Print Thread
#687947 11/10/20 08:19 AM
K
Kaldric Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
SOOOOo why in the game is firebolt nerfed from it's 5e D&D counterpart which is a 1d10 fire damage? why is it reduced to 1d6 when eldritch blast stays 1d10.. concidering elderitch blast is force damage and firebolt fire. (and can be resisted more heavily). I think the firebolt should keep its 1d10 fire damage...

Kaldric #688006 11/10/20 09:02 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T
Because it creates a fire surface which is way cheesier than in PnP due to the overtuned surface damage.

Last edited by tieboyx; 11/10/20 09:05 AM.
Kaldric #688010 11/10/20 09:05 AM
D
old hand
old hand
D
So long as surfaces are in, firebolt is pretty superior even in its current form.

Kaldric #702228 17/10/20 12:32 AM
My biggest complaints about about Firebolt after playing the game for about 40+ hours now is that I worry we wont get to see some of the cantrips that would be more rational to do what they are trying to do with. For starters, the fire surface hits too many times. Firebolt does its hit damage and then the fire surface does a hit damage. Then, often it lights the character on fire too, so they take burning damage, and they take surface fire. Often times the secondary greatly out damages the primary.

Surface effects ALL need dex saves, fire included. When you successfully meet a dex save from a Fireball, you take half damage. Other surfaces give you an opportunity to avoid the effect, the fire should at the very least give you a "half damage" save. The multi hit feature of the surface effect on turn of hit + turn of character wouldnt be as brutal if there were saves involved. In fact in may completely nerf it

The goal of "fire surface generating cantrip" would be better achieved with Create bonfire, Produce Flame. Bonfire hit and left a fire, but was concentration. Produce flame let you throw a lil 1d8 fireball but they could justify leaving the produced flame as a surface (realistically they could just convery Produce flame into the current version of Firebolt if they make Firebolt a D10)
There is also an opportunity in this game to have presdigitation, thaumaturgy, druidcraft interact differently depending on mouseover target. These cantrips all create fires

anyways, aside from those points, it has grown on me. I do wish they'd adopt a different cantrip for the function but I dont dislike the burning effect. Its just fire surface is overpowered and by proxy fire surface generators. Fire surface is the only one you caant dex save against

Last edited by pill0ws; 17/10/20 12:35 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard