Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Skin Overbone
Bunch of whining bastards as usual. Players want to experience everything in one playtrough? Learn to play an RPG, you get multiple playtroughs, that's the fun. Evil road is almost never used, gtfo I start out every time being as neutral evil as possible, which in this case lead to some massacres. Great fucking game, already got 75 hours. Needs work? no shit it's EA

Be civil, Skin Overbone.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
We can only hope Larian will finally update the resting system in the next patch.

Short rests are obsolete because you can rest anywhere at any time.
This makes all DnD classes unbalanced. You can't change something like that so drastically.

No, "just don't long rest" is not the solution here. Don't argue that the player is at fault for using long rests too much. The system is wrong. Players start abusing the unlimited heal and ressource refill option. At that point, you have to expect everyone to do it. Which means you have to make encounters more difficult. Which is going to force even more players to press long rest. This is a terrible system and if this doesn't get changed, then BG3 will have a bedroll just like DOS2, but the BG3 bedroll is teleporting yourself to camp, long rest and spend about a minute doing that, whereas it was only 1 button on DOS2. This is bad.

If you don't abuse long rest after every combat, you potentiall miss out on lots of nice story content. Players want to experience this content. So why does Larian force us to long rest so much just to experience story and companion dialogue? This needs to be adressed.

I can't stress enough how terrible the resting system is. Its bad for casual players who want to experience the story. And its bad for players who want a challenging game, because the game is only challenging if the player decides to not use the tools given to them, that is resting all the time.

The game has way too many scrolls and food. I hope this is just for testing purposes. Atleast 20% of food, scrolls and potions have to get removed from the game.

Empty containers drag the game out. There is nothing valuable in having like 20% of the barrels be empty. You know players are going to check those. Don't make players waste their time. Remove empty barrels so that players can have fun playing the game instead of staring down into an empty barrel.

Why do you put poison bottles to coat your weapons into the game, if you give players "4 magic candles of unlimited coat-in-fire" in the first dungeon of the game.

Remove the candles, or remove poison bottles from the game. Candles are unlimited, you can always add 1d4 damage to all of your weapon attacks. It doesn't even cost an action to drop the candle from your inventory onto the ground during a battle. This is just silly.

Last edited by feedback_wizard; 15/02/21 01:18 PM.
S
S
Yes the big issue is D&D 5e but not because it is a tabletop rule set. The problem is the fact that D&D 5e is a trivialized rule set. Compared to Pathfinder or the older versions of D&D it has no depth. Char. creation is boring as well as level ups. Nothing to do.

Last edited by schpas; 02/02/22 09:21 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
OP basically wants Larian to streamline the game and remove mechanics. That's exactly what I don't want in gaming. Worse enough that there is no allignment system anymore. Isn't that enough?

I was so shocked when I was able to join the mage guild in Skyrim, even though I was playing melee and didn't had one spell. Lol I was even allowed to buy a scroll to pass the test. ;(

Last edited by Athkatla FC; 03/02/22 02:00 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I agree with OP fully, I have exactly all of those issues. Like I feel compelled to savescum because I wanted to see the outcome of some answer I gave in a conversation, and a dice roll prevents me from though I have +10 and the check is a DC15 or DC20. But a D20 has so many outcomes and the game loves to let you roll low seemingly. Or struggling with only four party members when I know I need someone for Perception checks and to open locks/disarm traps while needing someone for conversations. I also feel my Wizard uses more cantrips then anything else, because Rank 1 spell slots end at 4 with level 3, why can't I get one more rank 1 spellslot per level, so I have like 12 or so with level 12. I get it higher ranks should be less common but only having 4 rank 1 sucks.

But... that is the DnD system, I never liked it in computer games, on table top it is a fine system, like you said with a GM. If you as example fail at Perception to find an important clue a good GM will give you other opportunities to gain that clue later on... a video game doesn't.

And yeah... sorry for the Necro.

M
OP Offline
M
Genuinely forgot I'd written this, lol.

Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
Originally Posted by Momoka
I agree with OP fully, I have exactly all of those issues. Like I feel compelled to savescum because I wanted to see the outcome of some answer I gave in a conversation, and a dice roll prevents me from though I have +10 and the check is a DC15 or DC20. But a D20 has so many outcomes and the game loves to let you roll low seemingly. Or struggling with only four party members when I know I need someone for Perception checks and to open locks/disarm traps while needing someone for conversations. I also feel my Wizard uses more cantrips then anything else, because Rank 1 spell slots end at 4 with level 3, why can't I get one more rank 1 spellslot per level, so I have like 12 or so with level 12. I get it higher ranks should be less common but only having 4 rank 1 sucks.

But... that is the DnD system, I never liked it in computer games, on table top it is a fine system, like you said with a GM. If you as example fail at Perception to find an important clue a good GM will give you other opportunities to gain that clue later on... a video game doesn't.

And yeah... sorry for the Necro.

I get what your saying but a lot of this is by design, it is called consequences of choices. In my first run through I did not have a Rogue. I quickly adapted as I needed to with my Bard learning the needed skills to make him better at locking picking and then my Wizard acquiring Knock so no lock was impossible. (Wish they made Knock a ritual spell)

In my new play through I am playing Paladin (traditional) and thus find myself not being able to use a lot of dialog options. I will not knowing lie nor will I work with evil in any way. This time no save scumming and even lock picks I only allow one retry using picks. Turned off the Karma dice as well. The result for me has been a more challenging play through.

A Wizard living by Cantrips (or a Cleric for that matter) is what they are supposed to do. The powerful spells are exactly that, powerful spells to overcome major obstacles. Instead play smarter. Cantrips tied with using the environment can do amazing things. In fact compared to early days of DnD the Wizard today is very powerful. Cantrips where way more limited as was the use of spell slots.

I want to be clear I understand your frustration, not every gamer plays the same or enjoys the same kind of play.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I honestly dont get any of the complaints of the OP.

This sounds very much like "but this is not what I'm used to".

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Skill Checks

I'm not a big fan of the huge variance in the d20 checks.

The difference between skill rank -1 and +5 is not impactful enough. Someone completely untrained with a negative ability modifier can easily succeed a DC10 check, while the most naturally adept and trained character at +5 can fail it. The bounded accuracy highlights this randomness further as you don't get to assign more skill points to anything.

I wish it was a d12 check instead. DC7 on a d12 would be much better at reflecting the difference between min/max skill levels in the example above.

Or you should get more skill points as you level up.
I failed a DC15 despite having +8-12... four times in a row. That is how probability works.

In order to "fix" that they would need to either use smaller dice, like a D10 instead or allow a crazy stacking of + values(up to +20) and take out that silly "critical fail" and "critical pass" mechanic. The highest natural + bonus I seen is +10, then you can add other buffs for higher.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard