Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 41 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 40 41
stranger
stranger
"I feel really stupid for admitting this, but I have not yet managed to light a torch in this game. frown The only thing they appear good for is as a really bad club. confused"

Equip the torch in the main hand, than use the "dip weapon" on fire surface or other torch. Was a hard time for me to figure this out tho.
note: can't dip if it's equipped in the offhand, but once it's lighted you can use it in the offhand, even you can put it back to inventory, and equip later it will be still lighted

Go for the eyes BOO! Go for the eyes...
stranger
stranger
I've seen this topic pop up in various servers I'm in, but one thing that really bothers me is how much dialogue is locked behind tadpole usage. Especially after you have the dreams, and you can speak to each of the companions in turn and get some pretty unique dialogue (often about their backstories.) I was avoiding using the tadpoles until I realized how many interesting convos happened after each of the dream sequences.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with some conversations and scenes being specific to certain choices (such as the dreams themselves), but it would be great if there were other dialogue options for players who choose *not* to use the tadpole, as they shouldn't feel like they're missing out.

E
addict
addict
E
Originally Posted by Nolowin
I've seen this topic pop up in various servers I'm in, but one thing that really bothers me is how much dialogue is locked behind tadpole usage. Especially after you have the dreams, and you can speak to each of the companions in turn and get some pretty unique dialogue (often about their backstories.) I was avoiding using the tadpoles until I realized how many interesting convos happened after each of the dream sequences.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with some conversations and scenes being specific to certain choices (such as the dreams themselves), but it would be great if there were other dialogue options for players who choose *not* to use the tadpole, as they shouldn't feel like they're missing out.

Agreed. I don't like to feel railroaded into using the tadpole powers. I am rather predictable in that I generally play characters that wouldn't risk the potential consequences of making use of such powers. It makes sense that players would be 'rewarded', so to speak, for using the powers but should there a tradeoff for doing so (perhaps there is, I haven't noticed one myself)? Likewise, should players that choose to ignore the tadpole powers receive some sort of boon for resisting it?

Personally I am not a fan of this whole tadpole story at all, it just hasn't grabbed me; it creates an impending sense of doom (which is fine in itself) and implies we have a limited amount of time to get it removed, but there is no means to mark the passing of time in the game...that just feels badly designed in my opinion.

Last edited by Etruscan; 08/01/21 12:37 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
I don't know (35 pages are a huge amount to completely dig them) if this issue has already been brought in this thread but I think that the storyline of Kagha need some tuning. If a player find or the letter in the swamp or read her dary in the lair and doesn't confront her before the end of the main quest, the chance to unmask her disappear.

W
apprentice
apprentice
W
Dialogue with Nettie about removing the tadpole:

I persuade her to let us leave, and accept the wyvern poison, saying I'll use it if the time comes. Asatarion disapproves. After the conversation, he has an exclamation mark over his head. I talk to him and tell him that people will believe whatever they want. He cheers up, saying let's drop the poison down the nearest well and be on our way. The conversation concludes.

I feel like Astarion should have approved in the exclamation mark dialogue, canceling out his initial disapproval. That's how those lines of dialogue play out.

stranger
stranger
I played just a few hours and I'm delighted - I'm certain this will be the best RPG of the decade. Stil, IMO there are many important issues that ruined my gameplay a lot:

1) no automatic loot distribution to all party members

2) pathfinding causing characters to step into mines, acid, etc.

3) problems with optimization, memory leaks, at times elements of the environment obstructing the camera and other minor graphic bugs - it's very important to fix

4) sometimes characters freeze in endless loop when interacting with physical objects like ie. stairs and there is no way to get them out of this state

5) the quick access bar is inconvenient and fills up too quickly with random junk

6) inconvenient cancellation of the actions

7) plz plz plz make it run well also on AMD graphic cards

~ ssh nethack@ascension.run
S
addict
addict
S
one minor thing that would greatly improve charater creation: if you change the hair/hair color/face etc., it always takes a second to load in which the character is 'gone', and then reloads with the new hair/hair color/face. this makes it harder to directly compare options, especially if youre deciding between, for example, two very similar hair colors or skin colors.
If this 'reloading' of the character could be removed, comparing two options would be much easier.

apprentice
apprentice
Not sure if there's been a mention of it yet, but schedule autosaves rather than milestone autosaves would be a significant improvement.

I'm dyspraxic. I am biologically incapable of perceiving the passage of time or keeping an internal schedule. So far in nine hours of play time, I've barely made it to the druid grove because something kills me and it's been an hour, two hours since the last autosave and I have no way to track when the last time I made a manual save was. I understand that too-frequent autosaves might make the game too 'easy' for some players (by reducing the importance of doing well), but I think the ability to set an autosave frequency that fits your needs might improve the playability over all.

Just something as simple as an option in the autosave or accessibility settings that lets you set autosaves to 'once every ten minutes', 'once every thirty minutes', or 'once every hour' would massively increase my ability to enjoy the game.

Last edited by FuryouMiko; 06/02/21 11:00 AM.
stranger
stranger
I really hope that the dice-throwing algorithms will be fixed by the release, otherwise it is not playable. Even worse than in one not unknown game about an alien invasion. Only in this game there are absurd mistakes not only by the player but also by the enemy, so that everyone is on equal terms, and in BG it is just a trash when the whole party misses in turn with a probability of hitting 70%. I only have 1 / 4-5 hits on the enemy. (No, I know the mechanics of the game, and NO, I made the maximum possible build to implement the damage), while the enemy only has a 1/4 miss .... I HAVE ARMOR CLASS 20-21 AND ON ME A GOBLIN (armor class 9) HITS WITH A STICK MORE MORE THAN I AT IT WITH A COMBAT WEAPON

Rya Offline
stranger
stranger
It looks like the secret tower button is broken in the last patch. Also, don't seem to be able to pick pocket Bernard anymore.
On a personal note, I like cobwebs that burn away when a torch is near.
The dream graphics are still weird - I don't need anyone that far inside me.
Auto targeting barrels is making me bananas.

I hate Wyll, probably because I dated someone like him in my before time.

I love the druid! The little tweaks are awesome - there are even more books on the shelves!

Mad love, I appreciate the work and love that is going into this game!

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by Nolowin

I am pretty sure that all those companion conversations, also offered either a regular wisdom roll or a persuasion roll. You had the illithid available if you wanted to guarantee that you would win the roll, but there is always other methods in regards to the companions. So your not really railroaded into using it, unless you really want to to open convos with them.

Convos with other NPCs is a different story, sometimes you just have the choice of using the tadpole.

P
addict
addict
P
Originally Posted by FuryouMiko
Not sure if there's been a mention of it yet, but schedule autosaves rather than milestone autosaves would be a significant improvement.

I'm dyspraxic. I am biologically incapable of perceiving the passage of time or keeping an internal schedule. So far in nine hours of play time, I've barely made it to the druid grove because something kills me and it's been an hour, two hours since the last autosave and I have no way to track when the last time I made a manual save was. I understand that too-frequent autosaves might make the game too 'easy' for some players (by reducing the importance of doing well), but I think the ability to set an autosave frequency that fits your needs might improve the playability over all.

Just something as simple as an option in the autosave or accessibility settings that lets you set autosaves to 'once every ten minutes', 'once every thirty minutes', or 'once every hour' would massively increase my ability to enjoy the game.

Have you tried to quicksave after a major battle rather than trying to remember time wise? That is what I do, after every major accomplishment (either a major conversation or battle) I hit F5. Though I still think your idea about offering a scheduled autosave is a great idea in itself. Just wondering if maybe my idea would help you before then. I am not one of those people against "savescumming" personally I think if you want to do it, it is your game, nothing wrong with it anyways.

Last edited by Pandemonica; 28/02/21 03:55 AM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
Hi everyone; I have specific feedback to share regarding the current state of companion cutscenes...

Since the start of EA many players reported not being able to properly trigger companion specific scenes when taking a long rest (e.g. Weave scene from Gale, Astarion star scene, Wyll's scenes, etc.); A lot of save scumming, long rest spamming, and excessive experimentation was required from players in past patches as the game seems to only trigger companion scenes under very particular situations which made a big chunk of the origin character stories severely miss-able.

Having to manage your every move in the game even to the smallest detail just to experience the companion side stories impacts/breaks immersion; It causes unnecessary stress to the players whose enjoyment lie in connecting with the origin characters' stories and maximizing their experience of the campaign story.

Here are my specific suggestions to further address the gaps in this area of the game as the current patch has yet to properly address the elusiveness of companion camp scenes:

1) The devs should explore revamping the long rest functionality and how it affects the BG3 story as it is possible to complete Act 1 by only long resting a couple of times. In order to avoid missing major story beats, it might be better if the game would require the player to set up camp at specific points in the campaign to allow critical narrative points points to trigger, as well as relevant companion scenes before they are locked out.

2) The devs should lessen scene locks in the game; Companion scenes should only lock out from players if they made major story decisions that narratively halted the development of the origin characters; Larian should also lessen time based locks and other very strict prerequisites to trigger a companion scene unless the story really requires it.

3) Regarding dialogue options during a companion scene - it would be good quality of life change if the game can indicate to the player which of them would act as a "player decision option" for the conversation that would ultimately end the scene and prevent further inquiries with the companion; This feature is pretty common in recent massive rpgs wherein game devs highlight major dialogue decision options in another color (usually yellow) to contrast them from the general ones that would not end the conversation (usually in standard white text). This distinction would allow the player to make a more informed choice when doing companion quest conversations as some responses may serve as potential lock points for future quests/scenes.

4) Have companions talk to to us in the over-world/give us a notification if they have something to tell us at camp so players do not miss their side stories/missions; Larian can also indicate in the player's quest journal when a companion wants to talk to us at camp as an added measure of security.

5) Remove scene priority between companions during long rest . We can have 1 scene per companion per night at camp. This would avoid having companion scenes "conflict" with each other and bug-out during a standard long rest.

6) Removal of scene priority should also apply to the "exclamation mark discussions" the origin characters give-out after the player makes a quest decision in the over-world; There should be no issue in having all three active companions in your party comment on your quest decision as they were present when it was made. It would also be a good quality of life change if the devs made the exclamation points on top of the companions' heads more visible; Right now they are easy to miss because of the current design.

7) Please remove the relationship level locks wherein companions scenes can become miss-able if a party member's approval level goes up too quickly before taking a long rest (Looking at you Gale); Companion approval ratings can erratically change in a play-through based on the multitude of quest decisions being done by the player so they shouldn't be gated in this way. The player shouldn't have to micromanage relationship levels and then excessively camp just to make sure they get all the story scenes for a particular party member. Scenes for a specific companion should be queue-able in the chronological order they were made to be experienced in so long as the necessary prerequisites have been previously attained by the player.

It is also worth noting that there are still a large number of lip sync problems for certain companion scenes in patch 4; Our party members' mouths do not move in every other sentence in a cutscene. It would be good for the devs to take a look at this problem as well when they go back to investigate the scene trigger bugs/problems.

I welcome anyone from the community to share additional thoughts/suggestions in relation to this topic so Larian can know how to best address this issue before the game ships out of early access.

Last edited by RACKET75; 01/03/21 03:32 AM.
veteran
veteran
Where are wands?

S
stranger
stranger
S
In a game where at the very least one playthrough will involve save scumming to get the best outcomes in conversations, the skip button must not be the same button as the button to accept the first dialogue option. Especially when pressing spacebar one time too often is punished with such loading times. There needs to be an option to skip a line that does not risk picking an option inadvertently.

Make "skip dialogue line" and "accept dialogue option" two different buttons.

stranger
stranger
Will there be an romantic relationship with characters other than companions?

M
stranger
stranger
M
Finally giving this game another go as I have the energy and there have been some big patches. Still very fun but my enjoyment of combat is severely hampered by UI wonkiness. Sorry if this stuff has been brought up, didn't see it listed.

There are a lot of problems with 'linked' turns/'linked' initiative. What I am referring to is how, if multiple player-controlled characters have their turns in a row, you can select and move any of them in any order. In theory a nice QoL thing to let you do cool tactical stuff. However, the game is REALLY BAD about figuring out who still needs to act in this case. If you don't notice the linked turns and just take one or two char's turns then hit end turn, the game will almost always skip the turns of one or more of the chars who had 'linked' turns but hadn't moved or acted. Please either fix this bug so that the game never ends the turn for a char unless you specifically select that char and hit end turn, or (at least in the meantime) provide an option to completely disable linked turns and force all characters to take their turns one at a time in initiative order, even if multiple PC-controlled chars are able to act in a row. Seriously, having to painstakingly micromanage my chars to ensure their turns don't get skipped is very annoying, I would rather have to move them all 1 at a time.

Pathing is sometimes different from what the game shows. For example, I hover a unit's path and see they will move down a ladder (or fly down the wall by the ladder) and then attack the goblin at the bottom, so I click, and instead the unit goes running off through a door and then ends their movement in a different room nowhere near anyone, because apparently they were actually trying to run out the door of the building and go all the way around it instead of taking the ladder/flying down like the pathing display showed. This is obviously really annoying as it can easily screw up your plans/force a reload.
In a similar vein, it can sometimes be really difficult to get a character to just walk up and attack an enemy instead of trying to run around to the side or behind them, taking opportunity attacks all along the way.

I would really love to have a grid system instead of this free distance based one. No idea if it is possible to do this, I am guessing it would require a bunch of different coding than currently exists.
My main issue with the free movement system is that it can be really hard to 'eyeball' and see if there is room for a character to fit into a space in melee with an enemy when there are other characters or obstacles nearby. For example, I position a character by an enemy and think there is room for another character to get to that enemy, but it turns out there was just a hair too little space and I wasted a bunch of movement/turns. Or, even more annoying, a (medium sized) enemy hits a char in melee, but on that char's turn they are somehow both out of melee range and don't have enough room to get into melee range because of an ally on one side and a random rock on the other (yet the monster could still attack them!). A grid system would solve a lot of this.
Assuming that is not possible as an option at this stage, maybe you could add some kind of melee position display that could be optionally turned on and allow you preview characters in melee positions at specific points around an enemy that will then allow you to see which positions around that enemy are available/will be available if your character moves to the previewed point. Like how it shows an outline of the character in melee when you have a melee attack selected and hover over an enemy in range, except it also displays the other 'available' positions around that enemy as additional outlined chars, showing what spaces remain available if your character goes to the currently displayed space.

stranger
stranger
Guess I'll copy my list to this forum as well smile

* Get a "mark several items" tickbox choice in inventory!! laugh I find now that this is my biggest issue by far, having to single-click every item when selling or sending to camp. All those rows of Goblin bows could be much more enjoyable if you could click them all and send/sell at the same time.

* Edge-panning and camera focus. I think I had this same issue with D:OS 2. I love edge-panning and feel it's the natural way to explore a game like this, but after every dialogue or interaction, the camera locks back on my character, and I can't use the mouse for edge-panning until I "unlock" the camera with WASD or similar. A bit annoying, but maybe there's a reason for this.

* Too many empty containers. I realize it may be "realistic" that many of the containers you search turn out to be empty, but it kinda lowers your spirit when 90% of the containers are empty. Maybe make less interactive containers instead? Or maybe I'm wrong.

* Having to click twice for casting spells with no target. It feels unnecessary and counterintuitive to have to target spells that can only target yourself. Is this something that was present in the D:OS games as well? Maybe there's a reason for it, but it annoys me (champagne problems).

* Party management in camp. Maybe this will be implemented in the full game, but it's a bit annoying to have to talk to every party member to dismiss and re-hire another one, maybe just add a panel where you can choose your party formation (maybe this even exists but isn't active in the EA). Also, maybe make it possible to send items to people who aren't in your party while at camp, you're pretty close to the other guys.

* Movement on ladders: It feels a bit ridiculous that it costs zero action points to climb up a 20 meter high ladder, while moving two steps to the side does? :p Maybe this is a compromise, so characters won't get stuck in ladders mid-combat. Although, that would be pretty cool, being able to shoot people off of ladders.

* The waiting times during combat (plotting next move) should preferrably be shortened. I don't know if this has to do with my processor or something, but sometimes the combats become almost unbearably slow.

* Backstab: The backstab feature in this game feels very boring and meaningless, maybe this is because of adopting to DnD rules, but I much preferred the D:OS way, where Wolgraff could sneak behind them in the backstab cone and do insane damage laugh All hail Wolgraff!!

* Pause between lines in NPC dialogue: When two NPC's have overhead dialogues, I feel that the pause between line and answer often is too long. I often wonder if the dialogue is over, or if they have a comeback line, and it doesn't feel natural.

* Hit percents: Sometimes I can get two different hit percents on the same target depending or where I put the pointer? And seemingly with no difference in movement or such. Bug?

* Vendor sorting: Could we have a specific screen for things we've sold, and one with the vendor's original items? I feel I get the same clotter as in D:OS where all my crappy items flood the vendor list, making it hard to see anything worth buying. Or at least make all items stackable? Like, twenty Goblin Scimitars in one slot.

* Camera in the Underdark: Seems a bit broken, although somewhat cool bugs smile Characters walking seemingly on air and my main char walking seemingly under the ground. The camera in the game is a pretty big problem overall, though I guess it's always hard to get good camera with this "fake 3D" and vertical zooming.

* Seasick while trading: Sometimes I get the character cinematics (heads moving) behind the vendor interface, and it makes me a bit nauseous/unfocused. I also had the pleasure of my beard blowing powerfullly in the wind while attending that smith vendor in the Grove laugh Kinda cool, but distracting and annoying for me.

* The good old Larian problem: The neverending repeated overhead voices xP It gets a little better with each game, but still there are some situations where my brain is melted by repeated lines :p Maybe turn down the occurence another 50%, or maybe just play them once smile Or at least with a looong time between.

All in all, a complete lovely game, of course, and keep the great work up! laugh /Gustav in Sweden

Last edited by PutinWithAnimals; 16/03/21 09:37 PM.
stranger
stranger
It would be nice if having a particular companion didn't override or shorten the dialogues from the other companions in camp. Currently, if I want to hear the extended dialogues from the other companions during the "illness" scene then I need to either kill Lae'zel or not recruit her at all. Additionally, having Shadowheart around overrides potential dialogues from every other companion after the second (third?) Illithid dream.

While it's easy to simply avoid recruiting her, it's not so easy to reject her when she turns up at camp in a seemingly dire situation. To have to do this just to hear what the other companions have to say during these sequences is pretty unpleasant.

After the second dream, it would be nice to choose which companion we want to talk to even if we only get to talk to one due to the nature of the conversation rather than the presence of one companion overriding everyone else.

I love the game overall, but I do feel like how dialogues take priority does need some tweaking.

Last edited by Aesir23; 21/03/21 12:29 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Disallowing users to sell inventory for free: Idk if it's just Arron the Druid Merchant who allows this, but in the Barter Screen, if you put items to sell and press the Symbols of Justice image before you press "Barter," you have just given away your stuff for free.

Original Sin 2 didn't allow you to do the above which was great. I know BG3 doesn't have to be like OS 2, but maybe a warning pop-up would help fools like me that make mistakes?

Page 36 of 41 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard