Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Katarsi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
The Nine Hells of Baator are a popular place, I get it. But tieflings can originate from the Abyss as well. Just because it has 666 levels instead of just 9, it doesn't mean they're not legit Outsiders, you know?
If you've already brought so much variety into the game, why not include demonic heritage? As far as the lore goes, cambions and tieflings originate from demons much more often. Hellish Resistance could apply to both.
What I'm trying to say is...I really like the prospect of tiefling's dual nature, but I really, really dislike baatezu. Devils are too scheming and controlling for my taste, and I prefer the chaotic, passionate nature of their demonic counterparts.
Both are evil, yes, but they wouldn't be at each other's throats for eternity in Blood Wars if they were entirely the same. That's a human thing, after all.

So...a demonic tiefling subrace? Please?

Last edited by Katarsi; 09/10/20 12:24 PM.

Survivor of Cania
journeyman
journeyman
during the spell plague (you'll note an aweful lot of stupid bits of FR lore start with "during the spell plague") Asmodus became a god by consuming Azuth;s divine spark. his followers then did a ritual that claimed all teiflings in Faerun, no matter the herritage as "his infernal bloodline" absolutely stupid, the best I can figure is WOTC did this so they could eistablish a baseline of what teiflings looked like, but yeah... ABSOLUTELY stupid. FR is still recovering from the absolute rape that 4th edition did to the lore

apprentice
apprentice
There are a ton of tiefling subraces in p&p, hope they add some of them.

You have .. all the tipical subraces (3 are in the game already)
Winged tiefling variant (lose the per day spells and get wings)
Feral variant (change the +2 to cha for +2 to dex)
Abbysal tiefling (the spell list changes every day at random i think, and they get +1 con instead of the +1 int of asmodeus tiefling) (this is de demonic one)

And with the new tashas options .. .you can just change the bonus stats how you like, but i dont know if they will implement that.

Last edited by Akari; 09/10/20 12:34 PM.
stranger
stranger
I would really like to see that. Demonic tieflings are pretty cool

N
old hand
old hand
N
Archfey tieflings as well are missing.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Archfey is a warlock patron type, not a tiefling subrace. That being said, I hope by the release all the base player handbook stuff is added and anything from other sources like Xanathar's would be amazing.

addict
addict
Abyssal Tieflings are discarded Unearthed Arcana though, so I doubt they'll appear either in an official sourcebook or BG3. Unless they make some new revised version.

Katarsi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Akari

Abbysal tiefling (the spell list changes every day at random i think, and they get +1 con instead of the +1 int of asmodeus tiefling) (this is de demonic one)

And with the new tashas options .. .you can just change the bonus stats how you like, but i dont know if they will implement that.

I didn't know an Abyssal tiefling is already incorporated into the game. If so, yay! It should definitely be fully on par with Asmodeus tiefling.
It should also have some nice backstory we could adhere to, such as "they were a warrior in Blood Wars" or "they were summoned from the Abyss and then broke the spell that had bound them".

Originally Posted by BrianDavion
during the spell plague (you'll note an aweful lot of stupid bits of FR lore start with "during the spell plague") Asmodus became a god by consuming Azuth;s divine spark. his followers then did a ritual that claimed all teiflings in Faerun, no matter the herritage as "his infernal bloodline" absolutely stupid, the best I can figure is WOTC did this so they could eistablish a baseline of what teiflings looked like, but yeah... ABSOLUTELY stupid. FR is still recovering from the absolute rape that 4th edition did to the lore

I agree, it bloody IS stupid. And I could also add that the appearance of tieflings in BG3 leans more to cambion who have more fiendish blood. It's way too exaggerated. If they really insist on that look, they should have just named them cambion, instead of tiefling who possess way more human features. When I saw them for the first time, I thought "Ooh, I get to play as cambion!", and then I saw their racial title... There're just too many divergences from the lore.

Survivor of Cania
D
apprentice
apprentice
D

I certainly hope they do not implement the options from Tasha's. I like the fact that some races have inherent bonuses (and negatives in some cases!). Call me old school I suppose.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Meh, most of it was retconned anyways... as far as subraces go: I think they have to cut it off somewhere. I'd honestly rather have stuff like Genasi and Aasimar, then say winged Thieflings. Also, if you introduce winged subraces, you gotta do flying, which would be rather broken in a game with that much verticality... then again, that could mean Fey'ri and Avarien could be a thing too. wink

Nah, better not...

addict
addict
If you're gonna have tieflings, you gotta have Aasimars. They're basically on the opposite end of the spectrum. Give me Aasimar or give me death! frown

Katarsi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades
If you're gonna have tieflings, you gotta have Aasimars. They're basically on the opposite end of the spectrum. Give me Aasimar or give me death! frown

They could have done an aasimar follower! Imagine the shenanigans and banter if you play as tiefling laugh

Survivor of Cania
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Katarsi
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades

They could have done an aasimar follower! Imagine the shenanigans and banter if you play as tiefling laugh

Had that one in a TT campaign... it was even worse, actually, we also had a sun elf and Drow in the same group... didn't work out for long. wink

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Katarsi

I didn't know an Abyssal tiefling is already incorporated into the game. If so, yay! It should definitely be fully on par with Asmodeus tiefling.
It should also have some nice backstory we could adhere to, such as "they were a warrior in Blood Wars" or "they were summoned from the Abyss and then broke the spell that had bound them".

Unfortunately the Abyssal UA (Unearthed Arcana - Official Playtest Material), was never implemented and is pretty much assumed to be dead (the UA was released in 2015). Pity as it was fairly interesting (it gave you a semi-random cantrip and spell(s) after each long rest).
Personally I always wanted to play as a Yugoloth Tiefling (The Neutral Evil equivalent to Demon's Chaotic Evil and Devil's Lawful Evil), basically you're a Demonic Mercenary up for anything so long as the gold is right.

Katarsi Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by praxidicae

Unfortunately the Abyssal UA (Unearthed Arcana - Official Playtest Material), was never implemented and is pretty much assumed to be dead (the UA was released in 2015). Pity as it was fairly interesting (it gave you a semi-random cantrip and spell(s) after each long rest).
Personally I always wanted to play as a Yugoloth Tiefling (The Neutral Evil equivalent to Demon's Chaotic Evil and Devil's Lawful Evil), basically you're a Demonic Mercenary up for anything so long as the gold is right.

That's it. We need Yugoloth Tiefling. I don't know if it's possible to appreciate Larian more than I already do, but if they created an option like this, I'd make more room.

Survivor of Cania
enthusiast
enthusiast
Can always just play a Tiefling as you would a mercenary now you have a mercenary Tiefling that cares only for gold. Sure it's not demonic instead devilish but thats just schematics. The heart of 5e is your not bound to an alignment. Your choices create that, same with in game. You care nothing for gold, then choose dailogue options that reflect that. Ask for compensation as your doing things. If they don't cough it up, steal their shit!

yeah demonic tieflings would be pretty cool looking if down right, but as is often said. Foul bloods all look the same, and smell the same.

stranger
stranger

I agree with this entirely; I am disappointed to see that Feral Tiefling are not an option.

T
addict
addict
T
current official stance is that "tieflings" are explicitly devilish blooded....which would be just great....save the fact that we have nothing for demon-blooded or daemon-blooded now and I'm wondering how they plan to make such races without it being just "tiefling but different name" which is a problem I thought we did away with in 4e and 5e (where we finally got rid of a plethora of "paladin but different name" classes and prestige classes by just saying "paladins can be any alignment as long as it's close to their god's")

also I'm a bit annoyed with "all tieflings are horned and tailed, some have wings"....I LIKE the aesthetic...but I liked it better when tieflings had a wide range of physical appearances and some could pass for human pretty well

Last edited by Thrythlind; 21/10/20 01:20 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by WarBaby2

Meh, most of it was retconned anyways... as far as subraces go: I think they have to cut it off somewhere. I'd honestly rather have stuff like Genasi and Aasimar, then say winged Thieflings. Also, if you introduce winged subraces, you gotta do flying, which would be rather broken in a game with that much verticality... then again, that could mean Fey'ri and Avarien could be a thing too. wink

Nah, better not...

No man, Do the Planetouched Non-Humans.
I want less HuMaN pOtEnTiAl in my crazy hybrids and more..........literally anything else.

I am honestly hoping for Feral tieflings as one of my all time favorite pencil and paper characters was a Winged Tiefling monk. After seeing the Imps usage of fly, I immediately wanted to see the winged tiefling added... technically this could satisfy an abyssal background or "non-scheming" tiefling

Link Copied to Clipboard