Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#680326 08/10/20 05:06 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
The fact that the grease spell icon is a pig is pretty disturbing - given that it seems to suggest that the grease is made of pig fat. It’s a small thing, but I don’t like the morbidity of it, and it also doesn’t really make sense given the grease’s magical origin. It’s unlikely to bother most people, but it’s a reminder of animal cruelty that I find a bit unpleasant. Maybe the icon could just be a classic splodge shape?

apprentice
apprentice
The pig icon is a throwback to Black Isle's Infinity Engine Dungeons and Dragons games - Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2 and Planescape: Torment.
The spell icon in those was our little piggy!

Originally Posted by Veylandemar
The pig icon is a throwback to Black Isle's Infinity Engine Dungeons and Dragons games - Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2 and Planescape: Torment.
The spell icon in those was our little piggy!

I didn't know that. Thank you. Also, there is a tradition of coating a pig in grease and letting it loose at some event, where it runs about causing havoc and is very difficult to catch. A greased pig.

apprentice
apprentice
greased pig games were huge in the "era" bg3 is set in. also throwback to original dnd games

journeyman
journeyman
aside clear bg1&2 references,i think pig skin is more likely about pig being, you know, pigs. Fat, like very fat, like grease!

Link Copied to Clipboard