Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
So just forwarning for those reading, this will have spoilers. I did not play the other baldur's gates, so this is purely feedback on this title.

The pacing of the story does not mix with how the mechanics of the game operate. I understand that the tabletop games emphasize resting at camp to "reload" your spells essentially, but in this game that mechanic kills the pacing of the storyline for me. We supposedly have these mind-melting tadpoles behind our eyes that we have to get out NOW - but lets rest after every fight to make sure our spells are reloaded for the next one, we need a whole day at least.

every time.

I have essentially wasted a week's time now according to the game's timeline to 'rest' at camp, and it's completely killed any sense of urgency or investment I have in the story of my infection. I don't care about it anymore. And I don't think thats a thing that should be felt in an RPG - the story should be the driving force, but when I am now shown that there's no urgency I have no investment. And the having-to-rest-at-camp mechanic, while neat, I feel like is made to happen way too often. I'm only in the starting area and I've had to "rest" at camp after every encounter to make sure my spells are reloaded.

I would appreciate it if there was just a button after the encounter to re-set spells, or even better yet just make it automatic, because I really get taken out of the story/world when I have to rest at camp after every fight just to get my spells recharge. Sometimes I want to go back to camp to talk to people, sure. But not after every single encounter. I just want to recharge my spells.

Anyway, that's my feedback. Like I said, I haven't played the older titles, this is just my fresh take on a RPG in development.

stranger
stranger
In DnD, this mechanic is always debated and stressed over by DMs. One suggestion is always to just give some sort of tradeoff when resting, and make it apparent to the player. It would be really interesting if there were consequences to resting excessively. It's still early access, so maybe Larian has something in the works for this.

Spoiler:
As for the tadpole, it seems like the diminshing of urgency is done on purpose. One night, talking to the mage character, he mentions that it's day 2 and we should be seeing the effects of the metamorphosis by now, and is confused as to why we are not.

Another way to deal with resting too often is choosing WHERE you are resting. If you hit the long rest button in a dungeon, maybe the terrain should be different, maybe even taking place in the dungeon itself, so you would need to find a defensible position. And then you could have monsters in the dungeon try and ambush you as you rest. This would add an element of danger to resting.

You could also make resting have penalties from your companions themselves. They could call you out for resting too much, saying you are wasting time, and maybe even refusing to adventure with you further and leaving the party.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Feist
In DnD, this mechanic is always debated and stressed over by DMs. One suggestion is always to just give some sort of tradeoff when resting, and make it apparent to the player. It would be really interesting if there were consequences to resting excessively. It's still early access, so maybe Larian has something in the works for this.

Spoiler:
As for the tadpole, it seems like the diminshing of urgency is done on purpose. One night, talking to the mage character, he mentions that it's day 2 and we should be seeing the effects of the metamorphosis by now, and is confused as to why we are not.

Another way to deal with resting too often is choosing WHERE you are resting. If you hit the long rest button in a dungeon, maybe the terrain should be different, maybe even taking place in the dungeon itself, so you would need to find a defensible position. And then you could have monsters in the dungeon try and ambush you as you rest. This would add an element of danger to resting.

You could also make resting have penalties from your companions themselves. They could call you out for resting too much, saying you are wasting time, and maybe even refusing to adventure with you further and leaving the party.

all of these sound like potentially great methods for making spamming the rest function less ideal. and as for the spoiler, yes I got to that part but it still doesn't change the fact that now i feel like all the buildup was for nothing, ya know?

stranger
stranger
This is one of my complaints. Resting at camp messes with the narrative flow of the story. I get it and understand it, but there were times in camp where I didn't want to go to camp because it felt like I would get pulled into a story hook that I didn't feel my PC was ready for just yet in game.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Arthellion
This is one of my complaints. Resting at camp messes with the narrative flow of the story. I get it and understand it, but there were times in camp where I didn't want to go to camp because it felt like I would get pulled into a story hook that I didn't feel my PC was ready for just yet in game.

glad im not the only one feeling like this for the narrative.

journeyman
journeyman
I like it how it is. Don't be adding arbitrary time limits to the game please.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I don't think arbitrary is the right term. The in-universe situation is that we should have a time limit, but for mysterious reasons we either don't, or have one which is so long that it might as well not exist. That's the arbitrary part.

S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Silent Cetra
I like it how it is. Don't be adding arbitrary time limits to the game please.

I'm not asking for a timer - I'm asking for us to be able to recharge our spells without having to "spend a day" if our characters are supposedly in a time-sensitive situation. it feels off. like "oh god we have a bomb in our heads... but lets take a nap".

Link Copied to Clipboard