Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#681716 08/10/20 06:20 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've noticed w/ the replays I've done, that the player damage RNG is extremely worse than the NPCs (computer mobs). This is only in combat and not anywhere else.

Magic Missile (1d4+1 x 3) does a total of 6 pts w/ all 3 - each time!
Weapon dmg is 1 pt + STR modifier - each time!
This is regardless of the type of character I create / play (as well as our companions).

Damage back to my characters is normal (to a little high) RNG. Getting off the ship usually takes me 5-10 reloads due to deaths. Imps do 4+ each time they hit (though hit is still RNG).

I've spoken w/ a few friends who are also seeing the same thing. I see in the forums people saying combat isn't hard enough... well congrats to them, but the combat situations aren't difficult but the game backend mechanics are having issues!

stranger
stranger
Interesting. I haven't had any issues getting off the ship, and I'm well into the game now. I will say enemies seem to hit a lot more and since they were generally 2x or 3x the amount of enemies per player.....the damage they do is dangerous.

stranger
stranger
While I agree the damage enemies do to you can be devastating, are you sure it's your rng that is deciding your damage? After all, the imps are resistant to non-magical physical damage types, along with cold and fire damage.

I don't pick mean dialogue options because the characters might feel bad, and that makes ME feel bad.
stranger
stranger
Examine the enemies and check their stats. Many creature are high in 1 stat (usually their damaging stat) so they get a higher to hit and damage modifier.
Something like an Ogre will have high strength to resist shove and do big damage, but low int and wis to allow easier crowd control/spell damage from you.
Also check damage resist/vulnerability. Something armored will be resistant to pierce/slash damage and weak to blunt.

stranger
stranger
Combat is definitely not hard. But I am getting tired of missing 85% shots and rolling 1 with 1d12. Not just once or twice but 5 times in a row. I am not sure if the game mechanics are to be blamed but it is certainly frustrating.

Last edited by cmurat; 08/10/20 09:10 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I appreciate the damage resistance of the enemies; but what I'm finding w/ 80% of the characters & classes I've done (all of them now) is that it is a more the norm for the player controlled characters to get much lower dmg roll per attack; even before the creature's resistance comes in. Again, getting 6 points total w/ 3 magic missles (1d4+1 each) has happened more than 60% of the time and I've never done a max damage (5pts) w/ any MM attack (or really any other attack outside of a Crit).

Now that I know - I can play the game accordingly - but hopefully this gets worked in the future, as you should be able to score hits of all dmg ranges (not just the very low end as the norm).

stranger
stranger
Through three play sessions, magic missiles, first and second level castings, I've seen the full range of damages including 2 and 5 for each missile (3 or 4 missiles). Save, cast, reload, cast again, different damages appear again through the whole range. Not sure if what you are seeing is a bug or just the fact that RNGeezus is a harsh mistress.

Link Copied to Clipboard