Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wi1em_ Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
For my spell casters to be useful I'm going to the camp after every fight. It's a lot of clicking and scenery changing seemingly for no reason. Why can't you just automatically restore all spell slots after an encounter ends?

apprentice
apprentice
In D&D you're not supposed to rest after every fight, casters are powerful and you should use their resources carefully. Resting should be limited.

apprentice
apprentice
Lore wise, D&D uses "Vancian Casting," based off of the Dying Earth book series. The notion that magic spells, especially arcane, are so complex that they require a fair amount of preparation to ingrain in the caster's mind. They're ready at a moment's notice after that preparation period.

Divine magic requires a connect to a deity and as such is a finite resource. Same with the innate magical nature of sorcery (not in EA yet).

Last edited by Ryllharu; 11/10/20 03:01 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
yep, either make spells per encounter like pillars of eternity or limit rest in a way, but as it is unlimited rest after every combat is a shore and shouldnt be allowed imo

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Denzla
In D&D you're not supposed to rest after every fight, casters are powerful and you should use their resources carefully. Resting should be limited.

Agreed.

I'm maining a wizard and I have only long-rested three times in about 15 hours of play time. It's actually a problem because I'm way behind on character interactions.

Cantrips are being underutilized. Also, eat food instead of casting all the cleric's heals. They should be used in an emergency. Let your characters go down and use Help instead.

Casters in currently game are really useless. After one fight they are just punch bag.

apprentice
apprentice
They are very weak early levels, level 5 and beyond they start scaling super hard.

apprentice
apprentice
Compared to "Let's sleep in the dungeon for 18 days" of the Infinity Engine games? I memorized every corner of a certain dragon's dungeon where you could catch an 8 hour nap with orcs 30 feet from you.

Not really looking forward to going back to that. 5e rules mean my wizard isn't useless.

Wizards are extremely powerful with cantrips alone when combined with the environmental effects that people are requesting being toned down. Clerics are monsters on the battlefield even without their spells. They're annoying to play at low-levels but become the most overpowered class in the game.

Larian will need to figure out the balance between long-rests being character progression moments, and using them to trivialize the rest of the systems they've implemented in a really clever way.

Originally Posted by Denzla
They are very weak early levels, level 5 and beyond they start scaling super hard.

Not at all, they spell have hit chance even if they are aoe. And most of those spells cannot one shot enemy. Most powerfull for early game is magic missle, or some elements combo but for this you need two or more mages.
In DOS I prefer to have 2-3 archers to shot water arrow + lighting arrow combo or oil + fire. Mage was usefull in really late and onyl for killing big guys.

Wi1em_ Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
> casters are powerful and you should use their resources carefully

Yes, something like Shatter indeed is very powerful compared to martial abilities. But currently for example, at the max level 4, you cannot cast it more than 2 times per battle. And you can harm allies with it. And it's got a small radius, and it doesn't work well agaist tough enemies, only weak ones packed together. Seems pretty balanced to me. Why take that away? Just throw more enemies at the player (like in Goblin village) and let them use all of their abilities on every encounter, keeping the encounters fun that way.

addict
addict
There are a lot of scenes and a ton of character development that takes place at camp that allow you to get to know your companions (and yourself.) I'd hardly call them "seemingly pointless" when they're integral to the storytelling of the game.

I don't want to fall to bits 'cos of excess existential thought.

apprentice
apprentice
This game is based on D&D rules not DOS. When they implement Sorcerer with this resting mechanic they will be unstoppable with the amount of Fireballs they will have.

Originally Posted by Wi1em_
> casters are powerful and you should use their resources carefully

Yes, something like Shatter indeed is very powerful compared to martial abilities. But currently for example, at the max level 4, you cannot cast it more than 2 times per battle. And you can harm allies with it. And it's got a small radius, and it doesn't work well agaist tough enemies, only weak ones packed together. Seems pretty balanced to me. Why take that away? Just throw more enemies at the player (like in Goblin village) and let them use all of their abilities on every encounter, keeping the encounters fun that way.

Thats why we cannot test casters in game because they real power is show after level 8 if I remember correctly(last time I wasy playing D&D when 3e was out).

Wi1em_ Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
> There are a lot of scenes and a ton of character development that takes place at camp that allow you to get to know your companions (and yourself.) I'd hardly call them "seemingly pointless" when they're integral to the storytelling of the game.

Pointless for spell slot restoration.

Dragon Age had a party camp for character interaction but you weren't forced into going there to restore your ability to fight. I think that was a perfect balance. I never liked the rest mechanic in any of the games that have them and there are clearly better solutions to limiting powerful abilities as proved by other games out there.

Cleric of Innuendo
Cleric of Innuendo
It is interesting to read this thread after so many complaining that Larian are not true to D&D or Baldur's Gate and have simply created another D:OS.

The issue with resting to regain spell slots is heavily integral to the D&D mechanics. It has been that way from day one and is the way the game works. There have been plenty of calls over the decades to change to a different spellcasting system, but the legacy Vancian one-shot system is still part of the game rules and spellcaster design is balanced to reflect that. Think yourself lucky that D&D5 has moved on from the previous editions where each prepared individual spell was gone when you cast it; at least D&D5 uses spell slots to cast any of your prepared spells (which used to be the preserve of Sorcerers and Oracle). If you'd already cast your two prepared slots of Magic Missile and encountered another enemy, you'd better hope he could be defeated using Identify or your Invisible Servant.

The resting mechanic is as much an issue in the tabletop D&D5 game as with the computer version. In a GM-led game, the GM may restrict the periods between resting to stop 'long-rest-spamming', but the rules don't really make that distinction so far as I can see. So, in short, Larian have largely replicated the rules and mechanics of D&D5 for this game, and any fault in those should be directed at the D&D5 system itself rather than the BG3 game developers.

(Just for clarity, the AD&D/D&D game system is not my favourite, mainly due to its clunky character development restriction and 'artificiality'; the above complaints being examples of this).

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Rouoko

Thats why we cannot test casters in game because they real power is show after level 8 if I remember correctly(last time I wasy playing D&D when 3e was out).

You are going to be very sad.

There's been two editions designed to resolve Quadratic Wizard, Linear Fighter.

Caters get more power, but you'll never have your Batman Wizard or CODZilla of 3.x in 5e. The game was specifically designed to prevent you from being the only important character by dint of writing 'cleric' or 'wizard' on your character sheet.

D
old hand
old hand
D
Short anwser: to regain hp, used spell slots and abilities and to prevent your character from dying due to exhaustion. Also some of the story elements betwern character interactions happen at camp.

Long anwser: in dnd you have 2 types of rests. A long rest (basicly sleeping.) Which takes up 8 hours or 4 if you are an elf and short rests. Where your group just hangs around and relaxes for an hour.

Some abilities regain on a short rest like a warlocks spell slots (mind you he also has less spell slots then other classes) while others require a long rest.

If you dont sleep you build up fatigue which eventually results in death so not resting is not really an option.

Often times on pnp DND alot of character interactions (players roleplaying) happen when the party stops to camp for a bit. Ofcourse it can differ from group to group but what Larian put in the game closely resembles how groups that ive played with roleplay character inter party interactuons.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Perhaps because DnD isnt balanced around always blowing your most powerful abilities in every encounter? I mean you can ofc play that way if you prefer, it is not how DnD is intended to work however. I got to lv3 before running out of spell slots short and really started to need a long rest.

Its why there encounters are broking and resting. You can rest anywhere with no issues and lots of the fights require you to rest. They need to limit where you rest and allow for ambush while you reat

Wi1em_ Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
> It is interesting to read this thread after so many complaining that Larian are not true to D&D or Baldur's Gate and have simply created another D:OS.

I've got the advantage of growing up entirely on computer RPGs and never playing anything tabletop so my vision is unmuddied by legacy dogmas. I'm looking at the game with a very simplistic view: the story side should be interesting, the combat should be fun (diverse, tactical, dynamic, visually and aurally pleasing). How that is reached doesn't matter, as long as the end result is good. If something can be done better than in D&D then it should. In the end, the absolute majority of the players are buying the game for story and fun, not for adhering to every letter of some other ruleset, especially one not designed for computer games.

> So, in short, Larian have largely replicated the rules and mechanics of D&D5 for this game, and any fault in those should be directed at the D&D5 system itself rather than the BG3 game developers.

I would be very surprised if Larian didn't want to make a better game and/or didn't have the legal freedom to do so.

Realistically I suspect they will limit resting somehow and can only hope that it won't be a pain in the ass and will feel seamless.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard