Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Lets be realistic, how many people are really abiding by the honor system with encounters requiring checks so that they aren't just saying and reloading every other second till it goes their way. It really makes the game a bit more of a grind than it has to be restarting every few minutes. I feel like a straight stat check (you either have it or you don't) or a faster save and load feature would greatly improve the playability of the game. Yes, I realize this may make some people cringe but does rolling a virtual dice really do it for anyone? At the very least just make the dice rolls optional (like a classic game mode) along with a straight stat check. I feel improving the situation from where it stands now would lead to a far more enjoyable and accessible experience.

veteran
veteran
I've genuinely been enjoying the rolling a lot and have abided by the rolls I've gotten. I think seeing the die adds an extra bit of tension that I like a lot and adds to the tabletop feeling.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Well, for me personally, If I fail a social roll, I've failed it. I don't reload strictly because of that and, in fact, try to not reload at all outside of a full party wipe. I've been reloading more than usual because of bugs and the like but yeah, that's at least one "realistic" point against your tally.

I see the diceroll as a part of every day luck. Did the guard sleep well today? Did his wife happen to leave him? did he stub his toe when he got out of bed, did he win the lottery?

Aside from that it also serves another roleplay purpose: If I'm playing a grumpy old halfling with a meanstreak a mile wide, and a tendency to chew tobacco with his mouth open, my charisma modifier is going to generally be low. Now let's say he wants to intimidate a guard into letting him pass. This is not very likely to happen, but damn wouldn't it be funny if it did? With a straight up stat check this would never happen. A roll at the very least gives the little bugger a chance. It makes for good stories.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
I like them and I like the chance to fail. not everyone are cronic save scummers. :p

L
L
Originally Posted by L337Fool
Yes, I realize this may make some people cringe but does rolling a virtual dice really do it for anyone?
Yeah, it's D&D and seems to be a fairly popular feature.

journeyman
journeyman
I usually play games on Ironman mode, so I stick to the results I get. Neither do I let my players reload when I DM :p Savescumming is no fun for me personally. And I kinda like seeing the dice being rolled.

O
stranger
stranger
O
I hate the whole dice mechanic in terms of the pop-up visualization. Click once, wait for the dice to roll forever, click once more. Breaks the immersion. I understand some people may like it, but others like me hate it. It seems very polarized, and I think having an option to disable the pop-up visibility and having the die roll happen in the background would be best.

apprentice
apprentice
Hard pass for me, I want all the dice. DND is the mother of RPGs, and its been going for decades. Rolling dice is fun. More dice ingame please.

journeyman
journeyman
I don't hate the dice but,

Do not give me dice rolls, behind dice rolls in dialogue options.
Some of the checks are really high for early game, some I understand but others are questionable.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Dice rolls are an integral part of DND, like it or not. I personally love it. I don't think it breaks immersion at all. I used to love telling the DM what I was going to do, and then hearing the 20 sider being rolled multiple time behind his screens while you waited in anticipation for the results. If someone doesn't like them, maybe have an option to hide the rolls and do it behind the scenes, simply turning off the animations. Please don't take them away from us that love them. If people want to game the system by reloading every time they fail something, that's on them. A lot of us abide with it, and play on, unless you just hit a brick wall. In pencil and paper, the DM always tried to make sure things were fair and gave breaks for the sake of keeping the story and game moving. With the computer, when you simply can't go on, then you have to reload, not before that dead end though. That's the way I try to play, and I think a lot of other folks do too.

Deepblue
journeyman
journeyman
I think some things translate poorly to a video game. Like missing when you can see you didn't.

I do like the conversation rolls though, it adds a little tension, not knowing for certain whether or not a persuade or such will work. It might be better for some people if the roll was hidden, though.

Originally Posted by L337Fool
Lets be realistic, how many people are really abiding by the honor system with encounters requiring checks so that they aren't just saying and reloading every other second till it goes their way. It really makes the game a bit more of a grind than it has to be restarting every few minutes. I feel like a straight stat check (you either have it or you don't) or a faster save and load feature would greatly improve the playability of the game. Yes, I realize this may make some people cringe but does rolling a virtual dice really do it for anyone? At the very least just make the dice rolls optional (like a classic game mode) along with a straight stat check. I feel improving the situation from where it stands now would lead to a far more enjoyable and accessible experience.

I mean they could.
I don't think they should and if they removed a pretty core mechanic of the D&D 5th edition ruleset, that they've marketed the game on being based on, I'd expect them to also do a refund campaign because I'd probably want my money back and wait to see what other basic premises they might put on the chopping block before paying for the game.

Maybe you just need to accept that sometimes you can't succeed at everything in a game and "roll with the punches?" wink

Last edited by Khorvale; 10/10/20 12:44 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Imagine the outcry here if dice rolls were abandoned lol

F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Hard pass on removing dice rolls. The animation could probably do with being automated, though. I don't like having to click to choose my dialog option, then click again to roll, then click again after the roll is concluded.

I would skip at least the click after clicking on the dialog option, seems redundant. I would just roll the dice right away, although I would not miss if they make it disappear completely. I am more interested in the cutscene.

Originally Posted by Fisher
Hard pass on removing dice rolls. The animation could probably do with being automated, though. I don't like having to click to choose my dialog option, then click again to roll, then click again after the roll is concluded.

Originally Posted by Minsc1122
I would skip at least the click after clicking on the dialog option, seems redundant. I would just roll the dice right away, although I would not miss if they make it disappear completely. I am more interested in the cutscene.

Yeah the whole dice-rolling animation could be a lot less click-intensive and a bit more unobtrusive for sure, but the mechanic itself should stay true to the D&D rules and the CORRECT information about the dice roll should be readily available. Still peeved at how they turned the skill check mechanic upside down crazy

Last edited by Khorvale; 10/10/20 01:01 PM.
stranger
stranger
Sorry OP, doesn't agree. Failing social checks is core experience of dnd and what makes it so often hilarious, and other times creates new branches of intrigue that wouldn't have existed otherwise.

If you do indeed reload saves at each fail check, you're missing out. A story where heroes succeed everything they do is quite boring indeed.

As for me, I'm actually sad I can't see _all_ the dice rolls (the log window on the right shows the rolls in combat, but not for all checks). I don't especially need an animation, though, having detailed logs is cool enough.

apprentice
apprentice
Yes absolutely, it needs hover-over information. In the log, when looking at the DC, in conversation checks, for attack chances etc etc

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Nope. I absolutely love the dice rolls. They need to change the UI of it to show your character stats, but definitely keep, or even increase, dice rolls.

journeyman
journeyman
No, common... Dice rolls are fun! Failure create great stories.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard