Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 41 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 40 41
T
stranger
stranger
T
I feel like this is an important one.

We were playing through multiplayer earlier taking care to save manually as we went. Someone accidentally attacked an NPC in camp. we laughed, we cried, we reloaded the save. BUT it hadnt been overwriting the save despite the acknowledging the prompts so we were loaded all the way back to the beginning of our session losing hours of game time.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I accidentally posted this in the general chat without seeing this. Sorry for any repetitions, but i spent so long on it already that i feel pretty done with it and dont feel like going over it a fourth time.

First of all id like to say thanks for a great game! I have really been enjoying diving into your world, and right now i have just over 40 hours played. This said, i came here to give you some feedback on things i think can be improved in the game.

Gameplay

1) More information about what things acctually do. For instance, right now magic missles does 1d4+int/cha score of the caster. This information is nowhere to be found and this stretches across alot of different spells. I get that the simplicity is helpful for new players, but i think there should also be an option to right click the spell to get more details on how it acctually works.

Once you hit level 3 you also get the option to spend a second level spell slot to cast an improved version of the spell, instead of some spells just naturally becoming better with level. With levels i think the current system is limiting the usefullness of some spells going forward. I dont see myself casting 5 magic missles over a fireball at level three pretty much ever, for example. It will also make my castbar become way overcrowded going forward.

Another example is mage armor. I get the option to cast it as a level 2 spell, however i have no way at all of knowing what is acctually improved with it, which makes me want to use the first level instead so i can keep the few level 2 spells i have. Just make it improve with level, and if you right click it you can find out how - with a simple tooltip for the new players when just hovering over it.

3) Same goes for AC ingame. I couldnt find anywhere describing how it acctually works. Perhaps being able to right click pretty much everything in the character sheet should bring up a popup window explaining it.

4) Concentration. There needs to be ways around only being able to concentrate at one spell at a time. Sure, it works right now - but once my cleric is level 9, what are the odds im going to want to spend my one and only concentrated spell on keeping bless up? Alternatively, fewer spells should be concentrated spells. As a ranger, i start with "true strike", but very quickly get another spell which improves hit rate - with the added benefit of it being a bonus action on recast. I am also only able to keep one of them up because both demands concentration.

5) Jumping. I really enjoy being able to jump around in combat or in the world, but when going across somewhere i have to select every single character and jump one at a time. Make the other characters follow what i do. This applies to stealth as well. And please let me know if my character is going to hurt itself jumping, cause sometimes its really hard to tell how high up i am.

6) Dualwielding for warriors is practicly useless right now. I get to chose between option a) having my warrior use a greatsword doing 2d6 with the added benefit of having cleave, as well as being able to jump around on the battlefield - or b) having 2 weapons dealing 1d6 each and expending my bonus action. I dont think a regular hit should expend the bonus action for the offhand.

7) I feel like alot of balancing needs to be done to spells overall. There is no reason id ever want to cast melfs acid arrow dealing 4d4+1d4 next round over the firespell that deals 2d6x3 spread out however i want. Another example is familiars. Some of them are practicly useless. As i go with the beastmaster class for my ranger, the familiar spell i get initially with the ranger is also redundant as i cant both keep a familiar and an animal companion. I think it would be better to get to chose class at level 1 already, and having each class tailored to avoid overlapping.

8) Animal speaking / Detect Thoughts / Charm person castable in dialogue. Pretty much self explanatory.

9) Renaming familiars / animal companions. Some people really do enjoy that RP feeling in the game, and if youre playing a ranger having travelled with your bear companion your entire life - i feel it is logical for it to have a name.

10) More cutscenes. Just short ones are enough. An example is when you enter the blighted village, and goblins are on the rooftops. Imagine just a short cutscene with the party walking in, and an arrow hits before their feet. "not one step further" -> into dialogue. Just a few more, too many could take away from repeated playthroughs.

11) Level cap. I found myself hitting level 4 when i had played about half the act. The later parts can also be quite challenging. Most things in the underdark were really hard. Upping it to 5 in the first act seems to be an easy fix.

12) I really wish there was a way for me to add another cleric to my party without having to play with the super annoying Shadowheart. Perhaps this will resolve itself when more characters enter the game, but i think there should be way more playable NPCs than there currently are.

13) Iniative. Id really like to see a small window with initiative being rolled for. Alternatively, add it as an option to the combat log for players interested. I also couldnt find anywhere to see my actual attack rolls, something i really enjoyed about BG2.

14) Fast travel shouldnt be possible from everywhere. After killing the goblin leaders i just fasttraveled out of there, completely avoiding the rest of the camp.

15) Traps. My clumsy characters keeps running over them even though another character has detected the trap and i know its there. Perhaps once a trap is detected, game should automaticly go to turn based mode.

16) Pathing needs to be smarter for my companions. Sometimes characters seem to get stuck in spots for no reason. During the owlbear event my character started talking to the owlbear, but got instantly interrupted by Astarion randomly coming from the other direction - somehow triggering hostility and breaking the dialogue.

Glitches
These are the glitches i can remember that i came across. In no particular order.

1) Critical hits. All i can see is a dice splitting, i cant even see the number or the actual hit. Sometimes the character hit with enough damage spins out of control and its model seems to stretch out over... well different things.

2) Basilisk in underdark wiped 3 characters with its roll before turn based mode kicked in.

3) Sometimes my character gets stuck, completely unable to take an action. I solved it by saving and reloading the game.

4) I eldrich blasted a minotaur in the underdark and it got stuck in a position on a bridge where it could do nothing. No ranged spells or attacks could hit it, and instead seemed to hit the air behind it. I ran up and hit it with melee weapons, but it never did anything back.

All in all, despite the huge list of prefered changes above, i absolutely loved every minute of gameplay and i really think the game is in good hands. Thanks alot!

G
stranger
stranger
G
I've seen several posts in this thread that are essentially about things that are 5e rules, which is the ruleset the game is based on. I'm cherry-picking here (sorry Danneuber), but there are reasons for this stuff.

Originally Posted by Danneuber

1) More information about what things acctually do. For instance, right now magic missles does 1d4+int/cha score of the caster. This information is nowhere to be found and this stretches across alot of different spells. I get that the simplicity is helpful for new players, but i think there should also be an option to right click the spell to get more details on how it acctually works.

For magic missile, the damage calculation is 1d4+1 per missile, or at least it should be. But I agree, lengthier spell descriptions would be helpful.

Once you hit level 3 you also get the option to spend a second level spell slot to cast an improved version of the spell, instead of some spells just naturally becoming better with level. With levels i think the current system is limiting the usefullness of some spells going forward. I dont see myself casting 5 magic missles over a fireball at level three pretty much ever, for example. It will also make my castbar become way overcrowded going forward.

Another example is mage armor. I get the option to cast it as a level 2 spell, however i have no way at all of knowing what is acctually improved with it, which makes me want to use the first level instead so i can keep the few level 2 spells i have. Just make it improve with level, and if you right click it you can find out how - with a simple tooltip for the new players when just hovering over it.

This is how spell slots in 5th edition work. Having expanded spell descriptions would help explain this, but not all spells scale up. Mage armor, for example, doesn't (and shouldn't). Others do. There are situations where using fireball instead of magic missile isn't a great idea.

4) Concentration. There needs to be ways around only being able to concentrate at one spell at a time. Sure, it works right now - but once my cleric is level 9, what are the odds im going to want to spend my one and only concentrated spell on keeping bless up? Alternatively, fewer spells should be concentrated spells. As a ranger, i start with "true strike", but very quickly get another spell which improves hit rate - with the added benefit of it being a bonus action on recast. I am also only able to keep one of them up because both demands concentration.

This is another rule of 5e. You can only concentrate on one spell at a time. Concentration is a resource to manage. Some class spell lists have more concentration spells than others. This is more of a case for expanding the party size to 6 than anything, imo. They don't need to change 5e's rules more than they already have.

6) Dualwielding for warriors is practicly useless right now. I get to chose between option a) having my warrior use a greatsword doing 2d6 with the added benefit of having cleave, as well as being able to jump around on the battlefield - or b) having 2 weapons dealing 1d6 each and expending my bonus action. I dont think a regular hit should expend the bonus action for the offhand.

This is how dual wielding in 5e works. Offhand is a bonus action. It is very strong at low levels but tapers off pretty quickly in effectiveness. There's no real reason to build around it unless, maybe, you're not proficient in shields and pick up the defensive duelist feat.

11) Level cap. I found myself hitting level 4 when i had played about half the act. The later parts can also be quite challenging. Most things in the underdark were really hard. Upping it to 5 in the first act seems to be an easy fix.

I'm not sure we even have all of act one doable just yet? I know they've said for now the cap is 4, but I'm not sure it'll stay there. To me, from a story perspective, it makes the most sense to end Act 1 with your arrival in Baldur's Gate. Maybe Larian feels differently, I dunno.

All in all, I think this is a pretty strong case that Larian needs to invest more time in tutorials and meatier explanations of mechanics and the like up front. It's a lot of information, but there's a reason the Dungeons & Dragons Players Handbook is so thick. There's a lotta information. If you're not coming to the game with a robust working knowledge of 5e, there's not enough of an explanation of how things work or why.

veteran
veteran
I didn't see this one listed yet:

It's an optional rule in the PHB that you can use Strength instead of Charisma for Intimidation checks. Intimidation Checks should use the highest modifier of STR or CHA. This would help with the Barbarian and Fighter and others for certain social skill checks.

I admit that I don't know how to clearly express that in character creation and the Character panels except listing it under BOTH Strength and Charisma.

Short rests right now feel unfinished. They're functional, but lackluster and underwhelming. You hit a button and you get some health back. There isn't even any GUI element, just a button by the map.

Is that even using up your hit dice to heal? If you have more than one Hit die, do you get the option to spend more than one? What if you're full or near full and don't want to spend any?
I think Short Rests need a dedicated GUI where you can choose how many hit dice to roll, including none. You can roll the dice one at a time and stop when you're satisfied, or when you're out of dice to spend.

When done, click the "Finish Short Rest" button.

The game interprets throwing a health potion at an unconscious Findal as "MURDER Findal, using a health potion." I would rather it didn't.

Okay, YES, he was technically unconscious and unable to drink anything I threw at him, but I think the context of what I was trying to do was clear.

Last edited by Stabbey; 11/10/20 04:51 AM. Reason: MURDER of Findal.
stranger
stranger
Currently just finished the EA after completing the majority of the currently available content on a more or less Chaotic Neutral Half-Wood Elf Rogue. I played with primarily Gale, Shadowheart, and Lae'zel and romanced Shadowheart. Most folks don't seem to be understanding what happens in EA lol but I think you guys are doing superb work integrating 5e into a gaming system. Plan to run through completion again on a Lawful Good Drow Fighter and a Neutral Evil Tiefling Warlock. Want to play a Lawful Neutral Dhampir/Vampire/Vampire Spawn Sorceress fighting their nature eventually or a neutral good Human Lycanthrope Psionic.

CHARACTER CREATION:
Customization:
-Really enjoying the possibilities here, made a few intriguing Tieflings and Dwarves so far; I think a pair of interesting features would be separate sclera and iris color spots or body sliders but I know the work behind those features is no easy task. Maybe more head options for all races.
Get the grizzled 5-o-clock shadow beard option into the game lol

Races:
-Half-Elves to look more akin to their 5e art in the books, not outsplayed ears like bugbears just obviously more subtle elven ears that pay better credence to the blend of elven + X ancestry.
-As far as races are concerned I'd like to see Orcs, Goblins, Yuan-Ti for their dark sides and actually well written rich cultures, maybe Kenku for some real obscure conversations, Goliaths for the power barbarian build, Vampires or Vampire Spawn (since it's a sidestep from Astarion) and Lycanthropy eventually show up as they lead to some fun gameplay dynamics, later when BGII: EE got mod support it made for tense and silly moments for gameplay, like failing the Wisdom save and shifting in a public place or suddenly attacking your party and having to deal with the consequences or forgetting your sunblock cloak on your vamp and taking some serious damage.

DIALOGUE:
Dialogue Selection:
-I agree to have spacebar only be for advancing dialogue not making selections; led to a few frustrating re-loads

Romance:
-I'm not sure if it was my charming rogue or not, but it felt like some serious main character syndrome for every fallower in the party to find you irresistible at the Tiefling party which felt less organic lol

MECHANICS/GAMEPLAY:
Containers:
-The varied clutter is great, I like that most containers are empty and it feels like itemization is right;

Items:
-Rare items feel rare (albeit some feel quite weak and more punishing towards the player than functional).

Leaps/Shoves:
-Shoving is great, lead to many fun puzzle solving moments (pushing goblins into spider pits and hook horrors off cliffs) jumping is fine; very strong on Githyanki as it should be but should probably provoke attacks of opportunity for all but the rougeish-types.

stranger
stranger
I just got done with my early access run and I wanted to offer my feedback.

I enjoy playing around with illusions when I play 5e and I think giving players a choice in what they make - kind of like what you're doing with Disguise Self - would go a long way towards making an illusionist both fun and viable. Here are just a few suggestions, which may or may not fit.
  • The player conjures up a terrifying visage, forcing enemies who see it to make a saving throw. If they fail, then they spend their remaining movement fleeing in the opposite direction. Alternatively, it could give them the feared status.
  • The player creates an illusion of a valuable jewel lying on the ground. Ideally an npc's reaction would be based on their personality, but since this is a video game they'd probably have to succeed on a saving throw or they'd walk over to pick up the object... setting them up to get punted off a cliff, locked in a cage, etc.
  • Something distracting is created, such as a doomsayer trying to preach about the end of times. While enemies are distracted, player characters have advantage on stealth rolls.

Here's some more general recommendations/feedback.
  • Please stick to 5e's ruleset as closely as possible. I know some changes are necessary since this is a video game(and if I'm being honest 5e's ranger class needs a buff), but it's a pretty good system for the most part and I know a lot of people really want to feel like they're playing D&D 5e in video game form. I feel like this will make balancing the game easier as well.
  • It'd be cool to see dice rolls during combat. Maybe as an optional feature, since I'm sure just as many players don't want to see them.
  • If you're not already planning on it, you might consider adding some subclasses not in the PHB. Personally I'm a big fan of Swashbucklers, but maybe you could do polls to figure out what people want most.
  • Would it be possible to change how surfaces work or is that baked into the Divinity engine? I'm thinking fire would be less annoying(and more true to D&D) if it was slow to spread, but would also spread to wooden objects such as crates and walkways. I feel like other surfaces probably shouldn't spread at all.
  • A way to tell the whole party to do things would be a nice QoL change. Sneaking in particular comes to mind.
  • I thought resurrection scrolls seemed a bit rare. It'd also be cool if you could have someone strong(such as Lae'zel) carry her dead companions body to camp to be stored until resurrected.
  • Personally I think allowing two short rests would be better than just one. It felt like I was relying on long rests a lot simply to renew my spells.
  • Food almost makes healing too easy. Since I played without Shadowheart, I figured I'd have to invest some money into healing potions.

journeyman
journeyman
Wow, this thread has gotten HUGE! @vometia, are you planning on updating the list further?

apprentice
apprentice
I have a list of bugs, but I'm less versed in the quality of life stuff (changing my notepad doc now lol). But I do have a couple things to add:

I absolutely loathe trading (in this game -- because I have played so many others!). I need to be able to click many at once, sell all to wares, etc. The drag and drop doesn't seem to work smoothly, so if I assign objects to wares, then let me sell them all at once. It is also not made clear between trade and barter. While I figured it out after fumbling around, I would like it to be a bit more obvious. Same with menus that allow me to trade with NPCs, not random traders in town.

Minimize completed quests in the Journal. Got spoiled in Divine Divinity wink I realize this was not how the OG BG went, but it was not what I liked doing -- painstakingly filtering manually every time I looked in my journal.

I'd also like to be able to filter the crit hit cutscenes. Nice and all, but repetitive and glitchy after a time. Just the text is enough for me while I am getting smacked into the next chasm.

I also believe it has been mentioned, but if not, I would like to have the option or have it more clear when dice rolls happen in combat. I think the feature somewhat exists (mousing over the log for each action), but it's either incomplete, buggy, or just not clear. Would like it to be consistent (sorry if that's just in progress!!!!)

H
stranger
stranger
H
I tried something during my 2. game and it totally broke the immersion..

So I'm in my 2. game and killed all the druids without even saying "Hello." The response of everyone around me was a let down. They were just "okayish" with it after I said that the druids were wrong - even though I did not talk to them.
I mean I just killed them without talking, slept one night between their corpses and after we woke up EVERYONE in the camp was DEAD. All druids and ALL Tieflings and my group was like "yeah you are right...you did the right thing...LET'S FIND HALSIN!!!!111" After a bloodshed like that at least 1-2 companions should have a serious talk with me. Because of us innocent people and children died and we cannot justify it at all.
That was a little...off. I had the option to tell Halsin that I killed all druids but that is not enough for a choice like that.
Also..okay I lied..ONE Tiefling was alive at the gate. BUT she also did not criticize me at ALL.
Also in the Goblin Town I could not tell the Drow that I alrady killed the druids and she did not see it even though I let her read my mind.

Also a general issue: More companions. Not in the actualy group but in general. It looks like we are going to stick with these companions and IMO there should be more and also different races. No halfling or dwarf companion is a letdown - for me at least.

Also:

I drank Gutt's potion and ended up in proison. I was saved and Gutt was killed. I returned to my group but no one even asked me what happenend.

Last edited by Hildilas; 11/10/20 07:31 AM.
L
L
Originally Posted by Gabriel Farishta
Wow, this thread has gotten HUGE! @vometia, are you planning on updating the list further?
It probably would get updated more if the requested submission format was followed:

Originally Posted by vometia
I would also appreciate it if submissions are kept brief: a one-line overview and a link to an existing discussion would be most helpful to me as this is just something I'm doing in my own time.
Keep balancing and ruleset as close to 5e as possible.

Two very large threads with this same theme:

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=682937#Post682937

http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=678025#Post678025

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Starting to mess around with what are concentration spells is a quick way to unbalance DnD. You are correct that a 9h level cleric will not be wanting to concentrate on a bless spell, here are the reasons why that is not an argument to circumvent that spell being a concentration spell:

1. The cleric will be concentrating on a more powerfull spell, the class is balanced around getting more powerfull spells, not around stacking a pile of concentration spells on top of eachother.

2. By lv9 the party will have a significantly improved stats and magic weapons helping them with their chance to hit stuff so bless will have less impact.

3. Clerics can swap out what spells they have on a whim so it "costs" them noting to pick a spell that is good at low levels and then replace that whenthere are more usefull things to do. This is a general thing with many DnD spells, they are simply good at certain levles but less usefull at higher levels.

stranger
stranger
First of all, a big thank you to Vometia for compiling all of this. smile

I accidentally posted this in the general chat without seeing this. Sorry for any repetitions, but i spent so long on it already that i feel pretty done with it and dont feel like going over it a fourth time.

First of all id like to say thanks for a great game! I have really been enjoying diving into your world, and right now i have just over 40 hours played. This said, i came here to give you some feedback on things i think can be improved in the game.

All in all, despite the huge list of prefered changes above, i absolutely loved every minute of gameplay and i really think the game is in good hands. Thanks alot!

I agree with pretty much everything in this post. ( #687550 )

I'll try to keep this short and to the point and link to active discussions as much as possible:

1) SMARTER AI: not just the party, but also the enemy AI ought to be better at avoiding / moving out of hazardous surfaces
(e.g.: had an entire group of 5 enemies stand in fire without moving out of it, simply because they couldn't SEE my hiding party, while my wizard was going in and out of hiding refreshing said fire surface every 2 turns)

In line with this:

- reduce the overall amount / availability of hazardous surfaces (barrels, cantrips causing surfaces as a side effect, etc.)
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=678022#Post678022
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=683249#Post683249)

- make the AI respond smarter to discovered TRAPS (if a trap is detected, everyone in the party should know it is there and avoid it)
- HIDING, when available, is pretty op when enemies MAKE NO EFFORT TO LOOK FOR YOU, despite you slowly killing them off from the shadows

2) COMBAT MOVEMENT / movement in general: make it more visible if performing an action or moving will have negative consequences for the character (e.g. move through a hazardous surface, jump damage). Make placing characters individually easier to accomplish.
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=679414#Post679414
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=683088#Post683088 )

3) CONVERSATION: Make spells / abilities that influence the outcome of a conversation available DURING a conversation, especially if you have triggered a cutscene and can't 'prepare' with a spell beforehand. Also, allow switching of characters during a conversation.
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=678618#Post678618

Pressing space bar should not select a speech option.
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=677426#Post677426

Do not trigger a cutscene for one-liners.

4) CONTAINERS: When opening a container / bookcase, automatically close the tab when opening the next container or when moving away.

5) DECLUTTER: reduce the amount of random and worthless objects, reduce the amount of (empty) containers.

In line with this: make the 'HIGHLIGHT' function actually mean something by highlighting every interactable object.

6) PERCEPTION CHECKS: better highlight of what was actually perceived (focus in, flashing outline over a longer time, etc.)
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=686176#Post686176

7) PARTY QoL: Buttons for the entire party: Hold party, stealth party, etc.

8) HIDE HELMETS
http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=677686#Post677686

9) XP REWARD for resolving a situation through conversation instead of combat
(link to the discussion the BG3 reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BaldursGate3/comments/j8t1oq/feedback_dont_punish_players_for_solving/ )

10) COMPANIONS: make them be more invested in the story and actually react to certain situations instead of simply standing around.
( e.g. meeting Astarion: http://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=682627#Post682627 )

S
addict
addict
S
A button to skip the tutorial would be nice. After playing through it 5 times, it becomes a little tedious.

(SPOILER, obv.) at the tiefling party, every one of my companions seems to be either romantically interested in me, or at least jealous of me picking someone else to romance, even though some of them have a very low attitude towards me. This just kind of makes no sense.

EDIT: another thing. I know you have built the game and all encounters for four party members, but wouldn't rebalancing it for 5 or 6 be worth it? Even if you say 6 is too much, I think we would all be happy with 5 too... So many things would be improved: first of all, just the FEELING of a D&D party would be improved in an instant. Also, more different classes in your team = more fun. Must I go on..?

Last edited by Sigi98; 11/10/20 08:02 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Just got to the end of EA content. A lot to love here so far. There were however a few things that bothered me, and I feel like I can't be alone in this.

1. Some of the deviations from 5e are good or even necessary calls, some are not. And vice versa.

The big one in the spell department is Detect Thoughts. At the table, you are always supposed to be able to hear surface thoughts, and the save they make is for you to probe deeper. Detect Thoughts as currently implemented feels like its not worth my time, and the same is true of the rest of the social spells (as well as adjacent abilities like guidance). This is tied in with one of the vice versa issues: the reliance on dice rolls in social situations. So, rarely in dnd is a dice roll pass/fail when it comes to social situations and role play moments. It's about degrees. But the amount of them combined with the dramatic swings they often are attached to makes the game feel so capricious and also a little unfun. A DM can interpret die results and use them to help the player tell the story they are going for while also incorporating that failure. A video game cannot, and it feels like the die rolls as they currently exist are a relic of trying to "be dnd" without understanding the spirit of the thing. More emphasis on player choice and less on die rolls being the end all and be all, while still having a roll to play, would be welcome.

2. The Companions

If I can be glib for a moment I would like to suggest the good writers at Larian get some knew tabletop groups going. This is because, generally speaking, dnd does not consist of a bunch of assholes sitting around a fire being shitty to each other, and it worries me that they seem to think it is. Comradery is one of the core experiences of dnd, and when it is absent it is usually a special circumstance. The lack of it felt very jarring and really disinterested me in engaging with what seems like a pretty big part of the game. Character conflict can be interesting, but so can actually enjoying being around these characters. And I feel like "writing interesting female characters means making them incredible shitty to the player and every other character no matter what" has been demonstrated over the years as a generally bad look, but here we are. And truthfully, while I liked being around Gale and Wyll more, they were just as one dimensional in behavior. It felt like I was interacting the with the description of a character but not the character itself, if you follow. Weirdly the character I liked the least at first, Ast, was the one I enjoyed the most simply because his reactions felt dynamic, like he actually changed depending on how he was treated and the things that happened, even if he isn't the deepest of wells in terms of story.

Also, I feel like larian is gonna hear this a lot, but please, I'm begging em, tone down how romance works. If I had expressed interest, flirted with, or indeed had at least some sort of moment or time spent with a character I could see it, but just having every character walk up and be like "so who ya gonna bone" on the same night was some of the clunkiest shit I've ever seen.

3. More characters allowed in party please

So, there is no way they don't know what the action economy is in terms of 5e and how important it is, but for anyone who needs clarification, the "rule" is this: "if the players and the enemies are of comparably equal power, the side with the most actions generally wins". And that feels pretty true in this game as well. Whenever my party was outnumbered, the game went from fun to "keep resurrecting the same person so the enemies can keep dogpiling them" and I only made it through because of luck, meanwhile someone who could be helping is back at camp sipping red wine and curling up with the 16th copy of A is for Azuth I found. It made combat feel arbitrarily swingy and I often won feeling like I didn't really outthink my enemies, and it made losing feel just as capricious.

veteran
veteran
"Press O for tactical view"

The max zoom-out distance achievable in the tactical view is the one I want for Iso roaming about, I wish the camera was free to move there instead of locked straight overhead.

UI I'd like to be able to move the elements around. Mini map or chat to the left say. Or character portraits along the vertical side instead of at the bottom. Then there'd be more room for the spell bars and whatnot along the bottom and enough space to fit 6 portraits without it crowing out the field of view overmuch.

V
stranger
stranger
V
I've been playing a little now and just wanted to leave some feedback on the resting mechanic. I'm guessing it won't be the most popular opinion, but anyway...

First off: I'm a casual gamer. I love RPG, but am only vaguely familiar with D&D and honestly do not thing it works well in video games. I find DoS combat vastly superior to Pillars and Pathfinder because it does not deal with the whole rest mechanic. By the time I reached the end of Pillars, I hated whenever I was drawn into a fight. In part, this is my own fault. You see, I'm a hoarder. I'm that gamer who picks up potions and scrolls and hangs on to them for the entirety of the game because I might need them later on. So I reach the end of the game with a whole bunch of potions that are even too low level for me to use. This is a me problem, of course, but I know I'm not the only gamer like this and it feeds into why I really do not like the abilities being tied to the resting mechanic.

I'm hoarding my abilities and spells because I might need them more later. I'm cycling through the same basic attacks on all my characters because of this restriction and while I am for now enjoying the fights, I can see BG falling into the same pitfall as Pillars where I absolutely loathe the combat because it takes too long as I'm holding on to my more fun abilities for a time when I will need them more. Yes, this means I need to get better at balancing things, but it just sucks the fun out of the combat for me.

DoS is a game where I love each and every battle I come up against. It's a challenge without me feeling hampered. I get a kick when an ability comes off its cooldown and I can throw a devastating AOE at the enemy. It is fun and it's thrilling while still being a challenge, and isn't that the point of combat in a game? With BG, it's more about wheedling down the enemy with basic attacks and if you get really into a bind, maybe pulling out one of those superior abilities and hope it isn't too late and saves my ass. While I haven't reached the point yet where it feels like a slog to get through a battle, I feel it's a matter of time for that to happen.

I'm fine with the one action/one movement each turn thing. I'm not so much fine with the restrictions based on my spells and special abilities which forms a mental wall to me and turns combat into a slow slog rather than a part of the game I am thrilled to go through. I would very much love to see this replaced by a cooldown or even a limit per encounter. Or perhaps a mix where it's only a handful of over powerful abilities that are tied to needing to rest. Right now as my ranger, I'm constantly going with my basic attack and that's it.

That said, I do want the camping mechanic to stay. I love having a spot to go to where you can talk to your companions. I just really wish there was more freedom in the combat system. It might be fun in real live D&D (I assumeà, but I find it tedious and restrictive in video games.

Other than that: I love the character creation. I do hope for some more variety between the races with their own types of tattoos etc (a bit more short hair options for female would be nice as well). It's absolutely gorgeous however and I adore my Drow. I love the attention to detail how the colours in the game change when I go from character with dark vision to one without. I definitely plan on making a different race character just to see how much it impacts dialog as I was surprised at how much impact it has on conversations. I like how it makes it really feel like race has an impact other than a few stats.

While I haven't gotten far yet and I'm sure I'll have additional remarks later, this to me is the major flaw I ran in to. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to continuing and love how this is shaping up to be. If the combat can just get ironed out and feel less restrictive, this will be an amazing game.

Last edited by Voronwer; 11/10/20 09:16 AM.
stranger
stranger
I'm happy this compilation thread was made! I'm going to repost things I've suggested so far to add to this one list, so I apologize if it's already been read.

First, I love this game. Thank you for making a 5E RPG.
The Thief Rogue feature of an extra bonus action is really cool. I love being able to use light weapons and attacking three times. That is a good payoff for losing a lot of other options. I still really want the rogue Inquisitive or Swashbuckler classes.

The Rogue seriously needs their Expertise.
Sneak Attack needs to apply passively to off hand attacks if your main attack misses. If I attack twice and only the second hits (or third) then the sneak attack should still apply. This should also passively affect reaction attacks. (The rule is sneak attack once per turn, not round.)
Acrobatics seems useless so far but its normally my favorite skill. I would like uses for this in combat. You could make it an acrobatics maneuver to run around behind someone to backstab them (because right now anyone can do that for free.)
Allowing every character to disengage as a bonus action obviously makes melee combat weak, but I think you've heard that plenty.
The Rogue's Cunning Action would be nice to have improved more to separate them from what all characters can now do.
The Dodge action is missing.
There's no option to Feint, but I would like an action to use two weapon attacks in this way. Feinting with one to gain advantage on the other. Using skills other than just Deception for this same type of action would be great.
The Rogue is unable to run out of cover and make a sneak attack if they enter someone's line of sight in the process. Normally this should still work if they can reach the target and attack within their turn.
Triggering combat against many enemies at once due to one hostile action against a single target is sometimes uncalled for. Example: Sneak attacking an unaware or SLEEPING enemy, and not dealing enough damage to instantly kill them, so the entire area immediately targets and attacks you.

Face options are divided in an odd way. For males, the half elves have prettier faces, but they have body hair you can't edit. The full elves are hairless, but the faces are rougher and less attractive. It could be solved by simply allowing all face shapes for both, and allowing body hair choice. Some limited choice for body type would be nice too. (Waist size, limb thickness, muscle tone texture.)

Please allow us to only gain XP for the active members in the party, so that there is a reward for having a smaller party, or all the way to solo play to level much faster.

The dual wielder feat does not function, this may be known already. There's no AC increase even when both weapons are out in a combat stance.

It would be good if throwing a light or finesse weapon could become a bonus action (so a dual wielding rogue can "throw" knives with each hand.)

Cover.
One thing I would love to see is using enemies as "cover" against other attackers.
The obvious way would be grappling one and holding them as a shield, but other methods not relying on STR would be better. (Since I obviously love the rogue.)
It's impossible for now since everyone can just disengage and run around any cover and avoid AOO.
Using chokepoints and arranging multiple enemies in a confined space so only a couple can hit you at once is an important tactic to have.
This could be another use for an acrobatics maneuver.
Another concept is impaling someone with one hand (since pin-down is already a concept) to keep them from running and using them as half cover.
I know that's a lot of "ideas" but these are things players actually do in my 5E games.

Thank you for reading.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
Dash shouldn't break invisibility.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Current list of 5e serrious issues i noticed so far.
- Free prepeared spells change for anyone: No class can do it in base. "Longrest" only ability is free.
- Help action not implemented. One of the most basic core mechanics is missing - resulting in save scumming.
- Dodge action not implemented. Again one of most basic actions just don't exist.
- Wizards can learn divine spells. That's not just issue it's huge rude violation of spellcasting system. That's really really bad.
- Rogues missing expertise. Double prof bonus on skillschecks it's cournerstone of class.
- Cunning action limited to dash - just terrible. Dash, Disengage, Hide is basics of basics. SHould be reworked.
- Characters jump can exeed overall character speed - rude violation again. Still not fatal and giving some intresting options.
- Warlock missing 3 lvl. Pact boon feature.
- Hobo party. Normal heavy armor just don't exist and no options to choose starting gear. Not fatal but should be cosidered for all classes.
- Shadowheart borned to suffer. I really can't imagine someone create character that's limited with medium armor and have 8 Dex even in my worst nighmare. Probably stats should be tweaked. Clumsy trickster - absurd. Period.
- Ranger have strange and basically OP options in pregen inculding feat worth abilities. Why other classes don't?
- Animal compainion current realisations is one big mess. You have 11hp wolf(without default pack tactics ability) and piggy, 19 hp bear and... 32 hp spider with poisonous attack. Last one is raven that's merged from familiars and don't have any hp. AC summon is limitless. So you can spam 32 hp pet that's stronger then fighter for free. Nice.
- Ranger with one of backgrounds can cast summon familiar as rirual. Default ritual caster is wizard but he must spend speeslot each time.
- Bless spell working random you can't choose who you will bless. Bane - same issue. Targeting should be same way as Scorching Ray.
- Rogue sneak attack seems to be don't adding sometimes or don't adds at all with basic condition "rogue ally in melee with enemy" - which is core rogue mechanics.
Will stop for now and keepd digging.

P.S. Sorry if i'm repeating other ppl issues.

Last edited by Nexano; 11/10/20 10:00 AM.

Pain only be passing, you should survive the process.
Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
While holding two weapons a character attacks with both of them in the same attack action, and then can use a bonus action to attack with the off-hand again. A Rogue Thief can attack with the off-hand twice, granting them 4 attack in total at level 3.

Page 14 of 41 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard