Next Thread
Print Thread
#681242 08/10/20 02:52 PM
SamHam Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi there!
I bought the game, being the baldur's gate fan that I am, fully knowing that it was turn based combat. I'll admit, I never touch a game with turn based combat, but after waiting for 20 years I won't let that stand in the way. The game is in alpha, so the janky AI although grating, I believe will get improved. Pillars of Eternity 2 and Pathfinder:Kingmaker both started out with real time combat and got turn based combat patched in after a while, probably to attract more people to their games. So my question is: will you be patching in real time combat down the road? I get that you might not like RTC, but please do this franchise justice and cater to both camps, or you'll have a lot of people throwing giant space hamsters at your eyes and others berating us like the simians we are, prone to indulge in less syllable-intensive workout smile

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by SamHam
So my question is: will you be patching in real time combat down the road?

No.
They've confirmed on multiple occasions that Real-Time Combat will not be a thing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Noraver
So my question is: will you be patching in real time combat down the road?

No.
They've confirmed on multiple occasions that Real-Time Combat will not be a thing.

True... to be fair, it is a bit easier to implement turn-based combat if you already have realtime with pause in place, then the other way around. Also, as other people have stated: D&D combat IS, in fact turn-based and always has been... still not sure I like it being implemented like that, though.

apprentice
apprentice
RTC doesn't really work with 5th edition. Currently they don't have the reactions other than melee reactions. They are missing spell reactions which is a huge interrupt for RTC. Imagine playing magic the gathering real time. As fast as you can play it happens, it would be utter chaos on the stack reaction mechanic.

Shield spell reaction ( After roll but before hit)
Absorb Elements reaction. (after damage rolled, but decide before applied)
Dissident Whispers Reaction (opponent must reaction to flee which enables character reaction)
War Caster reactions (Combat spell reaction rather than melee)
Bard cutting words reaction (someone rolls well, bard reduces the roll) How is that even possible real time if the bard cannot see and decide before damage applied.

Counter spell reaction which causes another counter spell reaction, which causes another counter spell reaction. This is probably the most interrupt of interrupt mechanic in D&D. You cannot do that real time.

Last edited by Kimo; 08/10/20 03:07 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kimo
RTC doesn't really work with 5th edition. Currently they don't have the reactions other than melee reactions. They are missing spell reactions which is a huge interrupt for RTC. Imagine playing magic the gathering real time. As fast as you can play it happens, it would be utter chaos on the stack reaction mechanic.

Shield spell reaction ( After roll but before hit)
Absorb Elements reaction. (after damage rolled, but decide before applied)
Dissident Whispers Reaction (opponent must reaction to flee which enables character reaction)
War Caster reactions (Combat spell reaction rather than melee)
Bard cutting words reaction (someone rolls well, bard reduces the roll) How is that even possible real time if the bard cannot see and decide before damage applied.

True, and there will be more reactions for sure, or why have a whole tab/system of autmization dedicated to them?

SamHam Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, then sad face, as I would like to have a choice how to play the game. And don't forget that programming is as close we get to magic these days, so I'd say nothing is impossible, unless you're dead set in your tracks. I sure hope the story makes up for the combat, then (and secretly hope they do add RTC some day, which will be difficult since it's not incorporated into the planning early on).

Last edited by SamHam; 08/10/20 03:31 PM.
W
veteran
veteran
W
Well, then sad face, as I would like to have a choice how to play the game. And don't forget that programming is as close we get to magic these days, so I'd say nothing is impossible, unless you're dead set in your tracks. I sure hope the story makes up for the combat, then (and secretly hope they do add RTC some day, which will be difficult since it's not incorporated into the planning early on).

Programming isn’t the problem. Design is. Going from Turn Based to Real Time with Pause would require extensively redesigning the entire game. Nobody will do that.

SamHam Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Strangely enough other games have RTC, albeit with some obscure rules not implemented and still work exceptionally well. All the same, thanks for answering my question regarding a possible implementation of real time combat. Seems dousing myself in really thick patience will have to do the trick butt kicking for goodness wise.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
It makes a huge difference what combat system you base the game on. Some things in 5e just wouldnt work in real time.

Link Copied to Clipboard