Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
... if they are not in some kind of forbidden library or something. That makes no sense. Ever been to a place that has books where reading them was not allowed? Stealing them should be punished, but reading not!

[Linked Image]

D
D
I kind of get this one to a small degree. Yeah some people wouldn't mind if they left a book out and someone they didn't know picked it up and started reading it, but some would most certainly mind and probably be offended that you didn't ask. Although it is weird the attack option isn't red, too.

apprentice
apprentice
What puzzled me is just it? The attack option is "attack the book" 🤣

Anyway, if someone walk into my room and start ramdon reading my books I would be I little surprise at least, more if it's a complete stranger so I don't see any reason why read someone books should be free in the start (of course if you have some relation with the npc this can change)

D
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
D
Originally Posted by kharneth
What puzzled me is just it? The attack option is "attack the book" 🤣

Anyway, if someone walk into my room and start ramdon reading my books I would be I little surprise at least, more if it's a complete stranger so I don't see any reason why read someone books should be free in the start (of course if you have some relation with the npc this can change)

If I don't want people to walk into my room, I lock the door. And then you already break the law by picking the lock or destroying the door.

But if you're invited at someones house and there is a book on the table that is clearly not personal, I don't think the owner would mind if you look at it.

old hand
old hand
I said this in the steam forums but here is my idea on books:

Books are boring and you dont "get" anything from it. one, or the other, or both for interest and reward, but right now I have no incentive to ever read one again.

I enjoyed Musharib scrap in a next, a toa call out and I was like hey, used him as a guide to take over hrakhamar with my players. Was a fun little easter egg.

But if you compare it to say, Morrowind, we have some problemos. Morrowind is probably the best example of reading stuff that was pretty wild. Reading about dwemer and going into their areas and understanding why it looks like everyone just...vanished...really added to the feeling of the areas.

even carrot on the stick stuff where you read Volo's Guide to Monsters P1-10 and there are maps to areas you have to dig for treasure, little trinkets hes accidentally left like a ring or an amulet, +1 to history & arcana skill checks, etc... that are just little fun things to go do that take you to a cool area you might not otherwise have found.

At this point im mainly annoyed when I accidentally loot one and have to find it to throw it away.

Marking books as {read} as a global modifier (all copies of that book, anywhere, are read) should also be present, same way chests say {empty}.

I feel like companies feel they are being unprofessional by doing like a cheesy bobblin the goblin drawing in a book instead of what an amused DM might tell you what is in there on the spot. I actually like thinking "I wish I had the job of the guy who got to make all these stupid goblin drawings, theyre amazing"

And lore drop stuff is really easy in D&D. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/ there, now everyone can know everything. That and Mr. Rhexx on youtube.

Its cool lore, there is infinite of it, and speaking as a DM, it gives me plot idea, side quests for people. For instance, they went through a town where the whole place was abandoned and looked like it had been put into rows and columns grid and slid around. Later they found out that during the spellplague, portions of abeir and toril got swapped, and they realized portions of this town are from another planet. Cool journal to find. It doesnt even have to do anything, but in the planescape series a big part of the game is finding somewhere weird, sometimes being able to do something with it, but always getting a little "huh, neat!" tidbit from it.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
stranger
stranger

If you pick it up then drop it it's no longer a stolen book.

There's another issue with reading books that I find punishing: when you close the book it closes your inventory, too. So you have to open your inventory screen again to read another book. Say you pick up 3 books and start reading them, you have to keep re-opening your inventory screen each time you close a book. I'd rather that just stay open if I'm reading the book from my inventory.

stranger
stranger
While starting a fight over reading a public book is too extreme, I want to share a compromise.

When Larian wants a book to be bad, just damage the reader with a saving throw against Intelligence.
Just like in college, when you are not smart enough for a certain book, you get a painful headache! smile

F
addict
addict
F
"The book devil isn't real, it can't hurt you."

#JusticeForKarlach

Petition to save Karlach: https://www.change.org/p/justice-for-karlach
stranger
stranger
Another annoying thing about books is if you're in your inventory screen and you read one, when you close the book you're taken out of the inventory screen. Annoying if you want to read through a number of items.

Raised by Necromancers, zombie outbreak survivor, coding & technology geek and chaos monkey.

"Raising a family is hard. Unless they're buried close together"
journeyman
journeyman
One idea I'd like to see is a codex that can be expanded by reading books.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, unless it's a private journal, with important information regarding some quest, reading should not be an illegal action.

Banned
Banned
I can get behind it that some literature is privat.

You are no Druid so why you stick your nose in what Halsin has written down for example.
But this mass-literature out in the open?
Oh well - then again someone officially owns these books.

Realism vs Fun?
But then we just crouch down with good timing and read them anyway.

E
E
I think that books should offer something and complete collections give some kind of knowledge bonus. That would make sense.

M
M
Agree, i would prefer if reading could add a little more to the gameplay, some collections could add knowledge bonuses and letters/books/diaries maybe could add modifiers to some dialogue roll checks (easier to convince somebody if we find a letter/diary explaning the background of her/his motive for example), maybe reading about monsters can add a small modifier when figthing against them
Yes, please dont close inventory after reading a book, maybe can we switch between the readable items?

E
E
I like the idea of having a compendium and the more complete, the more information you get to see in the monsters. Also, having knowledge skills in your group, could add to that info. It makes sense that reading or having knowledge skill help you identify creatures and know about their resistances.

B
B
This is actually a good point, reading should not be considered a criminal offense. Even if you did it irl it would just be considered rude at most, nothing that anyone's going to start a fight over.

I also like the idea of having some books give (temporary or permanent) bonuses. They should definitely include rare, difficult-to-get books that boost an ability point, like in the first Baldur's Gate.

G
stranger
stranger
G
What I hate is one interesting looking book sitting right near a vendor, then the vendor didn't have the book for sale.

Originally Posted by Gumbyfan
While starting a fight over reading a public book is too extreme, I want to share a compromise.

When Larian wants a book to be bad, just damage the reader with a saving throw against Intelligence.
Just like in college, when you are not smart enough for a certain book, you get a painful headache! smile

I collect books and display them in camp. You touch them, I'm going to have to sacrfice you to lolth.

Link Copied to Clipboard