Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I was wondering where I could buy hand crossbows? I can't seem to find them on any vendors in my playthroughs, only the light and heavy ones. Is this because it's in early access?

Last edited by AshesOnWool; 10/10/20 03:32 PM.
stranger
stranger
Buy haha if you have Astorian or if you're a rogue you don't have to buy anything just still all you want! The thievery system is not well implemented yet so enjoy the free stuff.

We create empire of corpses...
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Jolintrop
Buy haha if you have Astorian or if you're a rogue you don't have to buy anything just still all you want! The thievery system is not well implemented yet so enjoy the free stuff.

How exactly does that answer his question? To the best of my knowledge, hand crossbows have not been added to the game at this time - and you can't steal something that isn't in the game Jolintrop.

stranger
stranger
There are crossbows.
I found one.
I'm the dungeon left the first town. But I'm Not sure.

Der Schmerz ist nur vorübergehend. Ihr solltet die Prozedur eigentlich überleben.
I think the tiefling trader in the grove has a +1 crossbow on sale (or it could be the other trader). Also, I had it in some loot.

stranger
stranger
I've played through everything twice now, there are no hand crossbows(yet), there are light and heavy crossbows though, if that helps.

N
old hand
old hand
N
I just found one, on a dead drow body.

He was next to the petrified drow soldiers and captain, where you fight the spectator, left of Selune outpost.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Nyanko; 11/10/20 07:12 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Is there even any reason to use a hand crossbow over higher damage crossbows?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Marcus Artorius

Rogues have proficiency in it. Apart from them, I don't think there is.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F

They only take up one hand, meaning you can (hypothetically) use them with a shield.

journeyman
journeyman
Using them with a shield, and on tabletop the "Loading" property can be worked around by holding a hand crossbow in each hand for multiple attacks. Don't know if thats a feature that will tracked or implemented meaninfully, but hey.

Also the aesthetics of a 1h crossbow are nice.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Just checked and while the crossbow takes only one slot, there is no way to select or drag a shield in the left hand at the moment. Hope it will be added at some point. Would be really nice.

[Linked Image]

Note that it is also impossible to select the crossbow in the melee weapon slot. I think this will have to be reworked for it to happen cause it seems the game doesn't allow to have two melee sets or two range sets to select from at the moment. And as well, no combination works, dagger + hand crossbow for example.

Last edited by Nyanko; 12/10/20 09:40 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Nyanko
Just checked and while the crossbow takes only one slot, there is no way to select or drag a shield in the other at the moment. Hope it will be added at some point. Would be really nice.

*img

Note that it is also impossible to select the crossbow in the melee weapon slot. I think this will have to be reworked for it to happen cause it seems the game doesn't allow to have two melee sets or two range sets to select from at the moment. And as well, no combination works, dagger + hand crossbow for example.

Extremely disappointing, hope they work on that

enthusiast
enthusiast

With Crossbow Expert feat you get additional bonus attack with hand crossbow if you use action to attack with one handed weapon, which can be hand crossbow btw. Meaning at level 4 you can already have 2 attacks as opposed to one, that's 2d6, already better than heavy crossbow, especially considering that each attack gets your ranged modifier, dipping and so on. That's easy more than greatsword damage-wise.

You can then take a Hunter Ranger, combine with Sharpshooter perk at level 8 and Hunter's Mark and then if you use hand crossbow you will have 3 ranged attacks per turn, each with +10 damage bonus from Sharpshooter, additional 1d6 damage from Hunter's mark, additional 1d4 from dipping and maybe even poison on top. That is outright the best single target damage at that level or one of the top ones possible at level 10 cap intended for BG3 and it is better than Heavy Crossbow, because of Sharpshooter, Hunter's Mark, dipping and so on rolling of number of attacks and with hand xbow you get 3 compared to usual 2.

If you calculate all these bonuses 2 attacks as Hunter Ranger with Heavy Crossbow (2 attacks per turn) will net:

Heavy Crossbow: 2d10
Sharpshooter: +20
Dexterity (16 -> +3): 6
Enchant (+1): 2
Hunter's Mark: 2d6
Dipping: 2d4

Total 34-68 damage in one turn, assuming it all hits.

As Hand Crossbow (3 attacks per turn):

Hand Crossbow: 3d6
Sharpshooter: +30
Dexterity (16 -> +3): 9
Enchant (+1): 3
Hunter's Mark: 3d6
Dipping: 3d4

Total 51-90 damage in one turn, assuming it all hits.

That's a massive difference in favor of Hand Crossbow there.

Last edited by Gaidax; 12/10/20 10:36 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard