Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I think that Larian needs it implement better party EXP gains for using their skills, especially when used in dialogues to find non-combat solutions to situations. For example when you encounter the Gimblebock at the ruins. Go straight up murder hobo and you'll get 70 exp for killing the NPCs. However if you use your skills AND pass your skill checks during the dialogue, you can resolve the situation without combat, but the party only receives 10 exp. In an actual D&D game a DM should be awarding balanced experience for both combat and non-combat solutions.

The game feels very lopsided when the players are seemingly only rewarded for being violent, and given breadcrumbs for being resourceful.

apprentice
apprentice
Totally agree, make your way out of something without combat should award at least the same XP than combat.

In DOS2 this is a very important flaw of the game, if you talk your way out of all the situations you can , you end being underleveled. Hope Larian dont make the same mistake again.

As a side note, when i'm DM of any game i always reward more XP for solve things peacifully either by rolls or by good interpretation. And as far as i know many people do just that. So i call it a very common mechanic or unwritten rule of a RPG

apprentice
apprentice
+1

journeyman
journeyman
Agreed, I made a post on this and it REALLY needs to be emphisied.

L
L
Absolutely agree, otherwise it disincentives non-combat solutions.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Completely agree. Offering more XP for the violent solutions de-incentivizes players to roleplay and pick the method their party would use and instead go the meta-violent route as to stay leveled.

O
stranger
stranger
O
I completely agree, the game shouldn't only reward killing everyone. As it stands, players that choose non-violent solutions to encounter are penalized by missing out on XP they need.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Olack
I completely agree, the game shouldn't only reward killing everyone. As it stands, players that choose non-violent solutions to encounter are penalized by missing out on XP they need.

agree x1000

journeyman
journeyman
How about Xp for solving an encounter.

It's like the milestone method, but in a small scale so you can progress less or more depending if you get to certain encounters or not.

That way wether you kill everything in an encounter or lie your way through you get the same amount.

No xp for killing if the encounter was solved in another way.

Last edited by malks; 09/10/20 11:30 AM.
addict
addict
I'm very surprised it's not in the game already, with all the focus on creative problem solving, multitude of viable approaches both systemic and scripted, the "n+1" problem resolution philosophy... It just discourages the player from any kind of creative/clever/skill-based solutions and pushes them towards murderhoboing. Now, I don't think murderhoboing should be actively punished, but it shouldn't be "meta"/an obviously superior solution to every encounter. BG1/2 weren't perfect in this regard, but they generally did a good job of rewarding various playstyles.

Link Copied to Clipboard