Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jess Offline OP
Larian Alumni
OP Offline
Larian Alumni
[Linked Image]

We’re back with the third hotfix today, addressing a few crash scenarios that definitely aren’t supposed to happen. We also have for you a Frankenstein amalgamation of crowd-sourced character creation, and boy does it look boring!

Firstly, yesterday as a joke we asked you to send us a 3080, because they were too popular for us to buy one (which prevented us from testing those cards internally before launch - all fixed now!). Quite a few of you reached out with sincere requests for how to do that. That was very sweet, thank you for those messages. Keep them! They’re yours.
Besides, without your graphics card, how are you going to play BG3?

Before the fixes, let’s share something you’ve created yourselves (this is your own fault) through your choices in character creation. We took the most popular choices in character creation, and recreated this. We thought our analytics system wasn’t working! We checked. It is.

[Linked Image]

Congratulations, you’ve basically made the default Vault Dweller. What the hell guys. We gave you demon eyes, horns, and even tails. We are sorely disappointed. Go crazy. We worked hard on this!

We’ve got a lot more analytics that run in the background. We’ll share more insights and data in the next Community Update, but for now, you should know that it’s not just bug reports that help us solve issues and improve the game, we have a system of anonymous analytics running in the background that show us a lot about how the game is played, and thus how we can improve it. Simply playing BG3 makes it better for you now, and everyone else in the future.

One important thing this hotfix has solved is the resolution upon the death of Gale. Those who’ve let Gale die may have found that an important item is missing, which is required. That’s back! So, which was it? "K'ha'trach'ash'ssji", "K'ha'ash'ssji'trach", or the easier to pronounce “K'ha'ssji'trach'ash”? Only Gale lovers will know.

Also, we fixed an error where people were stealing from merchants by directly equipping the stolen items out of their inventory. Hubris! It’s in the title!

We still currently recommend you play the game on DX11 mode if you experience frequent crashing, or graphical errors. But they should be reduced now. The next big patch will include a host of fixes for cinematics and animation as well as UI glitches, and a community update diving into the game’s launch.

Don’t forget to read the EULA wink
Better the Devil you do know, eh.

FAQ attached here, updated with new workarounds and known issues: https://larian.com/support/baldur-s-gate-3

Fixes attached y’all:

• Fix for crash related to showing a move preview with an AoO when in combat.
  • Fix for crash related to surfaces requiring concentration.
  • Fix for crash related to drag and drop of items in the trade inventory.
  • Gale's Scroll of Resurrection is now correctly added to the player's inventory.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Nice, another fast fixes! I hope as soon as you sort out the technical stuff, you'll adress gameplay issues, that majority of the community would love to be reworked/removed. smile

Last edited by Niya; 09/10/20 07:54 PM.
stranger
stranger
I know you did work hard to implement the character creator. The face capture is really cool and adds some depth to the character creator. The problem is that your character creator is still very shallow as it stands. You did give us horns....for the tiefling (and tails). The demon eyes are cool, but it might be telling that people aren't taking the time to peruse these option because we are testing the game. If I could give my elf a beard and some horns I would. I'd even slap deer antlers on their head if that was an option. One day I also hope to be able to make my elf fat and short too. Or make my female Drow so chiseled she would place first in a bodybuilding competition.

The character creation LOOKs amazing. It is beautiful. The number of hair style blew me away. I was floored as that never happens. As I stated before, the face capture is amazing. More of that please. I love seeing the humanity in these humanoids. Just don't chastise us for not picking these "cool" options when they are only available in one place for one race. Also people reaaaallly like Elves.

Banned
Banned
maybe you over estimated how many people actually want to play tiefliings?

Originally Posted by tsundokugames

I think the "issue" is probably mostly that races have very specific stat bonuses and classes are stat-dependent. So basically, why play a Tiefling unless you want to play a Warlock? Sure you could also go Wizard, or Fighter if you take the Zariel variant, but then you can just as well play a human and get 3 additional stat bonuses. It's either that, our build your character sub-optimally

apprentice
apprentice
I think the only solution here is to train the analytic system to identify boring characters, and let the game automatically reject them when a user wants to lock them in, and also immediately shuffle all their values around. grin

I cannot change this name anymore, please send help.
The avatar is created by an AI called midjourney, and it is done so by essentially typing text, pretty dope, huh?
F
stranger
stranger
F
I would have totally made a kobold or a minotaur if they were available! I went with a Female dwarf with a beard instead! lets get even more races please and thanks! Also keep up the great work you are doing I love it so far!

old hand
old hand
I'm looking forward to the next community update, I'm curious what the aales across platforms has been like.

stranger
stranger
That sounded extremely rude, Larian. Let people make who they want.

Elf Cleric for Hire! I only accept gold or compliments to my healing. Doubting me costs EXTRA.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Khorvale
Originally Posted by tsundokugames

I think the "issue" is probably mostly that races have very specific stat bonuses and classes are stat-dependent.

Optional racial features, like free skill training and armor-weapon proficiences ( Armor for dwarves, perception and swords and bows for elves, sneak for halflings, etc ) darkvision, free spell-like abilities or free spells like the ones the gith and high elves get, features like the superb halfling "lucky" have, etc etc usually outclass the stats of the humans for most of the builds; since humans have none.

I think choosing human is more a rpg/preference decision, because mechanically usually there are races better suited for your class.

Last edited by _Vic_; 09/10/20 09:46 PM.
stranger
stranger
I've seen some of my friends make the greatest looking dwarves and tieflings (although some have their fingers crossed for orcs being available in the future)! Absolutely LOVE being able to play more than just a human in an RPG.

I'm excited to see what else the character creator will offer in the future!!! biggrin

journeyman
journeyman
Human has always been the majority choice in RPGs the metrics has been known for a while. I recall well over 80% of all dragon age origin characters where human. Which is why Dragon age 2 was human only. Bioware learned that when given a choice people pick human, when not given a choice more people will scream blue murder and claim up and down that they always play X race and number of people claiming this surpasses the number of all non human races played combined, let alone their claimed chosen race.

apprentice
apprentice
So does this mean that Gale doesn't show up in camp in his skivvies anymore (if he got mad at you and left)? I mean the guy is ripped for a mage but its getting kind of embarrassing when your are trying to sleep and he's... just... there. in the background. Not pleasant dreams. ;-)

addict
addict
Praying for more performance-related fixes. cry

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Khorvale
I think the "issue" is probably mostly that races have very specific stat bonuses and classes are stat-dependent. So basically, why play a Tiefling unless you want to play a Warlock? Sure you could also go Wizard, or Fighter if you take the Zariel variant, but then you can just as well play a human and get 3 additional stat bonuses. It's either that, our build your character sub-optimally

Except that almost no classes can make much use out of those extra 3 stat bonuses, and humans get absolutely nothing else of value, so it is at least a little strange that human is the most picked.

stranger
stranger
my vault dweller is differant!
its a half elf instead of straight human.

yeah sorry the rest is basically identical..

but hey, im going to do another character since i have clear the entire first map now.
then i might buy Divinity OS II, and play that untill more is avilable in BG3:EA.

oh and btw, you might want to look into the telepathic pull tadpole power, right positioning it is a guaranteed one shot vs some bosses.

H
G
apprentice
apprentice
G
I am happy to hear that people prefer grounded characters. Nothing is special and unique when everything is special and unique, this is the great failing of Pathfinder, most MMO's and the growing direction of D&D. I have to be honest, the tremendous number of Tieflings in that starter town doesn't bother me, but the fact that they are just plain humans who look different does. I found that to be pretty uninteresting.

Any time you write a character, you need to ask why it can't be a human. If you can't justify it, you're making the special race you chose less interesting as a whole.

Fantasy works best when the consumer's perspective is given some normalcy to explore an abnormal world. When the consumer, be it reader, viewer, or player is already the most special and unique thing about the setting, there's nothing terribly interesting left to tell as far as a story goes. That's why grounded protagonists are better, and why you're going to see more grounded characters.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Hey wondering if GOG is behind with updates as I cannot locate the 3rd hotfix on the galaxy installer?

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
Originally Posted by Spiros
Hey wondering if GOG is behind with updates as I cannot locate the 3rd hotfix on the galaxy installer?

It was like 2 hours behind with the announcement for me, yes. But it's up now.

M
M
Nothing bland about my character.....the only issue with me is that way too many of my RPG characters are red-headed women wink. Maybe its an addiction or some such?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MarcHicks; 10/10/20 06:27 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard