Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by Black_Elk
Sorry gang, Lae'zel only has eyes for me, clearly...

Now lets knife fight about it at prom!

Shadowheart's bangs might cut you like a Roy Orbison song, but we all know the Astral plane is forever!
Gith gal's got the long game. That's why she kicks things off by making fun of your nose hehe

Honestly I'm pretty pleased so far. At least they aren't boring. I'm sure team Good will deliver something a bit more mundane to pursue.

ps. it would be cool if companions had a few alt looks to change things like hair style. I'm all for that

Unfortunately, Lae'zel will not believe in monogamous relationships according to Larian. So, if you decide to romance her, just be aware.

F
stranger
stranger
F
They need to make Alfira a companion. She's got to be better at her job (bard) than Shadowheart (trickery cleric), and she's the rare person who seems to be sincerely good in this game.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtlIVwoDQwE[/video]

L
stranger
stranger
L
You know for Shadowheart, I chose my character to be a cleric of Selune just to see if she was going to react but got nothing...i'm kinda disappointed here. Also I think all of the companions are going to stab me in the back because apparently they don't like it when you try to help people. As for romance well none of the guys do it for me, I like Astarion but I would rather strangle him than romance him. Wyll made a pact with a devil...yeah no dice. Gale is snarky i guess *shrug* I mean come on none of them are like Valen Shadowbreath or my favorite paladin obsessed with wells Casavir or even plain Aarin Gend. Yeah sorry evil character or morally questioned one just don't do it for me.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by cool-dude01

Unfortunately, Lae'zel will not believe in monogamous relationships according to Larian. So, if you decide to romance her, just be aware.

Do you have a link to where they confirmed stuff like this?

Vile #695741 14/10/20 07:33 AM
It was something that I read from here: https://www.vg247.com/2020/02/27/baldurs-gate-3-dungeons-and-dragons/

Adam Smith, who is the senior writer for Larian Studios said this: "So, Lae'zel, she’s the Githyanki. And Githyanki don’t really do monogamy,” .... “So if you sleep with Lae'zel one night at camp, the next night you might well just find her sleeping with somebody else. And she’s going to be like, ‘oh, that was a bit of fun, wasn’t it? How are you doing?’" This exact statement is found towards the bottom of the page I linked, where Romances are talked about.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Vive la difference and all that, but Lae'zel just doesn't press any buttons for me. If her personality was transferred to a less-alien-looking species/race, then I think I would still be wary.

Shadowheart would be fine apart from those ears. As a possessor of a fine pair of bat-wings myself, I'm not against large ears on a woman. Elf ears, though, are too much. It's almost like elves are a different race! Show me a dwarf woman every time; I do like a romantic partner who is short and stout, as my wife would testify to.

No beards though, I'm not that open-minded.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by cool-dude01
It was something that I read from here: https://www.vg247.com/2020/02/27/baldurs-gate-3-dungeons-and-dragons/

Adam Smith, who is the senior writer for Larian Studios said this: "So, Lae'zel, she’s the Githyanki. And Githyanki don’t really do monogamy,” .... “So if you sleep with Lae'zel one night at camp, the next night you might well just find her sleeping with somebody else. And she’s going to be like, ‘oh, that was a bit of fun, wasn’t it? How are you doing?’" This exact statement is found towards the bottom of the page I linked, where Romances are talked about.

I'd be suprised if you couldn't eventually actually nurture/mentor her into a monogamous relationship. I mean she seems at times about as malleable as RPG LIs usually/always are. It would be wonderful, if she were immune to such an approach though, mocking the PC mercilessly if they try to set her straight. But so far it seems(the scene is under construction though) to take just a single intimidation check(intimidate her, really?) to flip her from domme to a sub in the sack, which is kinda underwhelming. Also IMO having the option to intimidate her to submission sort of feeds into the commonplace (idotic) notion/fantasy that all dominant women are just women who haven't met a REAL MAN, or some such utter nonsense.

There's nothing that displeases me about the current LI's appearance(they're in that respect perfect, and need no unsolicited comments on their appearance), but them not having any hard(apart from preferred/excluded gender), immutable sexual preferences, that the PC can't alter or "fix", would be a serious turn off for me.

Though, I have to say, that, if you fail the check, Lae'zel's instructive answer is spot on.

Last edited by IdPreferNotTo; 14/10/20 01:44 PM.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
L
L
Originally Posted by IdPreferNotTo
Also IMO having the option to intimidate her to submission sort of feeds into the commonplace (idotic) notion/fantasy that all dominant women are just women who haven't met a REAL MAN, or some such utter nonsense.
I think that was meant to reflect Githyanki culture. She also approves when the character dominates others.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Labayu
Originally Posted by IdPreferNotTo
Also IMO having the option to intimidate her to submission sort of feeds into the commonplace (idotic) notion/fantasy that all dominant women are just women who haven't met a REAL MAN, or some such utter nonsense.
I think that was meant to reflect Githyanki culture. She also approves when the character dominates others.

Well, I was pointing out meanings based on few core beliefs:

1)Stories are not self-contained things, which among other things, means they (knowingly or otherwise) reflect and reinforce the culture/reality we live in IRL.

2)No writer has control of all the levels of meaning in her/his work.

You stating that the option to top Lae'zel, is in accordance with the lore, is IMO just a way of saying the writer fully means(controls the meanings they impart in the text) what they say, and that meanings are contained within story/lore, with no ties to to IRL.

But I'm not sure the choice you're given is as lore friendly as you make it seem. Well I'm no dnd expert, but the gith seem to believe the strong should lead(warrior culture that respects prowess), but at the same time view other races as primitives and slaves. Plus they're at least semi-matriarchal since their main faction is led by an lich-queen they revere as a goddess. So I'm not so sure her insta-submission to my drow warlock male even reflects gith culture very well.

Also her approving that we dominate others, doesn't translate to submissive tendencies. IMO being a wuss, or not exerting power over others just makes the PC seem weak and not worth keeping around(or dominating. I mean what's the point of domming some gobbo toelicker, eh?). Or so I'd assume. She also sets out to dominate the PC at the party, only to seemingly submit and forgo her core "kink", if you intimidate her.

Last edited by IdPreferNotTo; 14/10/20 03:15 PM.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
Maybe lets start from the beging.

A romance is a relationship between two people who are in love with each other but who are not married to each other. ... Romance refers to the actions and feelings of people who are in love, especially behaviour which is very caring or affectionate.

We do not have a romance or anything like that in EA BG3, call it buy its name, one night stand, hock up, casual sex.

I see no curting, no flirting, no interaction to initate a "romance"

Just a question do you want to bang? Yes? no? please fill check mark.

Originally Posted by xMardeRx

A romance is a relationship between two people who are in love with each other but who are not married to each other. ... Romance refers to the actions and feelings of people who are in love, especially behaviour which is very caring or affectionate.

What?! In my experience being married to each other doesn't end the romance. Just sayin' ...

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Imryll
What?! In my experience being married to each other doesn't end the romance. Just sayin' ...

Cannot agree enough.

The early part of attempting to get romantically closer to an acquaintance is either wooing or stalking, depending on your methods and/or ethics.

Last edited by Sadurian; 14/10/20 02:57 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by xMardeRx

We do not have a romance or anything like that in EA BG3, call it buy its name, one night stand, hock up, casual sex.

I see no curting, no flirting, no interaction to initate a "romance"

Just a question do you want to bang? Yes? no? please fill check mark.

Shadowheart has a few dialogue options before the party scene that are flirty in nature and her party scene is not a "do you want to bang?" one. You just chat/flirt under the moonlight while drinking wine and can end it with a kiss. You can also lock yourself out of it depending on certain things you do in the storyline.

Gale's romance start with a courting scene not related to the main quest (not sure how to trigger it). Without that scene, he's not an option at the party.

Lae'zel, Wyll and Astarion are horny bunnies. Wyll even hits on both Lae'zel and Shadowheart in party banter...and Shadowheart is not impressed.

journeyman
journeyman
I think the RI works well in adding another dimension to a character.

As for the better female companion my vote goes to Lae'zel. I love her blunt direct approach and her banter with Shadowheart is quite amusing. Actually, the party banter in general is great - serious DragonAge vibes.

Last edited by Vexor; 14/10/20 03:11 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
So far, i find the male characters a lot more enjoyable then the females.
But i am biased because i am gay.

I really hope they will add more lighthearted women like Imoen, Nalia or Aerie.
Or a really wise and grown up woman like Jaheira.

Just my 2 cents.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
Originally Posted by Aelorin
I really hope they will add more lighthearted women like Imoen, Nalia or Aerie.

Be careful what you wish for. If they introduce a BG1 Imoen, I'm afraid I shall be exploring the mechanics of killing off Companions. Or at least 'losing' them in dangerous territory. Many of my initial BG1 characters started their careers by killing Imoen - just so I didn't have to listen to her. Sometimes I used the BG editor to turn her avatar into a gnome; strangely this took some of the sting out of that voice and those inane comments.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Osprey39
Originally Posted by Arideya
Originally Posted by Osprey39
I've never understood why people care about romance options in games like this. Maybe I'm just too old but I prefer my love interests to actually not be made of 1s and 0s. I wish there was an option to just disable any dialogue related to that stuff. It does nothing for me.

Well, in RL I have recently been engaged to probably one of the best men in the world, so I am perfectly happy with my LI. But in games I love playing through romance paths with variety of characters (assholes included) because they are fun and provide content expansion such as plot points, storylines, conversations, situations, to the story. Some even add personal stakes and alternative solutions such as Morrigan in Dragon Age Origins. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

That's fine. You do you. I was just saying that personally I'm not into it and I would turn it off if I could. Call it a dissenting opinion smile My own disdain for pretend romance arcs aside, I find it odd that these games seldom if ever include any friendship type relationship building with companion characters. I would be more interested in participating in sitting around the campfire drinking and poking fun at my buddies for how they almost got killed by a level 2 goblin earlier in the day. In my mind, that's more the type of banter that would go on. Maybe it's a guy thing smile I will say that generally when I am trying to save the world (or my own life in this case), my interest in bedding some comely wench kind of gets put on the back burner :P

Play a male character in Dragon Age Inquisition, and romance Josephine, you'll get exactly what you're looking for there.

apprentice
apprentice
Hello Sadurian,

I did not mean they should introduce an exact copy of Imoen or the likes, but I wanted to point out that - the BG1 and BG2 women I mentioned seem to have a rather kind and warming personality.
So that is the thing I am hoping for. Not all dark and complicated women hehe

veteran
veteran
You had some dark and complicated women in bg as well. just wasn't as common. ahh Shar Teal.... smite me

Larian's Biggest Oversight, what to do about it, and My personal review of BG3 EA
"74.85% of you stood with the Tieflings, and 25.15% of you sided with Minthara. Good outweighs evil, it seems."
journeyman
journeyman
I just met Shadowheart and I like her better than the other girl. I do wonder what is up with her name Shadowheart is weird to me I want to say. Would be nice if we could meet a companion that serves Mystra the goddess of the weave.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard