Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I went with a vault-dwelling human for my first play-through with the thought that this would help me learn the system, so that I could make a more educated choice for the second play through. Perhaps I was being too careful.

Actually the character build made perfect sense to me.

1. Given a choice of all the races in D&D most will still choose human. The +1 boost to all stats is hard to pass up and people coming from 3.5 are used to getting extra feats so that's probably a hold over.
2. Most players are still going to pick a male protagonist. That's the way it's always been for whatever reason.
3. Fighter.. If you've never played D&D (or any role playing game) fighter is the most obvious choice as it's the easiest to understand.
4. Head number 4 and hairstyle.. Obviously most people find that head with that hair style the most attractive in that category. Not hard to understand why a bunch of folks would choose it.

Generic Male Fighter will always make it to the final round pick at the pageant and most likely walk away with the crown.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by AerobicThrone
Originally Posted by Iveriad
They are just joking around. Because the analytics result is hilariously average.

Which is about to be expected tbh.
They may have added demon horns, elven ears, and stuffs, and make the default option a female elf.
But if we're looking purely from numbers alone, human is likely a very popular secondary or tertiary character, that most people make after they make their unique characters. If not their primary character.

Larian just found out the normal distribution

Yeah, it's just hilarious. lol

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by vyvexthorne

1. Given a choice of all the races in D&D most will still choose human. The +1 boost to all stats is hard to pass up and people coming from 3.5 are used to getting extra feats so that's probably a hold over.

As an aside.... D&D 5E has the "variant human" which only gets +1 boost to any two stats, but also gets a feat. It is actually the most popular choice in 5E, and I've never actually played at a table with someone who has chosen the vanilla human. I hope that Larian will include the variant human at a later date, but if not it's no big loss for me as I tend to play other races.

Last edited by dwheresmymana; 12/10/20 06:53 AM. Reason: sloppiness
stranger
stranger
My personal take is that the character customization is neither here nor there. There's nothing particularly extravagant about it, but it's not the worst thing ever.

Ideally I would have liked to edit my characters physical form besides just his head.

apprentice
apprentice
What did they say, we gave you horns and fire or something like that and you made your usual vault dweller. Well even in BG2 ee I couldnt force myself to play orc even though having 19 str was absolutely amazing, reason is, the character would look shitty, and best model would be half elf or human with
flail and shield and flaming fist helmet !! =))
I am the flaming fist!!! I AM THE LAW!!

journeyman
journeyman
It was actually extremely funny and good that they posted that

also..drow and dwarves have some super pretty faces available

Last edited by QuietCountryCafe; 12/10/20 07:53 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Big sheesh...

Guess what irl not every person you see is a bloody superstar either, they tried to do more realism and I think they did good. I am also sure they will add more options anyway, this game is a good 2 years off release.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by dwheresmymana

As an aside.... D&D 5E has the "variant human" which only gets +1 boost to any two stats, but also gets a feat. It is actually the most popular choice in 5E, and I've never actually played at a table with someone who has chosen the vanilla human. I hope that Larian will include the variant human at a later date, but if not it's no big loss for me as I tend to play other races.

Standard human is really pretty nice if you're trying for a build that requires more than a couple stats, although I've done some fun things with the variant too.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
There is literally ZERO character customisation in this game currently.

99% of the pre set faces are absolutely hideous, at least for men, and I say that as a gay man.

'Who do you dream of at night???' Erm, absolutely not one single one of your ugly, hideous male preset faces.

Oblivion had better faces than this game does, Id rather spend all night dreaming of Adoring Fan than any of the male faces in this game.

Proving the stereotype of gay men being hopelessly superficial and vain true eh? I see a -1 to INT and CHA here

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by QuietCountryCafe
It was actually extremely funny and good that they posted that

also..drow and dwarves have some super pretty faces available

Yes but the first ones will gut you and the 2nd will drown you in booze

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

99% of the pre set faces are absolutely hideous, at least for men, and I say that as a gay man.

'Who do you dream of at night???' Erm, absolutely not one single one of your ugly, hideous male preset faces.

Oblivion had better faces than this game does, Id rather spend all night dreaming of Adoring Fan than any of the male faces in this game.

Proving the stereotype of gay men being hopelessly superficial and vain true eh? I see a -1 to INT and CHA here

How is this any different to straight men who will only play female characters so that they don't have to stare at a mans butt all day?

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Ramien
[quote=vyvexthorne]

Standard human is really pretty nice if you're trying for a build that requires more than a couple stats, although I've done some fun things with the variant too.

Sure, I can see that. Mad characters get some help.
But man a feat at level 1 is hard to pass up. Polearm master Paladin at lvl 1. War caster cleric at lvl 1. Heavy armor master at lvl1 etc. etc.

Last edited by dwheresmymana; 12/10/20 02:09 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Dat level 1 feat option is killer.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
You don't get a feat at level 1 human in BG3. Stop looking at PnP rules and try actually playing the game.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
You don't get a feat at level 1 human in BG3. Stop looking at PnP rules and try actually playing the game.

Just talking about 5E, dude. Another poster mentioned that some BG1+2 players might have been associating humans with extra feats. And I pointed out that 5E does have a human with extra feat option. Hell, perhaps Larian will add it to the game? Perhaps not. I'm already enjoying the game as is, and there soooo many more possibilities.

Yeah, Variant feels much more in line with the other races to me.

And an extra skill! Oddly enough with my DnD group I was the only one who picked variant human, but to be fair all of us were new to DnD.

I also hope they add it in, especially since it seems to be the more popular option for human.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem

How is this any different to straight men who will only play female characters so that they don't have to stare at a mans butt all day?

It's not. It's just about the same degree of stupid, with the extra that the latter has also that extra closet trait that makes it so early 2000s

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Pretty sure it was meant to be funny. Which it kind of is.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard