Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#682055 08/10/20 08:56 PM
TWrecks Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Quick about me: Played years of tabletop 2 / 3-3.5 / 5E DnD with 3 years of weekly 5e sessions. Also have played through most DnD related video game - Gold Box, BGate 1&2, KOTOR 1&2, Icwind Dale, Planescape, PoE (and yes Divinity). I own all the official WotC 5th Edition books / adventures in hardcopy and digital formats and have over the last few years poured over all the popular class / subclass / spell guides. Anyways, I'll keep updating this (about 20 hrs in so far)

Party Size

I get it 5e and it's CR rating is balanced around 4 players. That being said sometimesjavascript: void(0) you're facing more characters than you would normaly in a tabletop game and the maps are sometimes big. There's also relationships, skills, and storylines. I think a 5 or 6 character party size would be more interesting and fun at the same time.

Rest / Short Rest System

You only get 1 short rest between long rests? I think 5e is balance at 3 short rests per long rest? Maybe consider some type of quick long rest option in certain situations as it can break gameplay immersion to always go back to camp and then come back to where you were... Is tiny hut going to be in the game? Maybe a skill check to set up a safe camp where you are could pair nicely with the camp system you guys have.

Spells

I know it's early acces but I'm hoping there's a play to expand what spells are available. A wizard without the Shield / Suggestion / Chromatic Orb spell doesn't feel like a Wizard and a Cleric without Toll the Dead / Spiritual Weapon doesn't feel like a Cleric or a Warloc without access to Booming Blade... Not to mention those are some of the best low level spells. I do like the utility that's been added to cantrips (although is there a net sum loss on Firebolt damage if it crits with the in game version?). Also, it looks like spells like Tasha's Hideos Laughter have been locked behind class restrictions that aren't part of 5e (Warlock get's it but not Wizard?). Also, ritual spells? Wizards can't learn spells from scrolls?

Feats

You guys get some of the most popular Feats in here? Actor / Alert / Toughness / Elven Accuracy / Magic Initiate / Shield Master / Great Weapon Master / Lucky / Polearm Mastery / Sentinel / Resilient / Warcaster

Bonus Actions / Actions

The Dodge action needs to be added especially with the small party size. You front line gets mobbed and it would be better to give all attackers disadvantage against their attacks.

Races

Variant Human / Half Elves (base not the specific types you've added) / Winged Variant Tieflings / Satyr / Yuan-ti / Dwarves that can wear heavy armor without STR penalties / Bugbears with reach... Some of the best races 5e offers aren't in the game and the min maxer in me is dissapointed. Hope to see them added!

Classes

No Artificer? I get that it might not fit this world but I was looking forward to playing this in video game form... Maybe DLC

Subclasses

Overall fairly happy with the list, BUT...

Bard - Consider Eloquence which is now probably the best Bard subclass or tied w/ Lore (amazing use of Bardic Inspiration) or Glamour which can reshape the battlefield w/ it's bonus action
Cleric - Needs Tempest 100% although it looks from your list it will be added!
Fighter - Echo Knight would be amazing to play in video game form
Paladin - Needs it's best subclasses although second best is in (Ancients) and that is the Conqueror Paladin. How this isn't on your list to pair with all the evil companions in game boggles the mind. A walking wall of fear...
Ranger - Consider Gloom Stalker
Rogue - Swashbuckler - super popular at gaming tables and one of the best subclasses for Rogue
Sorcerer - Needs Divine Soul - gives access to Cleric spell list and opens up party builds. Also, one of it's best subclasses.
Warlock - You need Hexblades. Opens up multi class builds and is one of the best subclasses for Warlocks.
Wizard - Chronurgist and Divination Wizards are top tier Subclasses - let you mess with save rolls on your key crowd control spells (which is Wizards strongest playstyle). PLEASE!

Inventory Weight

Consider removing money weight or tossing in a Bag of Holding (I mean Artificers get it at lvl2)

Camera / Map

Clicking on mini map or map should take your camera to that location

Action Economy

Your parties spell slots, actions, crowd control, and size are having issues keeping up against the action economy of the large groups of enemies. Against hordes and large maps - AOE is less effective due to all the in game height variance and how spread out the enemies are. Spells like Sleep don't even last the full 10 rounds. Being outnumbered 2-4 times makes means casters don't have enough spell slots as well, makes enemy CC much more effective vs your own CC due to the number of enemies that get to take advantage of the CC. Tuning needs to be done in this area... Personally I'm also finding combat takes too long. This also illustrates the fact that healing is pretty meh in 5e.

Backgrounds

5e has a solid custom baground ruleset that would work great in this game

Bugs

Is Sculpt Spell working for Evocation wizards atm?
Rogues Sneak Attack dice aren't leveling up?
Some spells and abilities that last the day disappear sometimes?
Spacebar / End turn sometimes doesn't work - Tied to alt-tabbing?
Camera - slows down / hung up on terrain
Can get caught in combat with non combatats in different rooms
If combatants' targets die they should de-aggro if they aren't in combat with my party
Opportunity Attacks against a character sometimes end that characters actions as well as prevents all further control of character in combat
Characters sometimes walk or shoot through closed doors
Ranger w/ +3 dex hit an imp for 2 damage? Modifiers being calculated correctly? 16 Dex +3 mod minimum damage should be 4 - Confirmed modifiers not added to ranged (maybe this is just on the first imp fight?)

Last edited by TWrecks; 09/10/20 06:07 PM.

Gave in to that sudden momentary sadistic twitch...
N
stranger
stranger
N
+1

journeyman
journeyman
gonna chime in a bit on subclasses myself.

In addition to the Core subclasses from the PHB, I strongly think given that this is BAULDER'S GATE the subclasses from the players guide to the sword coast needs to be included. the bladedancer, the purple dragon knight etc.

TWrecks Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by BrianDavion
gonna chime in a bit on subclasses myself.

In addition to the Core subclasses from the PHB, I strongly think given that this is BAULDER'S GATE the subclasses from the players guide to the sword coast needs to be included. the bladedancer, the purple dragon knight etc.

Good point! Some of that (like the Bladedancer) will be updated in Tasha's Cauldron. Hope they update the Purple Dragon Knight sometime - that subclass needs a little love.

Last edited by TWrecks; 09/10/20 03:11 AM.

TWrecks Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Updated bugs and list

Link Copied to Clipboard