wanted to know what the penalty was for Long Rests. (There must be one, right?!) Google found this forum post and I was disappointed to see there appears to be none, and then I got interested at the discussion that followed in the thread...

I'm in complete agreement that there needs to be some consequence to being able to refresh all abilities and get a full heal. It cheapens the whole experience without it. But I get why there's an argument as to what is too little or too much.

Been playing a lot of CRPGs recently - 200 hours into Pathfinder Kingmaker, 80 into PoE 1. First time I've really invested in CRPGs since the good old days of BG1 and the like. (And loving it btw!)

Can't use any Kingmaker ideas. The whole game is based on Time as a resource - I love it for that, but no system from there would work in BG3 without real time progression in game - and I don't think that's what Larian are going for.

PoE simply uses a Gold cost, and I think that would work here. Either through buying/finding rations (and being able to carry a limited number of them), or simply a straight GP cost. It doesn't need to be much, from what I see of the in-game economy, maybe 25GP. It would certainly stop the spamming of Long Rest after every battle, but wouldn't be harsh enough to stop you resting when you need to.

25GP per then. What do people think?

R
old hand
old hand
R
I can see that the discussion about rest is back again.
Instead of wondering how rest affects the mechanics of the game, you should think about how the mechanics, concept or required simplifications affect rest.
For now, let's skip the impact on the balance or compliance with the rules of D&D.
How do you "fix" the rest?

The simplest solution would be to introduce "currency" used during rest.
However, this approach has several fundamental problems.
1) It cannot be severely limited otherwise it may completely block the player from further progress.
2) Requires a good balance. If you add too little, the player will not be able to do anything at some point, but if you add too much, it will not matter at all.

The solution of this problem would be to make the currency available to traders. This type of solution would of course only make sense when the player can only have a limited amount with him.
However, such a solution would require that the player is somehow protected from himself. Currently, in the game, the player can kill all traders.
It is a system present in PoE 1 and in my opinion it has more disadvantages than advantages and has therefore been removed in POE 2.
The system was so bad that it required the player to backtrack (sometimes several times).
The system itself will not work in BG3 due to the presence of fast travel, which allows you to always return to the trader for more. The only thing that can be achieved in this way is to irritate the player more and waste more of his time.

Another option would be to "cooldown" to rest.
There is no time lapse in the game, so this would require a hard limit like you can rest once every 10 minutes.
Unfortunately, this encourages the player to minimize the game instead of playing.
Another way would be to create a counter that would be the number of fights, conversations or quests.
However, this solution is only suitable for a fully linear game.

A good solution would be to limit the resting places, which would work if there were no fast travel in the game.
At present where the fast travel places are so close to each other, so it really doesn't solve any problem and will only extend the time needed to rest by 2 minutes

In my opinion, the only sensible improvement to the rest system would be to turn it off if there are enemies nearby.
This is a system that has worked successfully in older D&D games. Even in the old Baldur's Gate, you could rest almost anywhere.

Last edited by Rhobar121; 07/03/21 02:25 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard