Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I was just getting my ass handed to me by the phase spider matriarch, but thanks to "Help" it stood no chance. It kept killing my weakling mage, which Shadowheart kept helping back up, while Lae'Zel and Astarion kept hacking away at her. I should be dead many MANY times over, but because Help is actually a miniature Cure Wounds, I suspect any fight that involves a single opponent will forever be cheesable with Help.

If someone is dying, Help should be a medicine check DC(10) to stabilize so death saves aren't rolled anymore, and then after the fight the stabilized person can get his 1 HP to stand back up.

apprentice
apprentice
This was a feat in 5e, to be able to heal someone once per short rest with a medicine kit, now it's just, down, up, down, up, down, up.

I can see a comprimise since it's a video game, have heal get them up at 0 HP in a staggered state where they can only move, can't take any actions (maybe allow drinking a health potion) so they can get someplace safe (Like heading straight for a temple if it's anything like BG1 & 2). If a fight breaks out while moving with someone in a staggered state, they are capable of moving to a safe distance away from the fight and let everyone else do the fighting.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Slapstick
I was just getting my ass handed to me by the phase spider matriarch, but thanks to "Help" it stood no chance. It kept killing my weakling mage, which Shadowheart kept helping back up, while Lae'Zel and Astarion kept hacking away at her. I should be dead many MANY times over, but because Help is actually a miniature Cure Wounds, I suspect any fight that involves a single opponent will forever be cheesable with Help.

If someone is dying, Help should be a medicine check DC(10) to stabilize so death saves aren't rolled anymore, and then after the fight the stabilized person can get his 1 HP to stand back up.

I feel like your description is a reason why the help action should be kept the way it is. If you would be dead that often without the help action then the game clearly needs that option to keep the difficulty balanced. Either that or the game difficulty should be tuned down so that you're not in a position where you're that close to death so often.

I still died the first time to the Matriarch even with help and without it I straight up would be incapable of beating that fight and several others besides.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I often use 'help' only for the character to go down straight away as the enemies are smart and know which ones to go for.

Love and sausages xx
enthusiast
enthusiast
That happens to me a lot too. But it's still been the only thing that's gotten my fat out of the frier on a number of occasions.

journeyman
journeyman
+1

Help and 80% of the other bonus actions are way too strong.

Revivify scroll is also weird....there is already an NPC that revives your companions at camp

old hand
old hand
I've been cheesing with the unlimited magical heals from "Help" too. It does feel like cheating when someone is going down, up, down, up endlessly.

When someone goes down they should stay down for the rest of the fight. Only magical healing should bring someone back to the fight.

On a related note, we need to be able to use potions on downed characters.

And why does the scroll of revivify teleport the target? It's just too easy and gamey to bring back unconscious characters.

Last edited by 1varangian; 10/10/20 12:08 PM.
veteran
veteran
Well, maybe it needed some fixing to be more close to the original pen & paper skill but I wouldn't exactly call an ability that wastes an action and bring a companion back on his feet with 1 HP "broken", nor I would even dream to BRAG about spending half of a fight spamming it on a constantly-downed ally.

I mean, I already consider a fight where I need to use it once a half failure...

Last edited by Tuco; 10/10/20 12:14 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
apprentice
apprentice
If it was once per short rest on the character I could head cannon it that everyone has the feat and an infinite supply of med kits, but it's infinite and there has been a big problem with the infinite actions Larian has introduced.

Maybe this is intended for the easier difficulties when they later introduce those.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Tuco
Well, maybe it needed some fixing to be more close to the original pen & paper skill but I wouldn't exactly call an ability that wastes an action and bring a companion back on his feet with 1 HP "broken", nor I would even dream to BRAG about spending half of a fight spamming it on a constantly-downed ally.

I mean, I already consider a fight where I need to use it once a half failure...

First of all I was not in any way bragging, I said I cheesed the fight. And in fights where there's only one opponent they'll keep downing the same character again and again, while I'll keep picking them up again and again, and my other two will keep stabbing the critter. That's just plainly busted.
The suggestion to be able to use healing potions on an ally is good though. Could replace it with the ability to spend a potion on ally, and grey it out if you don't have any potions to spare.

veteran
veteran
I disagree with this idea. With a party size limited to 4, and healing in 5e being only useful for patching up after fights or standing downed people back up, without the Help actions existence, a Cleric will be mandatory in the party, and that's a strike against party variety. Not to mention that if it's the Cleric which goes down, you're screwed.

Link Copied to Clipboard