Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Okay so the minotaur in BG3 isnt like any I have ever encountered in D&D. They should be adjusted a bit They appear to be able to Jump an infinite height distance ( they jumped to the top of the gate in Selunite Outpost) while every other creature cant jump that high. I had the gate closed and they just jumped to the top of it. Im not talking from one platform to the top of the gate, Im talking from the bottom of the gate to the top and both just did this in my game. Second, the damage they deal seems a bit odd. One round damage from any of the minotaur's on one of my characters with a charge and swing for over 100+ damage in one round. One character managed to save on the dodge but still died from the damage. That is without critical hits. So this means that both minotaur's that attacked maxed out damage on both hits each, in the same round. While possible, very unlikely. I feel like I'm playing with an angry DM that just wants to kill my characters. :-(

Last edited by BadKarma; 10/10/20 04:45 PM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I knockbacked a minotaur on a bridge with eldricht blast, and it got stuck there doing nothing. No ranged abilities could hit him, but he couldnt react at all. I just went in and clubbed it down slowly (with mage as well).

apprentice
apprentice
Are you talking about the minotaurs in the Underdark location?
Or are there others?
Anyway, they did not cause trouble at all.
I had one bottle of amazing Wyvern Poison in my backpack. 14d6 (if Dual-Wield) Poison damage in addition to physical damage.
And it looks like my adventurers discovered a shotcut to this location. Love this game!
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Shurik; 14/10/20 10:04 AM.
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
Originally Posted by Shurik
Are you talking about the minotaurs in the Underdark location?
Or are there others?
Anyway, they did not cause trouble at all.
I had one bottle of amazing Wyvern Poison in my backpack. 14d6 (if Dual-Wield) Poison damage in addition to physical damage.
And it looks like my adventurers discovered a shotcut to this location. Love this game!
[Linked Image]

That the hole that the Queen Phase Spider was in? I notice that to. Yet when I fell I died when I landed right near the Minotaur patrol.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by FreshRevenge

That the hole that the Queen Phase Spider was in? I notice that to. Yet when I fell I died when I landed right near the Minotaur patrol.

Yeah, and you should cast Feather Fall spell

old hand
old hand
I definitely didnt beat them the first time. I do, however, appreciate that and it forced me to actually think.

What is the problem you are solving? Does your proposed change solve the problem? Is your change feasible? What else will be affected by your change? Will your change impact revenue? Does your change align with the goals and strategies of the organizations (Larian, WotC)?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Cheese is the answer you're looking for.

addict
addict
Was just doing this and fuck that fight.

A jump, and what, 2 attacks in 1 turn? It's like the people who made that encounter and designed their abilities was high. 3 attacks with 1 knockback ability in 1 turn...while ur fighting on tiny bridge and high elevations is a recipe for disaster. It is a level 4 party. It is absurd.

There is a difference between an hard encounter and one that is designed to just punish you until you come up with some amazing min-max strategy or cheese it.

"Charge: If the minotaur moves at least 10 ft. straight toward a target and then hits it with a gore Attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 9 (2d8) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 14 Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 10 ft. away and knocked prone.

Labyrinthine Recall: The minotaur can perfectly recall any path it has traveled.

Reckless: At the start of its turn, the minotaur can gain advantage on all melee weapon Attack rolls it makes during that turn, but Attack rolls against it have advantage until the start of its next turn.

Actions Greataxe: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) slashing damage.

Gore: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage."

Those are the abilities of Minotaur in 5e book, i dont see a jump that knocks you prone or the possibility to attack 2x a turn on top of that also the charge mechanic. Larian really needs to just look at the Monster handbook and get attacks and stats straight from there instead of trying to homebrew everything for some...w/e reason? Cheesing fights doesn't give you a sense of accomplishment or w/e, winning a fight that was hard is fun, and worth it. Cheesing isn't and majority of the players won't be cheesing and I definitely don't want to look up cheese straights for fights with monsters who stats and attacks are turned up to 20.

Last edited by UnderworldHades; 15/10/20 03:00 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by UnderworldHades
Was just doing this and fuck that fight.

There is a difference between an hard encounter and one that is designed to just punish you until you come up with some amazing min-max strategy or cheese it.

Well that's the thing, you forgot this is a Larian game.

B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I killed Minotaurs with just luck. Almost 3 times successful saves, my battlemaster's frighten attacks success each time.

Or you need to chease to kill, just like push it off cliff...

G
stranger
stranger
G
After trying to defeat them a couple of times i had the response of, well shit i need to run away. Thus i started running from the minotaurs towards the keep. Having forgotten to deactivate the energy beam; the statues promptly roasted my party trapping me between a gory death or fiery inferno. This prompted the idea, what if i lured the minotaurs into the trap. Well first things first, the traps did not trigger against them, secondly the minotaurs have certainly not skipped practising their jumps as they easily jumped onto the walls. Somehow i managed despite all these shenanigans. A bit frustrating that they are able to destroy the party so easily.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gremico
After trying to defeat them a couple of times i had the response of, well shit i need to run away. Thus i started running from the minotaurs towards the keep. Having forgotten to deactivate the energy beam; the statues promptly roasted my party trapping me between a gory death or fiery inferno. This prompted the idea, what if i lured the minotaurs into the trap. Well first things first, the traps did not trigger against them, secondly the minotaurs have certainly not skipped practising their jumps as they easily jumped onto the walls. Somehow i managed despite all these shenanigans. A bit frustrating that they are able to destroy the party so easily.

Using the keep's defenses was the first idea I had after getting everyone in my party one-shot. It worked perfectly for me; it must be finnicky under the hood if it didn't for you. Something for them to look at in a future patch, I guess.

Z
journeyman
journeyman
Z
I fought them for the first time today, I found a rock that if you stand directly in the middle of it they can't jump up to you so they just stand angrly and do nothing since they have no ranged attacks...

enthusiast
enthusiast
I just summoned my ogre mercs.

totally worth it!

I found out that you can skip the minotaur encounter entirely. When we can level higher than 4, I think I'll give their encounter another go, but it's much too hard to defeat two minotaurs when we are capped at level 4 frown.

Originally Posted by Zaxtaj
I fought them for the first time today, I found a rock that if you stand directly in the middle of it they can't jump up to you so they just stand angrly and do nothing since they have no ranged attacks...

This sounds like they will fix this soon, this way of killing them sounds exactly like a bug.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Where tf are the minotaurs? I have yet to encounter. lmao

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Farsalis
Where tf are the minotaurs? I have yet to encounter. lmao

That's all underdark baby.

F
stranger
stranger
F
Damn, must have missed it then.

L
addict
addict
L
First time they started wiping my party. Second time i actually was carefully in a dangerous environment.. snuck in.. and i think both were dead within a few rounds. And no pushing off ledges. Haha

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard