Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
When I steal from someone, I expect them to react in some way. At least, NPC should notice that his pockets became lighter. But nothings happen, even if i roll 1 (Critical fail in DnD).
This feels like an exploit, because even if something needs a 20 roll, it's just a matter of time before I get it. And because the NPC doesn't do anything at all when the roll fails, I have endless attempts.
Also, because their inventory are refilled after a long rest, I can get an infinite amount of gold.

My suggestion here:
1. Pickpocket roll should have 3 stages - Success, Fail and Critical Fail
  • Success - get the item that you try to steal
  • Fail - fail to get this item, but NPC doesnt notice your hand in his pocket
  • Critical fail - NPC call the police and tries beat your ass (The behavior should vary depending on the specific character. The tiefling blacksmith must attack you, the Halfling must run to the guards, and so on)

2. NPC should start looking for the thief some time after the theft. Perhaps ask the guards to find him, or ask the nearest characters about items (May be interesting mechanics if you steal something and give it to another character)

3. Sellers should notice if you are trying to sell them their own items that you have stolen from them

4. The relation of NPC to character must change if he was caught pickpocketing

Last edited by ArtyWeiss; 11/10/20 09:19 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
#2 definitely already happens. Literally the first time I stole from someone (which was a success), he noticed and talked to me and I had the option to either pay him, go to jail, or some dialogue options with skill checks.

Also #4 definitely already happens.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I agree that stealing should be more dangerous. After 1 fail try, you shouldn't have the possibility to try again, because of the character being on alert (and items respawning is also a problem).

A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
Originally Posted by Certheri
#2 definitely already happens. Literally the first time I stole from someone (which was a success), he noticed and talked to me and I had the option to either pay him, go to jail, or some dialogue options with skill checks.

Also #4 definitely already happens.

Maybe it's a bug, but i cleared every pocket of every npc in Druid Grove and no one reacted.

apprentice
apprentice
seems like a bug, also if they notice you too many times, they will attack.

addict
addict
Part of the problem with pickpocketing is that vendors have too much shit worth stealing. But, yes, pickpocketing is automatic cheese. It was in DOS2 too.

Last edited by Emrikol; 11/10/20 03:45 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I'm just glad they got rid of the one-pickpocket-per-NPC-per-player mechanic from DOS2

Moderated by  Nicou 

Link Copied to Clipboard