Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Synaryn Offline OP
OP Offline
So I've worked for a game company where part of my job involved gathering feedback from players. The most infuriating thing in the world was someone saying "This mechanic sucks", asking them what SPECIFICALLY about it sucks and how they'd like it changed, and getting something along the lines of "lol idk but it sucks, fix it." I've seen that all over reddit, steam, this forum. "The game is too Divinity, not D&D." - "Okay, how exactly and what should they change?" - "IDK but it's not D&D, how dare Larian not make it D&D." My blood is boiling just reading this and recalling how frustrating it was to deal with when it was my job.

This is a pretty good resource on giving more specific and helpful feedback. This is another great link with some example questions. Narrowing down the feedback as much as possible is very helpful, and personally I loved it when players gave suggestions as to how to change it. I.E "This companion is boring." = inadequate feedback, not very actionable. "This companion doesn't get enough dialogue interactions to engage me and it takes a long time to get to their backstory reveal, more interactions plox." = better feedback, actionable, tells you specifically why the character seems boring and a suggestion to change it.

A good way of doing this is whenever the game makes you feel something, especially frustration or confusion, ask why it makes you feel that way. Is the boss fight frustrating because there's too many enemies or they have too much HP? Is the tooltip confusing because it doesn't show the math or it's too short? Also, this is just personal experience, but don't be worried about getting too wordy, I loved it when I got a big essay full of indepth feedback, it really shows how much people love the game.

The more detailed, specific, and actionable the feedback we can give, the better we can help Larian make the game better.

C
C
Or you know, actually use the feedback forum where there is a very comprehensive and well written post slowly collecting the main feedback, and don't try and get it from the general forum

Last edited by CamKitty; 11/10/20 01:55 AM.
addict
addict
Well, I could do all of that work for free ... but wouldn't that impact the pay rate for the professional doing the job?

veteran
veteran
Ironically, as someone who has worked in data gathering before, you don't really seem to have done your prior research very well before commenting ^.^ (Spoken in good humour, I promise)

What threads are you referring to, with your complaints about people's practices on these forums? Cite examples please, it helps. Provide links if you can.

For the most part, feedback in this forum's feedback section is, indeed, quite specific, reasoned and detailed, and discussed at a reasonably mature and focused level by participants. Several extensive threads exist focusing on particular topics and specific elements of the game so far, why they don't work, and how they could or should be improved.

There exist in exhaustive detail threads discussing each of Larian's homebrew mechanics, their implementation of companions, the origin system, the control system, the UI, and many other facets of the game, and none that I can think of are ever left as simple as saying that it's bad and to fix it – there's nearly always a discussion of why, and how, here. I can provide some links if would like, but a scan of the actual feedback and suggestions section will turn up many of the more in depth discussions swiftly.

That said, the advice here is good advice, and I don't want to downplay that. Most folks who participate regularly here, with a few notable exception, know very well the kinds of feedback that are valuable and how to give it... but this is still good advice for those just joining an EA for the first time and wanting to pitch in.

I'll add to it that if it's bugs specifically you're reporting, as well as posting in the bug report section (technical and gameplay problems), it's very worth your while to use Larian's own dedicated bug submission form to get it directly to them – and include a save file where the bug can be easily replicated if possible (You can find their formal bug form Here).

veteran
veteran
This is over a year old thread, necro'd by a spam bot. The overall climate and nature of posts made around EA's launch window was a little different. I don't think continuing to necro it, nor challenge the merits of something that is over a year out of context is a road worth walking.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard