Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I think Familiars should be more important.
Permanent Familiars to choose, follow and obey your master forever to death.
Some ideas: Dialog options, More uses, stronger over time, unlock new skills..
After all, they are servants linked to their masters in all stories.

But only temporary invocation options to choose from at any time? no connection? (like Divinity)... SO boring cry

[Linked Image]

addict
addict
One thing is for sure, in the tabletop familiars can remain for years if they are not destroyed, so Wizards do not need to spend a spell slot everyday to summon it.

BUT it cost 100 GP per cast.

I would prefer BG3 use the official rule (for the Wizard) : if the player is careful, the familiar lives on after a Long Rest but, if it dies, re-casting cost 100 GP. 100 GP is easy to pay after selling a few random stuff found.

Last edited by Baraz; 09/10/20 03:22 PM.
veteran
Online Content
veteran
I definitely agree familiars should be permanent. Even if Larian doesn't want to take on the extra cost of giving them voice actors and dialogue, they could at least give them some kind of characterization, which could help make the pact of the chain feel unique and cool.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I definitely agree familiars should be permanent. Even if Larian doesn't want to take on the extra cost of giving them voice actors and dialogue, they could at least give them some kind of characterization, which could help make the pact of the chain feel unique and cool.

+1

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in BG2, if I remember correctly. You got one of 9 familiars when you summoned it, based on your alignment. You had it for the whole game unless it died, and then you could summon another one, I believe. You could talk to it and ask it things or tell it to do things. You could bully it if you were an evil character. The only drawback was that if it died, you'd permanently lose 1 point of Constitution.

stranger
stranger
While I partially agree with this, as familiars are supposed to exist basically forever when you cast the spell, until they perish, or you dismiss them, remember, in d&d 5e, Find Familiar is only a level 1 spell. Familiar's can't talk in most cases, unless you're a warlock with a specific build (Something the game doesn't have implmented, you need to be a chain warlock to get special familiars that are capabale of. speech and more complex tasks)

I do agree that familiars should be able to do more things however, as what they can do as of now is rather...lacking. Most of them have the ability to attack, which I think should be removed, as in 5e, Familiar's specifically cannot do this. What they can do is deliver touch spells, something which would be very interesting to see if they could incoperate into tha game.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by Kingslayer
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in BG2, if I remember correctly. You got one of 9 familiars when you summoned it, based on your alignment. You had it for the whole game unless it died, and then you could summon another one, I believe. You could talk to it and ask it things or tell it to do things. You could bully it if you were an evil character. The only drawback was that if it died, you'd permanently lose 1 point of Constitution.

This

C
C
+1

Familiars are definitely not acting like DnD ones in the game right now

stranger
stranger
This would be nice, especially for the warlock with the chain focus.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Originally Posted by CamKitty
+1

Familiars are definitely not acting like DnD ones in the game right now

Yep frown
Originally Posted by The Techpriest
This would be nice, especially for the warlock with the chain focus.

This
I hope they also add the other Familiars of the Warlock.

Link Copied to Clipboard