Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mahe4 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
First of all, i really like the companions and their motives and backgrounds so far.
Second, i don't think, that companion builds need to be optimized.

But Shadowheart has one big issue.
She is a Trickster Cleric, which doesn't get heavy armor proficieny, and she has no dexterity to speak of.
So there is no way to give her good AC, unless you get armor proficiency with a feat.

Simple solution would be to give her either 14 dex or heavy armor proficiency. Neither would be extraordinary. For example, wyll is a warlock with proficiency in rapiers, and warlocks can't use rapiers without special training.
since she doesn't have any proficiencies in dex skills, i would just give her heavy armor prof.
trickster cleric already is one of the weaker dnd5e subclasses. heavy armor wouldn't break that at all.

veteran
veteran
That's a pretty fair point.

Interesting your mention of Wyll. Hexblades aren't in the game, or even PHB, but they do get proficiency with Martial weapons, so maybe the intent is to eventually make Wyll a Hexblade.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Why they purposefully screwed her stats like this is beyond me.

M
mahe4 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
another possible fix would be to switch str and dex stats and give her proficiency with short swords. that would fit the trickster theme better.

I
stranger
stranger
I
This is the first thing I noticed when finding Shadowheart. I was looking for someone to tank, but my wizard with mage armor has higher AC than her...

She's pretty bad, unless it's for some plot purpose. Perhaps multiclassing her with fighter will make her better? As it stands, it seems she's the ideal one to dump and just run a cleric yourself.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
She one time say to another companion that if she wanted to kill them they will never see her coming. lol, and I was like, yeah right with your dex 9?!

addict
addict
She's fine. Is she min-maxed? No. But ater the learning curve, she's doing great.

addict
addict
I do feel that with her trickster domain, including her buff to stealth, that she should have at least 12 in Dex to fit her concept.

She could use a little tweaking just to be closer to her concept and role-play, in my opinion of course.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I wonder if part of the issue is not everything is in yet?

Wyll is called the Blade of the Frontier and I bet you he was suppose to be a Hexblade.

Maybe Shadowheart suppose to be a different domain that not in yet?

K
stranger
stranger
K

Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

Wyll is called the Blade of the Frontier and I bet you he was suppose to be a Hexblade.

No, pretty sure he was meant for fiend, considering that he sold his soul to a devil to become famous. Thats definitely a Fiend patron. I see Shadowheart's trickery domain to be as intended as well seeing as who her deity is.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kallen420

Originally Posted by Merry Mayhem

No, pretty sure he was meant for fiend, considering that he sold his soul to a devil to become famous. Thats definitely a Fiend patron. I see Shadowheart's trickery domain to be as intended as well seeing as who her deity is.

Right, my mistake, I mean Pact of the Blade, Hexblade is a patron.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by mahe4
But Shadowheart has one big issue.
She is a Trickster Cleric, which doesn't get heavy armor proficieny, and she has no dexterity to speak of.
So there is no way to give her good AC, unless you get armor proficiency with a feat.

Simple solution would be to give her either 14 dex or heavy armor proficiency. Neither would be extraordinary. For example, wyll is a warlock with proficiency in rapiers, and warlocks can't use rapiers without special training.
since she doesn't have any proficiencies in dex skills, i would just give her heavy armor prof.
trickster cleric already is one of the weaker dnd5e subclasses. heavy armor wouldn't break that at all.

Agreed.

stranger
stranger
They may be simply intended her to focus on spell casting.

journeyman
journeyman
trickery and death are the two domains the adventurers guide to the sword coast reccomends for shar so.. trickery is likely in fact intended and I doubt there's another domain waiting for her.
Originally Posted by Ectar93

Clerics are hard to build with 27 PB they need a decent wisdom, a decent cha, a decent str, will want a decent Con as you want them to not have a glass jaw losing heavy armor after third edition made things kinda rough. honestly, the easiest solution to this and other issues might be to increase the points buy to 32 and adjust companion stats accordingly

Shadowheart's hair is great, but her wardrobe needs a little attention. Her armour, if you look at her from the rear, as I often do, makes her look "big-assed". If the armour could be slightly tapered by her dress-maker, it would make her look less wide-arsed.

What I have noticed is that, despite her being a cleric and in armour, she absorbs quite a large amount of damage from attacks, too much for my liking.

journeyman
journeyman
As for ability i'm fine with the fact that the characters have weaknesses, in original BG character design was the same, when they add Feats you can fix most of this. As for the skills they they need return PHB Half-elf with 2skills prof and fix her background issue(Urchin 9dex really?) - because right now seem her skills do not reflect her personality.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
trickery and death are the two domains the adventurers guide to the sword coast reccomends for shar so.. trickery is likely in fact intended and I doubt there's another domain waiting for her.

Clerics are hard to build with 27 PB they need a decent wisdom, a decent cha, a decent str, will want a decent Con as you want them to not have a glass jaw losing heavy armor after third edition made things kinda rough. honestly, the easiest solution to this and other issues might be to increase the points buy to 32 and adjust companion stats accordingly

They don't need charisma at all. I would prefer them switching her charisma and dexterity around. It even suits her personality better - she does NOT have 14 charisma wink

M
mahe4 Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by BrianDavion

clerics need wisdom to cast their spells.
they maybe need str or dex, if you want them in the front lines.
and they maybe need con, for better concentration.

str, dex and con are more needed, if you want your cleric in the front lines.
since all trickster specific abilities are meant for front line battle, they need those.
at least 14 dex, to be good with medium armor.

i have no idea, where you get that cha requirement from...

as it is, her character doesn't fit the build. she acts like the sneaky type. she is pretty unlikable/distant. that doesn't match her stats at all. i have no idea, why her stats are the way they are.

stranger
stranger
Just want to agree. To those saying she doesn't have to be min-maxed; agreed. Nobody is expecting 16 WIS, 16 DEX, 14 CON or whatever. I am already very appreciative of the fact that all the caster companions have 16 in their casting stat. But if she's going to use medium armor can she at least have 10 or 12 DEX? A negative modifier on AC is very painful. And given how trickery cleric has abilities to enhance sneaking, the fact that she's STR instead of DEX doesn't make sense on multiple levels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard