Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gothfather
Yeah you should look in your book because in the MM it is CR2.

You are so dead set in see in this game as an unfaithful sequel that you automatically see everything in the worse light and you WILL switch your position to maintain your belief that this game is not "really" BG3. So much so that when shown your position is wrong instead of going to the source you'd rather take some non official source because it agrees with you.

Maybe, but this time I simply reverenced the wrong DM material (which, at some point WAS official, mind you), sue me. wink

...and I don't have to fudge proof that the game is unfaithful to the source material, there is enough evidence for that already.

Last edited by WarBaby2; 09/10/20 06:41 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Intellect Devourer - Challenge 2 (450 XP) but the ones in BG3 are missing their Devour Intellect & Body Thief abilities so I would drop them several CRs so maybe CR 1/2?

D
old hand
old hand
D
Originally Posted by Gothfather
Originally Posted by WarBaby2
Originally Posted by Kurzzi
I'm not sure what class your main character was, but mine was a pathetic wizard who stupidly thought I might get away with picking more situational cantrips so when I went up against 3 intellect devourers with just a wizard on low ground and a trickery cleric it took me a couple of tries to get lucky and not have my shit pushed in, so I had the alternative situation in feeling like CR was skewed in such a way that it generally screwed me over, and when I got to the underdark the minotaurs and dwarves forced me to swap out gale who I liked more, because wizards were just not effective enough in combat to even begin to handle shit that really shoulda been higher than "level 4" according to CR

Drow ranger - one shot, one kill per round from a hidden position on the ledge... they didn't even reach Shadowheart, who was standing on the ground floor as bait. Still, they each took about 10-15 or so damage to take down and awarded 10XP. Hardly a CR7 creature.

Originally Posted by Demoulius
Dont know where you are getting your info from but an intellect devourer is most defenitly NOT a CR7 challenge. A quick google search gave me this: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Intellect_devourer

Which shows a CR of 2. And the monster isent using its abilites. Which can be explained by the presence of the tadpols. Maybe they are just trying to disable us rather then kill us to prevent us from getting away.

From the official 5e SRD... but I could get my books real quick, if you prefer. wink
https://www.5esrd.com/gamemastering...type/aberrations/intellect-devourer-3pp/

Yeah you should look in your book because in the MM it is CR2.

You are so dead set in see in this game as an unfaithful sequel that you automatically see everything in the worse light and you WILL switch your position to maintain your belief that this game is not "really" BG3. So much so that when shown your position is wrong instead of going to the source you'd rather take some non official source because it agrees with you.

He/she admitted that they made an error roughly 15 minutes before you replied tho?

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Demoulius
A CR and a lvl are not the same though.

A CR3 creature alone would be a challenge for a lvl 3 party. Mind you circumstances like high ground or suprise can play a very big role in succes or failure.

That's a common misconception, and the reason why I vastly prefer using XP, rather than CR when designing encounters.
What you are saying is true, although challenge, should rather be a "challenge". CR 3 is a medium level encounter for 3rd level party, party can succeed in iirc 7 medium encounters per rest, meaning that encounter is challenging when you've literally burnt through all your spells, and are on your last legs. Names of the encounter tiers are misleading as well. Trivial, easy, and medium are trivial for rested party. Hard is what you would expect from easy-medium encounter for a rested party. Deadly encounter, now we are talking. A fully rested party can take about two deadly encounters, meaning you can easily strech it to double, even triple the XP treshold of a deadly encounter assuming the party is optimised, and they have the advantage in the form of surprise, and high ground.

With that in mind, the 4 members big party of level 3, can actually beat the CR 6, maybe 7. An example of those CRs are white, green or black dragons (young dragons), or a mindflayer :p

Last edited by Bearhugger; 10/10/20 03:01 PM.
P
stranger
stranger
P
My issue isn’t about sticking to enemy stats or CR it’s that every fight means you have to fight tooth and nail to win. Not every fight in a campaign should be as hard as possible for your level. The game is balanced like divinity in that it makes me feel I should long rest and fully heal after every encounter.

Changing monsters and their stats are fine but the developers should perhaps look at how DnD encounters are balanced and take into account that there are less rests and healing than in Divinity. (I love divinity by the way, but I want to play a 5e video game in BG3 and encounters should reflect 5e)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard