Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hi everyone,

So far, apart from crashes now and then which are to be expected, the game feels okay, very Larian-y.

A couple quality of life issues: when looting, the default position of the loot box is in the center of the screen, which I think is a bit unfortunate, and it's always the same size even if it's empty. Also if you're looting, say, a druid's library, the loot boxes tend to stack instead of disapearing once they've been looted or after you click another shelf, and you have to close individually every single one after you're done. Not the worst of the worst, sure, but not the best either.

As for the issue of ability location, what I mean by that is that when Astarion leveled up to 2 and got his "rush" as a bonus action, it became an ability of its own (which then appeared in the bottom right part of the UI) instead of replacing the already existing icon where all the standard physical skills are (bottom left). It caused a bit of confusion on my part.

Lastly, I have weird numbers appearing on my screen when I use objects to cause damage. Red numbers and white numbers, and I have not the remotest idea of what they are supposed to mean. It feels like I just did a bazilion damage to the ennemy, but they only lost 1 hp... So I'm confused.

That will be all for me.

P.S. : oops, almost forgot. As a suggestion, I think it would be nice to have the option of seeing the dice roll on attacks, checks and saves. I really like the little hexagonal shape that pops above the characters when they do a passive check/save, and I think it'd be cool to be able to choose how often we get to see that.

Last edited by Corren; 08/10/20 08:48 PM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Addendum: The druids apparently don't mind that you enter their grove by the "back" entrance, without their knowledge or consent.

Cut scenes get triggered if you enter an area while stealthed and unseen. And you can thus join the conversation as if nothing happened.

EDIT: suggestion: there probably should be an alert of some kind if, while moving, you move the camera away from your group and a member starts a passive check.

Last edited by Corren; 08/10/20 08:50 PM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
In the village invaded by goblins, near the Owlbear cave, a problem occured after the fight started, where my party was in a house and goblins on the roof of that house. They could shoot me through the roof, but I couldn't aim at them the same way. The roof being invisible and impossible to zoom in or out on, I was unable to determine whether there was a hole in the roof or it was simply a bug.

Also, after casting the spell "mirror image" and then taking a rest (at which point the spell isn't active anymore), the cleric is constantly followed by three shields around her, as if the spell was still active.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
NPCS that the player puts "KO" ( end the fight without killiing them), shouldn't try to fight you with 1hp every time they wake up and you are in the same area. Especially after you've taken their weapons and armor.

Also: Characters that are to be protected (especially those you don't have quest with/for yet, like the star gazer with the weird trinket on her) die at the speed of light. In one turn, a lot of the time in one attack. And they can't be resurrected (for some reason). It sucks.

Blood. Too much blood, blood everywhere, all the time.

Last edited by Corren; 09/10/20 02:14 PM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
When a TPK occurs (very often, too often?), loading last saves regularly causes the game to crash.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Suggestion: Might be nice, when the player triggers a trap or any such occurence, for the game to immediately go into the Turn-based slow-mo mode showing the characters trying to react/avoid whatever is there.

I'm thinking of course about the trap triggered by the strange, talking mirror inside the cave in the destroyed village that being pillaged by the gobelins.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
The dialog when picking up (or trying to) the volume "Necromancy of Thay" is VERY bugged. It gets me stuck everytime, and I have to reload the game.

EDIT: very, VERY bugged. Killing the character that's stuck doesn't force them out of the dialog.

EDIT 2: I tried to load last save... Aaaaaaaand that's a crash.

Last edited by Corren; 10/10/20 08:48 AM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Suggestion: These dice rolls with a target of "1" are just not nice. They cheapen the roll, and make it feel like the game is handing you a result. If it's an automatic success needed for the purpose of the story, players can accept it for what it is. There is no use for pretending anything else is at stake.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Bug: Concentration spells seem to remain active (at least they are displayed as such on character portrait) regardless of time and distance with where the spell was originally cast.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
The mini quest which has you saving people from a burning building that was attacked by drows and gobelins is bugged: failing to find a lever to save the man under the rubble seems to cause him to faint, but as soon as you walk down the stairs and break the door open, he both comes back to his senses AND magically teleport away from the rubble. A shame he then is stuck frantically ordering you to find an exit. Which you do. Multiple times. Only to watch him never follow you.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I can't seem to load a past save without the game crashing.

The difficulty is insane so far. I get TPK-ed every 30 minutes.

Last edited by Corren; 10/10/20 02:36 PM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Gift of Yeenoghu (passive of the blue mace found on a gnoll possessed by a tadpole) is broken: any harmful effect, be it an attack or a spell, triggers the healing effect of the weapon.

Halsin is broken: he can't cast his spells and can only use his melee.
Also, when the animal form of a druid dies (so here: when the bear dies), the druid doesn't die as of D&D 5E ruleset. They instead lose their form and any leftover damage goes over to their human form.

Another thing: I just summoned the frog (wizard animal companion), and used its jump ability. The frog has 1 hit point, and died upon landing after jumping to its max range. So, yeah.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
The most consistent thing in almost 50 hours of gameplay is how utterly incomprehensible combat order is.

Sometimes all my characters play in a row. Sometimes I am bombarded by the entire ennemy team before I can play. Sometimes I'll go through two rounds beforeI realize two of my characters are not even taking their turn during combat. I never know why. There is so little clarity, half the time it costs me a reload, or to burn through resources like potions like there's no tomorrow to get back in good enough shape that I can hope to win.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Layer of the hag is very bugged. Encounter didn't trigger in the final phase, after fighting the four possessed masked slaves and jumping down the platforms covered in poison.

Also, regarding objects like the potions you find in the hag's layer after the final fight: it would be nice to be able to trigger ability checks such as investigation/perception...

So far, a frustration I have is that checks are always triggered automatically, but the player can never choose to make one. It would be nice to have the possibility at least to use "investigation", "arcana" and "medecine" or "survival" to explore and get hints and clues about the environment.

Typically, the pour souls trapped in the hag's layer (terrified elf, petrified dawrf, beheaded body with hands in its harm, mysterious soul trapped in a mirror) could be investigated using different skills to determine:
A: whether or not they can be saved
B: depending on how high the result on the dice is, how to save them is it can be done

I understand this would probably require the devs to work for a couple decades more on the game if applied to every maze/mystery/enigma in the game but... might as well mention it, you never know laugh

Last edited by Corren; 13/10/20 09:42 AM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Corren
The most consistent thing in almost 50 hours of gameplay is how utterly incomprehensible combat order is.

Sometimes all my characters play in a row. Sometimes I am bombarded by the entire ennemy team before I can play. Sometimes I'll go through two rounds beforeI realize two of my characters are not even taking their turn during combat. I never know why. There is so little clarity, half the time it costs me a reload, or to burn through resources like potions like there's no tomorrow to get back in good enough shape that I can hope to win.

I just understood (call me slow) that in some cases my characters play on the same initiative. In those cases, skipping the turn of one will skip the turn of ALL OF THEM AT ONCE. It messed me up pretty badly on several occasions, not gonna lie.

Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Short rest is underwhelming.
Taking a short rest takes time. Depending on the DM/party, it can take 15 minutes up to an entire day. The 5E rule is 1 hour, I believe. In any case, in the game right now it's basically a free heal that is instant, and I must say it's kind of cheap?

I think it'd be fun (especially for those who like to role play) to have breaks in the gameplay to maybe talk with our companions (outside of long rests). For example: when I found the eye of Wyll (not gonna say where :p), it'd have been fun to be able to talk to him during a short rest.

Adding to that difference "short rest/long rest": as of right now, there isn't ever a need for anyone to patrol at night when everyone's resting during long rests. It could be a great way for players to choose which character gets to intereact with what other character, and form different relationships that way. Dialogs would then become a matter of who I'm staying awake with tonight. Maybe too good a relationship make them distracted and gives disadvantage on the perception check, maybe too bad a relationship causes the same thing to happen.

OR (other idea)
Maybe the perception check required to avoid an attack while resting could be changed from long to short rest. If you rest in an area where there are ennemies, you must remain vigilant unless you get spotted and attacked?

I want to add that clarity of what resets and what doesn't during a short rest can be hard to track. In a game of D&D, we only have one character, and that's already hard enough. Tracking four at once is too much. Maybe having a screen/tooltip summing up what gets reset and when for each character somewhere would be nice.

Last edited by Corren; 13/10/20 11:57 AM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
The spells that give advantage on checks/saves/attacks... There is a big problem with them.

First: anyone who doesn't play D&D won't know the difference.That needs to be much more obvious. Once I'm under the effect of such a spell/ability, I should have a sign. Something that reminds me "hey, remember that cool effect you're trying to use?"

Second: What does advantage mean? I gotta say even knowing what advantage is in D&D, the lack of visual queue that my advantage is playing in my favor is a bummer, and I haven't been using these abilities as much as I would in an actual game of D&D

Last edited by Corren; 13/10/20 01:30 PM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
This post made me remember something.

The "aid" action. My two cents.

It's just too powerful a tool. I honestly think it shouldn't be possible for a character without the medicine skill to raise a dropped ally. Furthermore, I really feel like the "aid" action should be as per D&D 5E rule, which is to give advantage to another character to do something.

Select the "aid" action, click on the character you want to aid and next time, provided the "aiding" character has enough movement, they will move with their ally and both try to shove a huge ennemy down the rock and into that bottomless pit.

I humbly believe it would encourage players to think creatively, to use their characters not as each being an entity but as a unit that can achieve greater things when they help each other. I think that would be neat laugh

Last edited by Corren; 13/10/20 05:58 PM.
Corren Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I want to add that the group control is good for like, 80% of the time.

But as soon as you come across an obstacle to jump, an area where you want to sneak, or if you simply want one character to leave the group, it becomes clunky as hell.

3/4 of the time, when I want to drag a portrait to separate a party member from the group, it doesn't work, and I have to try it 2/3 times before it actually does. Same thing to "regroup". If I'm sneaking and I forget just one guy, or I go too fast and it doesn't work, my entire party gets busted.

In short: when there's nothing to do, all is good. As a mechanic, though? It's just plain bad. Just bad.

Link Copied to Clipboard